Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703597 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »
...most people outside of the South gain most of their knowledge of the area through Social Studies in school (which tends to focus on the history of Slavery and racism in the region.)

I really doubt that this is more than a small factor.  You don't have to go back to your grade school days to be reminded every day of the legacy of racism in the South, at least if you're news-conscious.  One of the two great American political parties has been speaking in racist dog-whistles (or just plain racist language) since 1964, and which part of the country has it helped them the most consistently in?  I wish the good people of the South well, and nobody likes being stereotyped, but I gotta say I don't think the majority of Southern voters do the best PR for their region.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
One of the two great American political parties has been speaking in racist dog-whistles (or just plain racist language)

Racist dog whistles ... I like that!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
(it's a pretty common political-blog idiom, but thanks.)
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
(it's a pretty common political-blog idiom, but thanks.)

oh, dang! Can you tell I never read political blogs?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
Is this considered a political blog?
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

YoungAmerican

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »
Hey!  It's me, Jesse Thorn.  Been a quite while since I've posted here, but somebody sent me the link.

I just want to emphasize that I really love Tom and the Best Show... Tom has always been very kind to me over the course of the six or seven years I've now known him.  He just did me a big personal and professional favor like a week ago.  He's the greatest.  I've been proud to have him on my show like two or three times now, and he has an open invitation to come on my other show whenever he can.  And I love The Best Show, too.  I begged Tom to podcast it for like a year so it would be easier for me to listen to it.

Also: I think when me and Marc were talking about a few Best Show fans being weirdly mean, our point was the weird way passionate advocacy for something sometimes turns into a rejection of things that aren't the thing you're being a passionate advocate for.  For both of us, we've really only had trouble with a couple people, and we most certainly don't think that's indicative of the larger TBS audience at all.  Maybe we were clear about that... hopefully we were.  Sometimes in that kind of casual conversation you're not as clear as you could be.

I just don't want anyone to think I feel persecuted by Best Show fans.  I'm a big fan myself and so are many friends of mine and listeners to my shows and so on and so forth.  As a rule, I think Best Show listeners are really great - they're the kind of people who really get behind something they believe in, which is a very, very admirable quality.  And they have great taste.

As for me being smarmy or pretentious or what-have-you... I dunno.  It seems like some people just hear my voice, or hear the format of The Sound of Young America, and make that assumption.  I hear that about Ira, too... and Terry Gross.  Folks who couldn't be further from pretentious or smarmy, people whose lives are built around their humble curiosity about others (and also folks who are heroes of mine, professionally).  I guess that sometimes that's hard to take at face value, and people decide that it's a trick, and the person's actually being arch or pretentious.  I've sort of built my career around the opposite, so I don't know what else to do about it besides to ask folks to trust me :).

So, in summary... I love the Best Show, I love Tom, I love Friends of Tom and am a Friend of Tom, and when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

Friends?

David

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:23 AM »
Gee wiz, of course we're still friends. Does this mean you're still coming to my nephew's Bar Mitzvah in Winnipeg? I kid. Seriously, I love the show and every FOT/cool person that I know feels the same way.

Hey!  It's me, Jesse Thorn.  Been a quite while since I've posted here, but somebody sent me the link.

I just want to emphasize that I really love Tom and the Best Show... Tom has always been very kind to me over the course of the six or seven years I've now known him.  He just did me a big personal and professional favor like a week ago.  He's the greatest.  I've been proud to have him on my show like two or three times now, and he has an open invitation to come on my other show whenever he can.  And I love The Best Show, too.  I begged Tom to podcast it for like a year so it would be easier for me to listen to it.

Also: I think when me and Marc were talking about a few Best Show fans being weirdly mean, our point was the weird way passionate advocacy for something sometimes turns into a rejection of things that aren't the thing you're being a passionate advocate for.  For both of us, we've really only had trouble with a couple people, and we most certainly don't think that's indicative of the larger TBS audience at all.  Maybe we were clear about that... hopefully we were.  Sometimes in that kind of casual conversation you're not as clear as you could be.

I just don't want anyone to think I feel persecuted by Best Show fans.  I'm a big fan myself and so are many friends of mine and listeners to my shows and so on and so forth.  As a rule, I think Best Show listeners are really great - they're the kind of people who really get behind something they believe in, which is a very, very admirable quality.  And they have great taste.

As for me being smarmy or pretentious or what-have-you... I dunno.  It seems like some people just hear my voice, or hear the format of The Sound of Young America, and make that assumption.  I hear that about Ira, too... and Terry Gross.  Folks who couldn't be further from pretentious or smarmy, people whose lives are built around their humble curiosity about others (and also folks who are heroes of mine, professionally).  I guess that sometimes that's hard to take at face value, and people decide that it's a trick, and the person's actually being arch or pretentious.  I've sort of built my career around the opposite, so I don't know what else to do about it besides to ask folks to trust me :).

So, in summary... I love the Best Show, I love Tom, I love Friends of Tom and am a Friend of Tom, and when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

Friends?

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2010, 05:03:48 AM »
Friends?

Hi Jesse,

This comment is less about comedy nerds and the cliques of different fan bases, who likes whom more, and more about how the podcast audience at large feel - at least the way I feel.

As far as I'm concerned we can all be friends and think we always have been. I think the reason podcast listeners (or addicts in my case) feel that they have some sort of free for all license to judge, mock or celebrate different podcasters is that it is such an intimate, personal medium.

As devout listeners we feel (correctly or not) like an important part of the podcast "process." Podcasts, of both the good and bad varieties is a very private form of media. I've yet to really turn anyone on to any podcast ever, by just sitting someone down and saying "here, you gotta listen to this, erm... 40 minute podcast, you're really gonna enjoy it."

It just doesn't work that way. Either one makes the discovery and continues listening or it just doesn't happen.

Regardless of what podcast we're listening to, they're inside our ear canals and deep in our minds as we do the dishes, walk the dog and sit on the bus. Sometimes podcasts lull us to sleep, chat to us while we are in the shower -- and I've been known to listen whilst sitting on what Archie Bunker called the "throne." You're with us "through it all," so to speak.

What I'm saying is that the podcast format is so very intimate, listeners quickly (and erroneously) begin to think we are getting to know you somehow. Because it seems sometimes you are speaking directly to us. This is a different medium than radio, because we can start and stop you as we wish, we can skip through the parts that don't interest us and we can go back in time and listen to earlier "episodes."

And, I imagine, as listeners we think our ideas are as important as the ones who are "speaking into microphones." Of course they are slightly important, but whether you're interested in them is another story.

That being said, I thought WTF interview with you was great, and I totally understood where you were coming from. I do not consider myself a comedy nerd at all. Anything I've learned about modern comedy is merely through osmosis from the magical (and coincidental, in my case) trifecta of WTF, TBSWMU and TSOYA...

Keep up the good (no, great) work -- all of you -- and stop worrying.

If you all stopped podcasting, I wouldn't know what to do with my own thoughts!
"Is this me?"

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2010, 09:08:16 AM »

Friends?

Your a class act Jesse Thorn. A class act. I believe my Alden Indys are a testament to the trust that I put in your discerning tastes. I am going to go out on a limb and say that by statistical majority FOTs are hip to The Sound and WTF'ers. I think a fractional minority of fans live in Newbridge 24/7 rather than 3 hours on Tuesday night.

Your sweet to have set the record straight, but it didn't behoove you, which for me is a reflection of your authenticity. As this is a future guests thread, has a Jesse Thorn ever considered an in studio guest appearance of The Best Show?

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
Dear Jesse-

I really want someone in LA to have a sit-down with David Yow from the Jesus Lizard/Qui/Scratch Acid/small bit parts in movies.  I bet he has awesome stories.  As long as you're here I thought I'd bother you in a nice way.

Keep up the good work!

-Mike

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »

Friends?

Just so we're clear on this, Jesse, there is no "e" in your last name?

YoungAmerican

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
Your sweet to have set the record straight, but it didn't behoove you, which for me is a reflection of your authenticity. As this is a future guests thread, has a Jesse Thorn ever considered an in studio guest appearance of The Best Show?

That's Tom's call, not mine.  I'm not often in New York for more than a couple days for financial reasons, and when I am it's unusual for it to be on a Tuesday, since it's usually to do a show or something and that's often on a Thursday or Friday.  It would be an honor, of course.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
You don't get vacation time?

Priorities.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »
You could always do a phoner.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2010, 06:53:52 AM »