Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703649 times)

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
If you are at all on the fence about this podcast, listen to the Jonathan Ames episode.  I won't spoil it for you.  I couldn't even if I tried.  Just do it.  Oh my god.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
If you are at all on the fence about this podcast, listen to the Jonathan Ames episode.  I won't spoil it for you.  I couldn't even if I tried.  Just do it.  Oh my god.

Maybe it's because I was (and am) completely unfamiliar with Mr. Ames and his work, but this was probably my least favorite episode. I really struggled to make it through the entire thing, and that never happens. Maybe I'm just projecting, but I didn't even think Marc sounded that engaged.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #257 on: October 15, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
I haven't heard it yet. Ames' HBO show Bored to Death is ok. I have a hard time keeping up with all my podcasts. Right now I'm listening to the 10 Anniversary Show w/ AP Mike and Terese.

Then I choose between the new Bugle, Comedy Death Ray, and the new Pod F Thomcast. So many laughs, so little time.

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #258 on: October 15, 2010, 11:19:37 PM »

Was not expecting this type of reaction. Excited to listen to this episode now!

I think my only complaint about this show lately is that 2 episodes a week is eating up A TON of podcast listening time!
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

ErnieWV

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »
I blow hot and cold on Marc Maron which makes his podcast always interesting to me. Every episode he apologizes to his guest for some slight in the past. I thought this was mostly schtick until I listened to the Louis CK episodes. There was genuine remorse and sadness when they spoke about the strain their relationship had gone through. I think he would be a good guest for Tom. Nothing but good can come from an encounter between two very honest and funny people.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
My OCD tendencies have gotten away from me (probably stress related) to this extent.

I am about 127 podcast episodes behind; many of those are 2 hours or more.

Outside of a couple of dozen special cases, I have not listened to a CD that I have purchased since 2004. There's about 550 of them. I keep telling myself I will get around to it.

I am reading about 4 - 6 books per year; I am buying about 5 a month.

Somebody call Hoarders for me; my little dog Pippin is in danger.

The last episode of Maron I have heard was number 99. It's on the bottom of the list of 24-27 I am trying to keep up with.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
I unsubscribed from a bunch of podcasts that I quite like just so things would stay manageable. The idea of feeling like I'm "behind" on something that's supposed to be fun is not at all alien to me, so out came the axe.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:24 AM »
Yeah, me too. I recently unsubscribed to a bunch of podcasts, cleared out some stuff from my RSS reader, etc. Also slashing the number of TV shows I watch. It shouldn't feel like a chore.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2010, 07:18:49 AM »
Yeah, me too. I recently unsubscribed to a bunch of podcasts, cleared out some stuff from my RSS reader, etc. Also slashing the number of TV shows I watch. It shouldn't feel like a chore.

I should follow your leads, but it's hard for me to give up. There's some kernel stuck in there that says "you might miss something."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:35 AM »

I should (will) follow your leads, but it's hard for me to give up. There's some kernel stuck in there that says "you might miss something."

Know what you're talking about!   An important reason why I quit twitter was to overcome my absurd desire for information.

Chances are you will "miss" something.  But, I've found the important stuff comes back around.

Frequently, at a time when you're better prepared to incorporate/utilize it.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

ErnieWV

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
What a great problem for us to have! I remember a time when the only comedy I got to see was either on Ed Sullivan or Steve Allen and if Jackie Vernon had a bad set, better luck next week. And yes I did have to get up the next morning and walk two miles to school(uphill both ways). I too am way behind on podcasts but we get to choose from the best. I never have to settle for listening to someone who I dislike but may have a clever turn of phrase or is occasionally funny. To Fredericks' point about what's important- I came to the Best Show late but not only do I laugh every week, I learn something and am able to appreciate music and comedy that I never would have heard about anywhere else, too many examples to list here.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »
I just listened to the Jonathan Ames episode and thought it very fine. Ames is chatty and debonair, and if Maron is a little more restrained than usual I didn't take it to be non-engagement so much as a kind of meeting Ames on his own ground of urbane cool.  It's just great conversation.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »

I should follow your leads, but it's hard for me to give up. There's some kernel stuck in there that says "you might miss something."

Yeah, I have an even worse backlog than you, Dave. I have the shows I have to listen to every single episode and then a bunch that I subscribe to but usually delete without listening unless its a guest I'm really interested in. I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to a couple hours at work every day but the backlog just keeps growing. At least I'm not quite at the point where it all feels like a chore. Then I'd probably just hope for a harddrive crash.

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »
Even though I'm not terribly familiar with Ames, I really enjoyed that interview.  I loved his description of Spaulding Gray--"My left eye began to twitch, and I thought of my mother swimming." 
Who I don't have chocolate?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2010, 12:26:19 AM »
My own experience with Ames is limited.  I've read the short story on which "Bored to Death" is based, a couple of his nonfiction pieces, and the novel WAKE UP, SIR, which I found, if not life-changing, a real stitch.  I also saw him host a Moth evening, where he was quite the howl. I like him quite a bit, but does anyone know of a real knockout punch by him that I've missed?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau