Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 705232 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #330 on: January 28, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »
Don't forget Bizarro Gallagher, who is the funniest comedian in the universe.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »
I'm wondering if he'll even be able to use the Gallagher interview. He tweeted that he only got about 30 minutes before Gallagher threw a hissy fit and stormed out. That doesn't seem like enough for an entire show unless he extends the intro to 30 minutes or so. I like the intros, but I don't know if I'd be able to last through that much.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
I'm wondering if he'll even be able to use the Gallagher interview. He tweeted that he only got about 30 minutes before Gallagher threw a hissy fit and stormed out. That doesn't seem like enough for an entire show unless he extends the intro to 30 minutes or so. I like the intros, but I don't know if I'd be able to last through that much.

He could take the Mencia approach, interviewing other people who've known him forever for further "illumination".

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
I wonder how difficult it was for Maron to talk to someone so infinitely more talented, charming, and interesting (Oswalt) YET CONTINUE to remain so woefully self-absorbed.....

I wonder how tough that is to pull off? 

"So, the mouse movie...."

"Yeah, so, then you got a book or something....."

What the fuck indeed!

It seemed pretty obvious to me that Maron was joking around with Oswalt when he said those things. And if it didn't bother Patton, why let it bother you?

Could not disagree more.  I've listened to every episode of WTF (my war, not yours...) and he's got a condescension in his voice when he talks to 'old friends' who are infinitely more talented/successful.  It didn't bother Patton b/c they have history and I'm sure he knows exactly whom he's dealing with--a petulant man-child. 
It only bothers me when I forget for an episode or two that he's such a shitcake; when he's actually a tremendous interviewer.  The 'big ones' (Mencia, Dane Cook, Robin Williams, even Louis CK to a degree) were wonderful.  That other fella, the one with the INSANE life (his wife passed away--the interview with the motorcycle ride story) was an incredible, empathetic interview.  Then he just nosedives with his jealously. 

So, yeah, I can actually be critical of him. He's a turd.  I can be critical of turds. 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
Yeah, Mike DiStefano. That was a pretty great episode.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
I wonder how difficult it was for Maron to talk to someone so infinitely more talented, charming, and interesting (Oswalt) YET CONTINUE to remain so woefully self-absorbed.....

What the fuck indeed!

It seemed pretty obvious to me that Maron was joking around with Oswalt when he said those things. And if it didn't bother Patton, why let it bother you?

Could not disagree more.  I've listened to every episode of WTF (my war, not yours...) and he's got a condescension in his voice when he talks to 'old friends' who are infinitely more talented/successful.  It didn't bother Patton b/c they have history and I'm sure he knows exactly whom he's dealing with--a petulant man-child. 
It only bothers me when I forget for an episode or two that he's such a shitcake; when he's actually a tremendous interviewer.  The 'big ones' (Mencia, Dane Cook, Robin Williams, even Louis CK to a degree) were wonderful.  That other fella, the one with the INSANE life (his wife passed away--the interview with the motorcycle ride story) was an incredible, empathetic interview.  Then he just nosedives with his jealously. 

So, yeah, I can actually be critical of him. He's a turd.  I can be critical of turds.

yeah i agree. i think it's the interview with Zach Galifianakis where Zach actual calls him out on making all these back handed complements and pretty much being a total asshole. it was great
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »

What the fuck indeed!

I'm not trying to argue whether or not Maron is a "turd." I'm saying that, whatever tensions you (or any other listener) might perceive between the two, Patton clearly has a great deal of affection for Marc. I wouldn't think he would agree to appear 3 times on the show of someone he only grudingly tolerates, especially one hosted by someone whose popularity he has cleared dwarved (meaning he's not doing it for the career boost). Then again, you've listened to every episode of a show hosted by a guy who clearly bugs the shit out of you, so what do I know?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:43 AM »
Oh MOS, you're a wonderful addition to my life. Sincerely.

I think that while Maron is neurotic and self-centered, I also think he exaggerates that for effect on the show, and I feel like the people who know him and go way back buy into that for comedic effect.

Tom once said during one of the external radio and/or podcast interviews that people have pointed to that he finds it odd how people think they know him because they hear him three hours a week on the best show, and I think the same idea applies. There are certainly aspects of Tom that come through on the show, but mostly, as he has pointed out in these external interviews, we don't know him, at all. My sense is that he's playing a sort of super-exaggerated version of a very limited number of aspects of his personality, but I am even guessing at that.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
Oh MOS, you're a wonderful addition to my life. Sincerely.

I think that while Maron is neurotic and self-centered, I also think he exaggerates that for effect on the show, and I feel like the people who know him and go way back buy into that for comedic effect.

Tom once said during one of the external radio and/or podcast interviews that people have pointed to that he finds it odd how people think they know him because they hear him three hours a week on the best show, and I think the same idea applies. There are certainly aspects of Tom that come through on the show, but mostly, as he has pointed out in these external interviews, we don't know him, at all. My sense is that he's playing a sort of super-exaggerated version of a very limited number of aspects of his personality, but I am even guessing at that.

I really wonder how much of this is true with Maron, as he appears (or acts, in this case) like an open wound.  He all but states that the show is therapy for him--that he needs a reaction to the his 'bleeding' (or other ridiculous metaphors he employs) to feel something. 

That said, I wouldn't begin to 'know' the guy, not even in the slightest, and I wouldn't want to, not even in the slightest.  Obviously he and Oswalt have a relationship, and I would say that relationship is Oswalt throwing him some sort of a bone, which coincidentally happens right around the time his book is coming out. 

Wow.  I've spent a lot of time writing about Marc Maron this week!

Maron 1, Ike 0.

Ike

Pidgeon

« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
The only time I've ever heard "turd" as an insult is that episode of Freaks and Geeks where Bill prank calls Biff from Back to the Future.

Rhymes with Don Draper

• Policemans heel
« Reply #340 on: January 30, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »
I listened to the latest Patton Oswalt WTF episode and, while I enjoyed it, I thought "wow, these guys bring out the bad in each other."  It really seems like their relationship is (somewhat) fixed in this acrimonious point in time and whenever they're around each other they regress (somewhat) to their frenemy status.  Granted, this aspect of their relationship seems well-managed, but it doesn't seem like they have a developing relationship either.

I'm analyzing this too much, but that's the vibe I got from the interview.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
So far almost all of the WTFs have been Wins (uncomfortable moments, the Oswalt episodes and others included), but the Henry Rollins one was definitely not one of them.

Although, given Rollins' style and manner, it would have been quite a coup if we did actually get to hear something come out of his mouth that we didn't expect. You have to wonder why - given that everyone knows what they're getting into when they agree to a WTF interview - he even agreed to do it in the first place.
"Is this me?"

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »
Gallagher. 

Holy shit, Gallagher. 

!!!

Maron had a little speech before the actual interview, and he basically apologizes for his actions--he has nothing to apologize for.  This Gallagher character is off the rails.  Or on them, as it sounds.

GREAT WTF episode. 

GREAT!

Ike

J W Buchanan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
HAY YOU GUYS!

I heard Mort Maron did cocainez with Stan Kennison one time.

OK BYE!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #344 on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
I believe I may have posted before on this forum that somewhere on the web there is a cartoon of a Human Centipede composed of five Gallaghers.  The execution isn't as good as the idea, so I'm not going to try to find the link.  Just imagine, and enjoy!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau