Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 705254 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #555 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
I heard Marc mention his trouble with an FOT during Tom's WTF appearance and again this Tuesday, but until Dorvid's meltdown, I didn't know who it was. Marc never got more specific than "one of your fans" as far as I know.

And I'm with ChipSuey on the "I come here to escape serious stuff" point. I've spent time on a few internet message boards, and inevitably the internet tough guy/trolling and/or "I'm quitting the internet!" meltdowns drive me away. This board largely seems to avoid these pitfalls. People are polite, as nice in person as in their posts (in my limited experience, anyway), and the drama factor is low. I really hope this incident is an outlier.

However, this is not the first time Dorvid has deleted his account and sworn off the board in a fit of rage or whatever. One of his former board names (there are several at this point) was "Barry Egan," which seems remarkably prescient in light of the most recent incident.

I should say that my interactions with Dorvid through personal message and chat have been very pleasant. I hope this was just some sort of drunken post made in the heat of passion.

OK, enough about this. Let's get back to the reason I like coming here.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #556 on: June 03, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
Who is Marc Maron?  I'm new to this board.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #557 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »
I don't know that I've ever termed myself "David from DC"... but to be on the safe side, if I ever should... I think I'll be "David from Silver Spring."

AFI/Discovery Communications reprezent.

pscan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #558 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
I think that the point Dorvid is missing here is that the story that Marc Maron has told in these various venues has been about Marc's (self-described) over-the-top reaction to the anonymous criticism, not the actual criticism. Why this has to turn into a condemnation of Tom and this community is beyond me, but everyone has their reasons I suppose. 

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #559 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »

Welcome to the FOT board, buffcoat! Hope this clears things up for you.

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #560 on: June 03, 2011, 11:54:08 PM »

Welcome to the FOT board, buffcoat! Hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks so much DaveB!  I am so excited to be part of a new community where everyone is friendly and loves pets and the children of famous Italian movie scorers.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sarah

« Reply #561 on: June 04, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
I really hope this incident is an outlier.

Oh, you know it is.

Sincerely,

A Misanthrope

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #562 on: June 04, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
What the forum needs now is:

"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Sarah

« Reply #563 on: June 04, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
You do realize that cat is just saying, in effect, "Calm the fuck down; I'm trying to sleep"?

Come to think of it, that may indeed be the message this board needs to hear.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »
Was anyone else screaming at whatever device they were listening to the Dan Harmon episode about how Nothing's Shocking was Jane's Addiction's second album? 
If that isn't bad enough, I also had to do the math to deduce that Harmon would have been 17 at the youngest when he heard Ritual De Lo Habitual not 14 as he claimed. 

I've also been wary of Jen Kirkman's punk cred until I heard her story of choosing a Ramones show over her boyfriend on the Pod F. Tompkast. 

To quote WTF, "What's wrong with me?"

One of the Few

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #565 on: June 06, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »
Whether this board has gone downhill or not is a matter of opinion, but it can be argued that we do have one area of absolute consistency in Dorvid's cyclical meltdowns.
I have a particularly fond recollection of his 6th or 7th meltdown back in the Decemberer of 06, the world was in the grip of economic recession and for some of us Dorvid's meltdown was our only source of heat during a particularly harsh winter.
If memory serves, I believe Dorvid had taken issue with a 3 star review of the movie Anchorman in the Christian Science Monitor, he scribbled these thoughts on an old envelope and tucked it down the back of the sofa. That tuesday, when Tom failed to even mention Anchorman on the Best Show, Dorvid was rightly disturbed; a feeling compounded when, while watching the Office, Steve Carell began to give him knowing looks. Like any sane man would, he ripped the tin foil from his keyboard and deleted his account in disgust after penning an incisive and invective laden farewell, peppered with his trademark ill-placed expletives.
Ah, I have rambled on too long.
Forgive an old man and his memories.
Please accept my apologies if I have bored you in anyway.
What's that you say?
No I couldn't possibly.
No, I will not hear of such a thing, but if you insist I shall have a Yuengling.
You are very kind.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #566 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
I'd like to go on record stating that I'm not down with, nor do I find the piling on funny.

gravy boat

« Reply #567 on: June 07, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
Piling on?

Steeley Chris

« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2011, 08:39:53 AM »
I've also been wary of Jen Kirkman's punk cred until I heard her story of choosing a Ramones show over her boyfriend on the Pod F. Tompkast.
On Valentine's Day, no less. That was story was endearing.
"Dad gets mad."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #569 on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
I'd always thought Larry Miller was funny, but hadn't really heard him interviewed before this week's WTF. Although personality-wise they are diametrically opposed, he is Slaytonian in his ability to monopolize a conversation, which is no mean feat when talking to Maron. I really enjoyed the episode.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.