Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 705385 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #615 on: August 04, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Know what? I shouldn't have commented before I listened because it was clearly your idea. I admit that part of it was based on me thinking Dice seemed like a guy who would refuse to do an interview unless you taled to his son as well, but that was just me thinking he was a lot more like his stage persona than he actually is. I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice guy he actually appeared to be.

And I came here to fess up to my mistaken perception before I knew that you had called me on it. He was a good enough guy and a good enough interview that I felt a little bad for accusing him of any shady behavior.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #616 on: August 04, 2011, 11:20:02 PM »
^^
Tail between your Fishlegs.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #617 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
Maron walks among us? He's one of the 4 greatest interviewers!

KickTheBobo

« Reply #618 on: August 05, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
"I'm gonna make it a very special show. I mean, I FROM Brooklyn, y'know what I mean?"

yeah, I failed to understand that despite the dozens of times of times you already stated it.

Dice is the perfect example of an artist that refuses to evolve, whether it be due to hubris, fear or being just plain stubborn. Listening to The Day the Laughter died, it's evident that his entire schtick could be made into a computer algorithm that just randomly plugs in variables like Blow_Me and Hoow-Wah.

His kid was a major snooze too.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »
I had totally forgotten about The Diceman and had no idea he was so popular as to sell out the Garden two nights in a row. I wonder if that was just because he was a New York guy doing a New York shtick or if he was that big everywhere? I remember liking the Ford Fairlane movie though.

And yeah like all WTF's it always inspires me to check out some youtubes of the guest. I couldn't believe how awful that Dice character was! Great timing though.

I think Steve Martin is the only other guy who did arenas, right? When is he going to be on WTF?

-Ajax

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
Dream Guest: Andy Breckman.

Dice Clay certainly came off as more likeable than in his stage act, but...uh...(1) low bar; (2) I don't really love letting people off the hook for being "nice guys" in private when they've made their public bones yelling things like "If you don't know the language, go the fuck home!"
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #621 on: August 05, 2011, 04:11:03 PM »

Dice Clay certainly came off as more likeable than in his stage act, but...uh...(1) low bar; (2) I don't really love letting people off the hook for being "nice guys" in private when they've made their public bones yelling things like "If you don't know the language, go the fuck home!"

Yeah. On the one hand, kudos to him for raising kids who seem to be well-adjusted. On the other hand, he seems like one of those guys who just can't recognize when he's stepping over the line with hurtful material. Or worse yet, willfully blinds himself to the hurtfulness of it.  "These are just jokes" ... "I'm playing a character" ... okay sure but ... I listened to some of the "crowd work" on The Day the Laughter Died where he picked on awkward couples on dates, and some of that shit was just so mean and misogynistic. I dunno. It's all subjective I guess, but there's a certain level of denial on Dice's part that kinda blows my mind.

Tom and PFT had an interesting take on this stuff when they were discussing Kinnison ... they talked about how Kinnison maybe knew that he was joking or exaggerating, but there were a lot of mutants in his audience who didn't necessarily pick up on that.

Anyhow, no diss on Maron for doing the show, it was interesting and compelling listening. It seems like one of the central running themes of the show is "What the fuck is 'comedy', anyway?". Which is a very interesting and/or very boring question, depending on one's mood.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #622 on: August 05, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
I'm not sure for me the issue is even hurtfulness--it's stupidity and playing to the absolute lowest common denominator.

"So I tell this joke--I say, 'Last night I was with this Puerto Rican chick and I fucked her so hard her asshole popped out.' People are going to be upset by that?  Listen, it's a joke."

Yeah, killer joke, Dude.  I can see why you wanted to pull that coup out in your defense.

Maron clearly likes this guy but at points I don't see him showing a whole lot more self-awareness than Gallagher. "Gays loved us." Uh, suuuure they did, Chief.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #623 on: August 05, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
^^
Tail between your Fishlegs.

Next thing you know I'll find out "Big Hoss" is reading the "Chumlee" thread.

iforgotmymantra

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #624 on: August 14, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #625 on: August 14, 2011, 01:11:44 PM »

Oh hell yes.

It would be great.  20 minutes in, Andy would be muttering "Oh God, this is a disaster" and "Can I go home now?"

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #626 on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
Recently listened to the Andrew Dice Clay one. Man, I hated that guy by the end of that thing whereas in the 80s I just found him unfunny and tedious. 'I'm a real family guy, I just got married for the 3rd time' reminds me of Bob Ducca's father who 'took a job starting a family in another town'. Sounds like he didn't really learn much of anything or adapt in any way, but he lacks self-awareness to the point where it would never occur to him that he'd ever need to. The story of going to Vegas and being a high roller pushed me past some breaking point where I decided 'to hell with this, everything this guy says is bullsh**'. Maybe he does actually make a crudload of money gambling, but so do those guys in those snoozefest poker tournaments, and you don't have to listen to them drone on about I'm from Brooklyn and I sold more tickets than the Beatles, Sinatra, and Elvis combined.

Didn't really have anything against his kid, though.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »

Oh hell yes.

It would be great.  20 minutes in, Andy would be muttering "Oh God, this is a disaster" and "Can I go home now?"

And it would really add to the fun if Andy showed up with his guitar.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #628 on: August 16, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
Did Maron light a cigarette during his interview with Birbiglia? 

Did I hear that right? 

I liked this one! 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

KickTheBobo

« Reply #629 on: August 16, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
I'm digging the Mike Birbiglia v. Maron switcheroo.

Had to look up what a "Street Joke" is, though:

http://www.examiner.com/comedy-in-spokane/father-of-the-street-joke-a-brief-look-at-bert-henry