Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703662 times)

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #630 on: August 17, 2011, 01:49:50 AM »
I'd like to see a Night After Night reunion with Allan Havey and Nick Bakay.   
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #631 on: August 17, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »
It was a great change up to have MM in the hotseat, Birbigs was a little tougher than I expected.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #632 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
Going back in this thread a couple of weeks, and a little off topic, but there are some great Andrew Dice Clay anecdotes in the latest Never Not Funny ep, with Tom Wilson, his former roommate. Well worth checking out if you can.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #633 on: October 04, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
I have to say as an avid WTF listener - heard just about all of them in their entirety - that last week's interview with Will Franken made me sad.

Was it just me, or was it super depressing and seeped in unspoken denial and weirdness?
"Is this me?"

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #634 on: October 04, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »
I have to say as an avid WTF listener - heard just about all of them in their entirety - that last week's interview with Will Franken made me sad.

Was it just me, or was it super depressing and seeped in unspoken denial and weirdness?

How so? I thought it was a little dull, and when Franken did voice bits it made me wonder if he was delusional in his egotism (i.e., the voice bits weren't all that funny, which made me think he was either overstating his arrogance, or his arrogance was real but unjustified). But then again he didn't strike me as all that arrogant in the interview, and his routines might be much better than the few minutes I heard on WTF.

Anyway, I'm curious what led you to this if you feel like explaining further...
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #635 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
I'm a Mork fan. I was concerned for Franken, but he sounded like he was on the way back up emotionally after his relationship and other problems, I though MM handled him well instead of going for the jugular like a douchebag reporter might have.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #636 on: October 05, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »
Just got done listening to the Wally Wackiman episode. Wow. That was gut-wrenching.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
Just got done listening to the Wally Wackiman episode. Wow. That was gut-wrenching.
Finally. Someone has won this thread.

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2011, 05:58:42 PM »

I agree. That was very depressing. I had to turn it off and come back to it because Franken just wasn't listening to Maron, seemed to be in a different conversation away from the one Maron was having, and appeared to be completely unaware of how deeply he was in denial about his emotional problems. And his whole "Some of my best friends are Jews!" act made me cringe - but not in the good, cleansing, oops-I-hit-a-nerve kind of way WTF usually makes me cringe.

I often re-listen to WTF episodes - I doubt I'll ever come back to this one.
LN5OG

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #639 on: October 07, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »

How so? I thought it was a little dull, and when Franken did voice bits it made me wonder if he was delusional in his egotism (i.e., the voice bits weren't all that funny, which made me think he was either overstating his arrogance, or his arrogance was real but unjustified). But then again he didn't strike me as all that arrogant in the interview, and his routines might be much better than the few minutes I heard on WTF.

Anyway, I'm curious what led you to this if you feel like explaining further...

I dunno... Maybe it was the way Maron somehow seemed less than thrilled to talk to him, more tolerating the hour long talk rather than being truly interested.

Perhaps it was Franken was all "you're better than a shrink, this is the biggest breakthrough of my life!" and all that. On the surface, his experiences didn't seem terribly different from the range of hardships that most WTF guests reveal, but I just got the feeling that despite acknowledging them he hasn't learned a whole lot from them.

Maybe, on the other hand, it was just the rainy weather that day and I felt sort of crummy?
"Is this me?"

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #640 on: October 07, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »
Blame it on Helsinki, Mark.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #641 on: October 08, 2011, 04:22:53 AM »

I've run out of room on the list, Hugman.
"Is this me?"

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #642 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »

I just re-watched the Helsinki portion of Night On Earth two days ago.  It's a long-embedded, tangental influence on a short I'm writing.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #643 on: October 09, 2011, 03:42:48 AM »

I just re-watched the Helsinki portion of Night On Earth two days ago.  It's a long-embedded, tangental influence on a short I'm writing.

Ecch. Saw that again not too long ago, and while it is definitely a caricature, it somehow rings true at its core.
"Is this me?"

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #644 on: October 23, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Carrot Top on tomorrow's episode! That'll be...something.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.