Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703626 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #660 on: October 26, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
Random WTF? thought- One of my dream guests would be Yakov Smirnoff. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I'd love to hear his story.
Agreed.  He is so separate from the community of comics though I don't know if he'd be interested or if he and Marc would have any common ground.

This episode made me feel sad for Carrot Top and his sycophant.

Yeah, I suspect an interview w/ Smirnoff would go better than the Gallagher one, although maybe he will lecture Maron on why he'll never be able play Branson, who knows. It would be curious to see if he gets defensive about the 'IN SOVIET RUSSIA noun verbs YOU' jokes or has a good sense of humor about it. The story of how he navigated the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union would also be interesting to hear. Did he spend years in a drug fueled haze? Did he work a regular person job? I guess I could wiki this, but WTF is more entertaining.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #661 on: October 26, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
Random WTF? thought- One of my dream guests would be Yakov Smirnoff. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I'd love to hear his story.
Agreed.  He is so separate from the community of comics though I don't know if he'd be interested or if he and Marc would have any common ground.

This episode made me feel sad for Carrot Top and his sycophant.

Yeah, I suspect an interview w/ Smirnoff would go better than the Gallagher one, although maybe he will lecture Maron on why he'll never be able play Branson, who knows. It would be curious to see if he gets defensive about the 'IN SOVIET RUSSIA noun verbs YOU' jokes or has a good sense of humor about it. The story of how he navigated the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union would also be interesting to hear. Did he spend years in a drug fueled haze? Did he work a regular person job? I guess I could wiki this, but WTF is more entertaining.

That's actually a good call on Yakov Smirnoff: a behind-the-scenes look at the (for some) the entertainment Mecca of Branson, MO through the Maron/WTF filter. 

I tried to give that whole Carrot Top episode a listen but his opener/"publicist"/safety blanket torpedoed anything that was breaking toward interesting.  If Maron were a journalist he'd have to pull the plug on the interview but since he's not, I appreciate him going forward, seeing if something would shake out.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #662 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
A friend of mine is going to meet with Yakov Smirnoff next week.  I will eventually get a report and see how the man is doing these days.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #663 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Ask him if he drops the Russian accent while they're talking.

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #664 on: October 30, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
It'd be cool if Marc interviewed the other (KITH) Scott Thompson.  He was great on Pardo. 

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #665 on: October 31, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
Chris Rock on Thursday!  One baby step closer to my dream guest Katt Wiliams.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #666 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »
my favorite moment of today's episode was Chris Rock asking for "A regular iced tea, not diet"
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #667 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

This is actually addressed during the show. Rock says that Williams "will be tough to get."
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #668 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
Yeah, I suspect an interview w/ Smirnoff would go better than the Gallagher one...

Has anyone posted the "in Russia podcast record YOU" joke yet?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #669 on: November 05, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »

I'd interview him and just ask him questions about THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO. I actually wouldn't mind hearing an interview with Katt Williams. I'd also like to hear from Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy. Not a fan, but you can't get that far in comedy without having some interesting insights.

Rock was good, but the audio quality was spotty. I tho0ught maybe it was my Dollar Tree earbuds, but I heard others complaining as well.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #670 on: November 05, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
I'd like to hear Ron White also. I am actually a fan of his, and I'd be interested to hear him talk about his relationship with the Blue Collar guys. I think he's too canny to outright shit on those other guys, but from his appearance on Green Room, I got the feeling he was never really that interested in being a part of that group.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #671 on: November 18, 2011, 12:58:16 AM »
Merrill effin' Markoe! What an amazing lady. Lots of comedy-nerd history covered on this episode (Andy Breckman gets a shout-out). Fascinating on a pop-historical & psychological & personal/confessional level. Good stuff.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #672 on: November 19, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
Merrill effin' Markoe! What an amazing lady. Lots of comedy-nerd history covered on this episode (Andy Breckman gets a shout-out). Fascinating on a pop-historical & psychological & personal/confessional level. Good stuff.

I've got to listen to that one. Markoe is responsible for the great early stuff on "Late Night with David Letterman"... A very funny woman...

IS the Rainn Wilson interview any good?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #673 on: November 19, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »
Maron was on "Wait, Wait, Just Kill Me" this week.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #674 on: November 19, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
I really liked the Rainn Wilson interview. He wasn't trying to be funny, but he's a truly fascinating guy, especially when he talks about being raised Baha'i. I'm a sucker for a WTF interview with someone who struggled with the American theater and then became a star, though.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.