Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703625 times)

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #765 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
"You ever met a hobo who wanted to stay a hobo?" - Best quote regarding Tom Waits ever

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #766 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
"You want me to ruin Moby Dick for you?"

I snarfed when I heard that.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #767 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
Also, dammit I love Tom Waits.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #768 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »
"You ever met a hobo who wanted to stay a hobo?" - Best quote regarding Tom Waits ever

I haven't, but I've seen a few musicians who've found such a rich vein of expression in the history of American downbeat vernacular music that they voluntarily mine it for an entire career of prolific creativity.

But then, Tom doesn't like Tom Waits because he thinks he's a phoney.  He prefers people who keep it real, like this guy:

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #769 on: February 24, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »
I don't want to argue about Tom Waits, because honestly who cares? However, I will say that the line between "being a phoney" and "having a persona" is one that I guess I am unable to detect.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Barry in Ireland

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #770 on: February 24, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
I don't want to argue about Tom Waits, because honestly who cares? However, I will say that the line between "being a phoney" and "having a persona" is one that I guess I am unable to detect.

I guess when that persona is based on the representation of some sort of "authentic" experience that is completely divorced from your actual situation, it starts to become a problem.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #771 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »
Tom Waits doesn't pretend to be an "authentic" hobo.  His music is arty as all hell.  Captain Beefheart spent his first 13 years in Glendale and was a child art prodigy; did the persona/phoney issue become a problem for him when he started drawing inspiration from Delta bluesmen and urban free-jazz skronkers?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #772 on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
It's not like Waits dumpster dives. He just lives a modest lifestyle and subscribes to nothing fancy. I think he has his own voice and it is what it is. Oh and I love it, but of course I don't find Albert Brooks funny, remember? So what do I know?

If we want to talk about dumb celebrities with phoney appearances let's talk Johnny Depp. That guy actually has holes in his clothes.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #773 on: February 24, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »

Dislikes: Bob Seger, Tim and Eric

Like what you like, just don't be a pretentious asshole about it. And no, that's not directed at any specific person.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #774 on: February 24, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
Tom Waits is awful -- if he's not doing cheesy piano ballads, it's dorky, dark clown music. Bad bad bad. Deal with it.

How about we go back to what I was originally commenting on -- that genius show Tom and Marc did together?

The reaction to that joke reminds me of the over-the-too backlash to the guy who posted the video of Paul McCartney farting during the Grammys -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIzkXSwFb0

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #775 on: February 24, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
The reaction to that joke reminds me of the over-the-too backlash to the guy who posted the video of Paul McCartney farting during the Grammys -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIzkXSwFb0

Not really all that similar.  Those are people taking to their fainting couch that anyone would show disrespect to an icon.  Here, it's more like if you're going to criticize a widely respected artist, at least make solid points rather than flimsy ones.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #776 on: February 24, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »

Not really all that similar.  Those are people taking to their fainting couch that anyone would show disrespect to an icon.  Here, it's more like if you're going to criticize a widely respected artist, at least make solid points rather than flimsy ones.

Saying Tom Waits is a wannabe hobo crooner is both solid and hilarious. Not everybody likes him and there are plenty of good reasons why that is, the main one being that his songs are pretty bad. It's a pretty easy concept to accept.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #777 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
There's a new troll in town (I don't wanna hear it)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #778 on: February 24, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
A)  It's not like Waits dumpster dives. He just lives a modest lifestyle and subscribes to nothing fancy.

B)  That guy actually has holes in his clothes.
A)  Great point.  And he let's his old lady have her privacy.

B)  If the clothes are comfortable, who cares?

Not me, Man.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #779 on: February 24, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
I did a search for Nothing Fancy magazine on Amazon and came up empty.  Can one of you help?

I found Puppet Fancy.  *Shudder*
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!