Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703655 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #930 on: December 30, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »

The Jay Mohr one was one of the great ones where Marc Maron obviously doesn't like the guy and lets him dig his own grave. Jay Mohr is such a tool on every single level. How that guy has made a huge living doing his version of "comedy" is rather awful.

I was about to post that I actually thought Jay Mohr came across as a decent enough guy who I have nothing in common with, but then I remembered his story about stealing the idea for an SNL sketch from his friend. And no matter what the circumstances that's pretty low.

Anyone listen to the Blues Traveler episode? While I don't mind B-level comedians being interviewed I really have no interest in hearing from the likes of John Popper. Nothing against the guy, really, he's just not my idea of what a WTF? guest should be. Of course this comes from someone who was thrilled to see pro wrestler Colt Cabana was a guest on the show so take that for what it's worth.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #931 on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

The one with Dylan Moran was terrific. I never heard of that guy before and desperately need to dig into his stuff.

Black Books is really enjoyable in that early 2000s BBC comedy sort of way.

Graham Linehan is a machine, man! (Which, when I've heard it from Irish individuals, is quite the complement).

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #932 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »

The Jay Mohr one was one of the great ones where Marc Maron obviously doesn't like the guy and lets him dig his own grave. Jay Mohr is such a tool on every single level. How that guy has made a huge living doing his version of "comedy" is rather awful.

I was about to post that I actually thought Jay Mohr came across as a decent enough guy who I have nothing in common with, but then I remembered his story about stealing the idea for an SNL sketch from his friend. And no matter what the circumstances that's pretty low.

Anyone listen to the Blues Traveler episode? While I don't mind B-level comedians being interviewed I really have no interest in hearing from the likes of John Popper. Nothing against the guy, really, he's just not my idea of what a WTF? guest should be. Of course this comes from someone who was thrilled to see pro wrestler Colt Cabana was a guest on the show so take that for what it's worth.

Over on Twitter I said that having Blues Traveler on was proof that WTF had jumped the harp.

I just pray he doesn't have that guy from Train on next.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #933 on: December 30, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
I just pray he doesn't have that guy from Train on next.

If Gene Simmons had been in Train, it would have been "Meat Virginia."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #934 on: December 31, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »
Jonathan Katz and his writing partner were wonderful! Dr. Katz was such an awesome show and one of my favorites when it was on. The thing I got the most out of the interview was the importance of developing a unique comedy voice and they didn't even directly talk about that.

I liked the Katz & Snyder interrview because Katz mentioned ImprovBoston which is where I'm taking improv classes. A minor thrill, but a thrill nonetheless.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #935 on: January 16, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »
Just listened to the Michael Keaton. Just as much fun as everyone said.

Except, one thing stuck with me about his interactions with Larry David and he spoke so highly of the way Larry would tell the audience they were stupid for not getting his jokes, saying that's how it made Larry different.

Was this actually ever charming or was it just that Larry was that good? I see this happen an awful lot, and it's THE WORST.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #936 on: February 04, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
The one with John Hodgeman was great, 3rd time to try to get his voice on WTF's the charm.  All that talk of my dear Somerville, MA and Davis Square filled me with joy.  Makes me wonder, since two previous appearances were lost and this one had so much in it...how deep is John Hodgeman's well? I miss pre-gentrification Boston.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Keith Whitener

« Reply #937 on: February 04, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »
Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner! I'm now waiting for Trent Reznor and Iggy Pop.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #938 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »
The Mel Brooks interview was perhaps my favorite podcast episode ever.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #939 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »

Not done yet, but I'd have to agree it's up there for me too.
"Is this me?"

Crusherkc

« Reply #940 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »

Loved the episode: Mel Brooks is such a down-to-earth titan it makes you wanna cry.  Mel wants to connect with people in a human way not just push his product or give a one-off interview and be done with it- I think Marc should have him on as a regular or start another side podcast ala the "Marc and Tom Show" when he and Mel just tell stories. 

Also check out "A Bit of a Chat with Ken Plume" episode with Mel.  Ken Plume is an FOT has has a pretty good conversation podcast himself.

Psyched about Carl Reiner.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #941 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:37 PM »

I wouldn't want to have to choose between the Mel Brooks and Michael Keaton WTFs.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

mostlymeat

« Reply #942 on: February 06, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »

Not done yet, but I'd have to agree it's up there for me too.

"Why do you do so many Hitler jokes?"

"Because every time I did Hitler, people laughed."

GREAT ANSWER!

I enjoyed this one a lot too, so crazy how much history he lived through (and created). And I didn't know he was married to Anne Bancroft!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #943 on: February 08, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »

Carl wasn't quite as good as Mel's, but still pretty great. And the story Marc was telling at the end of the Mel Brooks episode has a pretty good payoff. If I get to be that age and all I forget are some names and dates of things that happened 50 years ago I will be happy.

rattkane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #944 on: February 10, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
In the Mel Brooks episode I learned that Mel grew up on my old block. It was a brief moment of excitement until I remembered it doesn't mean I have a relationship with Mel Brooks.