Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703657 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #975 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »
Oh my God, the Ed Begley Jr episode had me in tears....so many great '70s hollywood stories! Warren Oates, Harry Nillson, and.... Charles Manson!

GO MARON, GO!
That episode was emblematic of Maron's worst guests: overly nostalgic, smarmy, and regret-free.

30 years from now, you will be exactly like that. Punk.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #976 on: January 29, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
Oh my God, the Ed Begley Jr episode had me in tears....so many great '70s hollywood stories! Warren Oates, Harry Nillson, and.... Charles Manson!

GO MARON, GO!
That episode was emblematic of Maron's worst guests: overly nostalgic, smarmy, and regret-free.

Yeah, I loved that episode.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #977 on: February 12, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

GO MARON, GO!

Yeah, I loved that episode.

If you're a regret-free celebrity, I don't wanna know ya! 
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #978 on: February 13, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »
Really happy about a tweet Tom just sent congratulating Marc Maron for not jumping off a cliff after the Father John Misty interview. Man oh man is Misty a pretentious windbag. 
Maron starts out the interview by trying to complement Misty on his album and names some influences from previous decades he hears in the music.  Misty scoffs and goes into a rant about "well if you take into account the entire history of time then it doesn't make sense to view music in terms of decades and influences". 
A convenient attitude for a man whose every single musical product is a BLATANT RIPOFF OF OLDER MUSIC STYLES. 

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #979 on: February 13, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »
Carver - this is one of the good things about the Internet. Namely, seeing white-hot rage directed at someone I've never heard of.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #980 on: February 13, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
Really happy about a tweet Tom just sent congratulating Marc Maron for not jumping off a cliff after the Father John Misty interview. Man oh man is Misty a pretentious windbag. 
Maron starts out the interview by trying to complement Misty on his album and names some influences from previous decades he hears in the music.  Misty scoffs and goes into a rant about "well if you take into account the entire history of time then it doesn't make sense to view music in terms of decades and influences". 
A convenient attitude for a man whose every single musical product is a BLATANT RIPOFF OF OLDER MUSIC STYLES.
The entire existence of his solo career seems predicated on him not having enough pants fun when he was a drummer.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #981 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
Misty scoffs and goes into a rant . .

Somehow I blew past that. I mainly recall him having a lot of (justifiable) anger about his strict religious upbringing, although he seemed unwilling to "get into it." For all the hub-bub about this guy, I was underwhelmed by the music. Solid but nothing out of the ordinary. Seems like his story is what's selling the music.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #982 on: February 17, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
I like his music, but found the interview pretty rough going. He is another data point supporting my theory that WTF guests who are younger than me are a snooze.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #983 on: February 17, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
I've listened to my share of Fleet Foxes and FJ Misty, and thought more positive than negative about it. But the first quality that always struck me was how strongly they were repurposing older styles of music.  And I mean, everything does that to a certain extent, but Misty's attitude was like if Joey Ramone would've claimed "Beach Boys? Doesn't ring a bell, and frankly I'm insulted at the implication!"

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #984 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
I thought the Ron White episode was great, but then again I'd imagine I'm a bigger fan than most folks who post here.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #985 on: February 21, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
I thought the Ron White episode was great, but then again I'd imagine I'm a bigger fan than most folks who post here.

I was super pumped that he is pals with Brian "For those about to Rock" Johnson. I don't know why, I just thought that was awesome that they are pals and eat food together and stuff.

WILD TIMES USA!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #986 on: February 21, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »

I was super pumped that he is pals with Brian "For those about to Rock" Johnson. I don't know why, I just thought that was awesome that they are pals and eat food together and stuff.

WILD TIMES USA!

Having been to Sarasota fairly recently, it makes total sense that those two hang out there.

Kal_El

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #987 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Was just listening to the Marc and Tom show earlier today. Absolutely great. I really wish these guys would work more in the future. I don't know about the logistics but I would love it if they hosted a weekly radio show like they joked about

casualobserver

• Policemans heel
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
I just caught a New Hope for the Ape-Eared cameo in the second episode of this season's Maron

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #989 on: May 25, 2014, 03:26:36 AM »
I just caught a New Hope for the Ape-Eared cameo in the second episode of this season's Maron

The Ray episode, yeah? I couldn't find it.