Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650523 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #855 on: September 05, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
Does anybody else think Melvyn Bragg is getting really loose? I like it.
Yes.

New In Our Time's starting Sept. 19th.  I do enjoy the shows on physics and mathematics when Melvyn's trying to wrap his brain around that shit.  And I make an exception about external noise bleeding into the mics- like the sound of tea cups and saucers. As long as no one is munching on cookies (UK: "biscuits").

The Todd Barry Show has found a spot in my regular rotation of podcasts on my shuffle.  It reminds me of the early days of WTF.  He makes great conversation with people I've never heard of before and with people I'd never thought I'd like, like Colin Quinn, although I haven't listened to the one with jabberjaw Judah Friedlander the Hat Comedian yet. 

I even like the street noise out the window and the hum of his A/C and fridge. It's NYC in the summer, man!

Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #856 on: September 05, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
Best Show ;D
Comedy Bang Bang
How Did This Get Made?
Improv4Humans
Doug Loves Movies
WTF with Marc Maron
Walking the Room

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #857 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »
Improv4Humans

Is it just me or has Improv4Humans taken a HUGE dip in quality in the last month? I'm sure it's probably because Matt Besser just had a baby and the man is tired, but I couldn't even make it all the way through the last three episodes.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #858 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
Improv4Humans

Is it just me or has Improv4Humans taken a HUGE dip in quality in the last month? I'm sure it's probably because Matt Besser just had a baby and the man is tired, but I couldn't even make it all the way through the last three episodes.

I loved the recent Horatio Sanz, etc., episode. I think part of the reason for a possible dip in the past month are the two live episodes from the Del Close Marathon. There were so many people involved and many unknowns. I still love the show though. The only part I don't like is when they have the 1 on 1 debates with a listener. I prefer the 4-5 person improvs.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #859 on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
I have been listening to Rafflecast since Jon Daly's appearance a while back. It's hysterical and I'm glad it belongs to America. I liked the 'Building the Track' episode where Brendan Small, Jon, and a couple other guys built a faux-Van Halen track and we got to hear a story about Eddie Van Halen being especially douchey to Brendan.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #860 on: September 06, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
people I'd never thought I'd like, like Colin Quinn

Colin Quinn has executed some pretty masterful Twitter trolling: http://favstar.fm/users/iamcolinquinn

DaveFoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #861 on: September 09, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
Colin Quinn has executed some pretty masterful Twitter trolling: http://favstar.fm/users/iamcolinquinn
Oh those were good.  Todd Barry's podcast may become your favorite if it hasn't already.  The Colin Quinn episode was enjoyable.  Colin seemed to question Todd even doing a podcast.  I could listen to Todd interview Colin once a week.

Judah Friedlander episode was good. A lousy businessman talking about the business of stand-up, with Todd doing the interview. Good stuff. His book signing story was pretty funny.

If you find Nerdist or Bang Bang enjoyable then this may not be the podcast for you.  Wait how would I know that?  I just wanted to slam those two podcasts.  I find them the opposite of entertaining.  A lot of people really enjoy them so what do I know.  I did like Chris Hardwick's book.  He taught me how to organize my email which was getting out of control

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #862 on: September 09, 2013, 12:58:23 AM »
Oh those were good.  Todd Barry's podcast may become your favorite if it hasn't already.  The Colin Quinn episode was enjoyable.  Colin seemed to question Todd even doing a podcast.  I could listen to Todd interview Colin once a week.

Judah Friedlander episode was good. A lousy businessman talking about the business of stand-up, with Todd doing the interview. Good stuff. His book signing story was pretty funny.

If you find Nerdist or Bang Bang enjoyable then this may not be the podcast for you.  Wait how would I know that?  I just wanted to slam those two podcasts.  I find them the opposite of entertaining.  A lot of people really enjoy them so what do I know.  I did like Chris Hardwick's book.  He taught me how to organize my email which was getting out of control

I just cringed a little bit when you lumped Comedy Bang Bang and Nerdist in with each other. I love the former, and the latter, meh. The two are so different from one another. Comedy Bang Bang has some of the best podcast comedy out there IMHO. The Nerdist has some good "gets" as far as interviews go, but it is difficult to listen to Chris Hardwick fawning over every guest that comes in.

I like the Todd Barry podcast, but you have to like his subdued approach, because he approaches his podcast as he does his standup, very laid back. But I like it, esp. how he gets into the minutiae of life on the road. "What hotel did you stay at?"

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #863 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
I had to check out of Comedy Bang Bang (right around when it started being called that).  There are some great moments, but for the most part I don't really enjoy podcasts that consist of a gang of pals riffing.  That said, the CBB TV show I enjoyed quite a lot.  I like the model of "improvise and goof around to create good bits and then polish them later."  I just don't need to watch the earlier, rough cuts.  It can be enjoyable but there are too many other things to listen to.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #864 on: September 09, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
I had to check out of Comedy Bang Bang (right around when it started being called that).  There are some great moments, but for the most part I don't really enjoy podcasts that consist of a gang of pals riffing.  That said, the CBB TV show I enjoyed quite a lot.  I like the model of "improvise and goof around to create good bits and then polish them later."  I just don't need to watch the earlier, rough cuts.  It can be enjoyable but there are too many other things to listen to.

To each his own, though I would argue that it's not just comedy pals riffing, but also some of the best improv & character work around, along with the occasional muscial guest. I like the spontaneous nature of it and I love it when comedians break when they are trying to do bits. Much like Best Show, I like that is not just a typicial interview show. I agree, the TV show is much different. The interview portion is improvised & they cut together the best parts, while the rest of the show is scripted.

DaveFoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #865 on: September 09, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
To each his own, though I would argue that it's not just comedy pals riffing, but also some of the best improv & character work around, along with the occasional muscial guest.
Ah ha maybe that's why I don't listen.  I'd much rather hear Tom Rhodes interview Arj Barker at Denny's in Florida.  It was nice hearing Arj talk about his career and their shared experiences.  People working hard to entertain me has the opposite effect.  Although I do like when Wurster calls Tom.

At some point I'm sure I'll grow tired of comedians talking about comedy but right now it's still the sweet spot.  I'd like to go back and listen to the first season or two of WTF. Marc's show is enjoyable although you do have to skip the first ten minutes or so.

Patton and Posehn as guests on "Walking The Room" is a right good listen. Speaking of "Room," hearing Dave Anthony explain the Greg why they had a falling out was cringe worthy entertainment.  I'd like to listen to that again but don't remember what episode it was

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #866 on: September 09, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
Ah ha maybe that's why I don't listen.  I'd much rather hear Tom Rhodes interview Arj Barker at Denny's in Florida.  It was nice hearing Arj talk about his career and their shared experiences.  People working hard to entertain me has the opposite effect.  Although I do like when Wurster calls Tom.

Comedy Bang Bang and Sharpling/Wurster don't have to work very hard to entertain me. They make it look easy!

I love Walking the Room. Talk about two naturally funny guys. Patton makes any podcast better.

When it comes to straight-up interview shows, I like WTF & Todd Barry. Marc Maron is a great interviewer, and I like how he has to fina commonality with the interviewee to really get in a groove; it makes it more personal.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #867 on: September 09, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »

Comedy Bang Bang and Sharpling/Wurster don't have to work very hard to entertain me. They make it look easy!

Agreed. To me, Comedy Bang Bang is the only comedy show period that brings the same enjoyment as The Best Show these days. At least for me, those two are in a league of their own.

There are a lot of podcasts that try to borrow from their formats in various way. For me, some are successful like Improv4Humans (most of the time) and others like Podftompkast... well, not so much.

DaveFoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #868 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
Agreed. To me, Comedy Bang Bang is the only comedy show period that brings the same enjoyment as The Best Show these days. At least for me, those two are in a league of their own.
Now you've gone and done it. You went too far. Bang Bang and Best Show in the same league?  Are you kidding me?   Boy oh boy.  I saw a "report to moderator" button don't make use it.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #869 on: September 09, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
One of the best things about an S&W call is that it's two guys trying to entertain themselves and putting it out there. There's no topping and no trying to crowd the other guys out with your best lines.

That and that it's actually written.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!