Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650473 times)

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
I used to love love love love NPR from like 2002-2005 when I was delivering pizzas (and before I knew about podcasts). But lately I turn it on and get immediately frustrated. Has the quality of shows gone down or am I just older and/or tired of it?

I still enjoy On The Media. Even though they're smarmy, I like that they take stands on issues instead of the dickless pandering that every other political show seems to do.

News and Notes is the absolute WORST though - they will channel anything and I mean ANYTHING through the "people of color" lens. It's infuriating. Not to mention the panel of journalists they have are like high school newspaper kids each taking on a different stock pundit personality. It's total amateur hour.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »
I love Radiolab, but what do I know? I like On the Media a lot, too!

Do any of you guys listen to WNYC's Radiolab? People recommended it to me, but can you tell me what the deal is with the host? The only one I've listened to so far is one called "In Defense of Darwin" where the host gets the shit kicked out of him by Richard Dawkins and then edits in smarmy, sarcastic asides to his radio audience. Is this typical? Because if so, this is the worst radio show in the history of broadcast.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2009, 10:55:41 AM »
how do you guys have time to listen to all these podcasts

todd

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »

I sit at a computer for 8 hours a day.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »

I sit at a computer for 8 hours a day.

Same for me.  I also work in a really quiet office where I'm not bothered by too many people.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
I still enjoy On The Media. Even though they're smarmy, I like that they take stands on issues instead of the dickless pandering that every other political show seems to do.

I think On the Media is a solid weekly listen.

teenboat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
1.Five Tacos and a Taco - a list based podcast (top five) of a new topic each week, both guys are pretty funny
2.PTI - for sports fans, it's just an audio version of the popular ESPN show but it is by far the best sports related podcast I've found
3.RadioLab - I disagree with most of what I have heard on this thread. I think this show is awesome and I've listened to every episode
4.Shoddy Radio - Pretty vulgar, semi-racist, always interesting and very, very funny at times (also disgusting)
5.The Moth - Stories told live on stage some of which are so heart felt they'll move you to tears (and I'm a dude)
This podcast is usually funny

Shoddy Radio

Reeleyes

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »
5.The Moth - Stories told live on stage some of which are so heart felt they'll move you to tears (and I'm a dude)

I really love the Moth. They've started an hour long radio show but I don't think they're pocasting it yet.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »

Do any of you guys listen to WNYC's Radiolab? People recommended it to me, but can you tell me what the deal is with the host? The only one I've listened to so far is one called "In Defense of Darwin" where the host gets the shit kicked out of him by Richard Dawkins and then edits in smarmy, sarcastic asides to his radio audience. Is this typical? Because if so, this is the worst radio show in the history of broadcast.

I understand both sides of the radio lab debate.  It can be pretty obnoxious-lame-redundant.  At times though it transcends and can be amazing.  For those wondering why bother i recommend listening to the war of the worlds episode.  Which is pretty great and the one that got me hooked.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »

I understand both sides of the radio lab debate.  It can be pretty obnoxious-lame-redundant.  At times though it transcends and can be amazing.  For those wondering why bother i recommend listening to the war of the worlds episode.  Which is pretty great and the one that got me hooked.

About every third-fourth episode nails me. The latest one was "Stochasticity". Explains subtle points about probability amazingly well.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
I am going to listen to that episode to see if it changes my mind.  My strong language earlier was probably the result of sleep deprivation.  I suppose what bugs me about the episodes I listened to was the sub-Dusty Show editing and the very thin examination of actual scientific or philosophical concepts.  But they can't all be winners.

DrCam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »
I highly recommend Sunday Night Safran with John Safran and Father Bob Maguire.

I also make my own podcast, the latest episode of which can be found here, but it is probably a little too niche for anyone outside Australia.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
Don't forget Venison Stew!

DrCam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:54 AM »
Has anyone ever listened to Marijuana Radio?

Great tunes from the likes of Los Marijuanos, Kottonmouth Kings, Herb Superb and Dean Friedman! But that's not all. There is also informed political debate from presenters McKenna, Paul, Roger and Dank. The podcast is available from iTunes, but you can listen LIVE Tuesday nights from 9pm EST. Listen closely, and perhaps you could be the next MR Cheeba Champ???

What else are you gonna be doing on a Tuesday night?

teenboat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »
Support two underdog podcasts. Five Tacos and a Taco and Shoddy Radio. I know Tom rails against podcasts but these are both well done and funny. Give them a shot, you might be surprised.
This podcast is usually funny

Shoddy Radio