Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650614 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »
As far as music goes, I love the Fatty Jubbo podcast. I've found some great stuff. I'm a big fan of DJ/Rupture's Mudd UP!.

There is a staggering array of netlabel action out there. I was wondering if anyone has found some decent netlabel podcasts? I found one, it's called Density of Sound. (Full disclosure: He's played some tunes I submitted. Maybe he'll play one of yours.) It's mostly electronic and dubby, but like Rupture, he throws some curveballs. Most of the free CC music out there, just like most of the music out there in general, is just horrible. But some people seem to be able to find good music; not only that, but fit it all into an interesting overall aesthetic vision. http://densityofsound.com/wordpress/

Maybe he'll play some of Glenn Reynold's techno music. http://alicublog.blogspot.com/2010_03_21_archive.html#8685550499069967575

WTF has really grown on me. (There's another thread going on about whether Marc Maron should go on The Best Show. These streams should not cross! PFT was on WTF and it didn't work at all.)

I almost always get something out of RadioLab. They get access to amazing guests; but it's also extremely annoying. It is over-produced, precious and self-important in the This American Life vein. And Jad's smugness and facile observations/conclusions make it ALMOST unbearable. That being said, I've learned some crazy shit--anyone hear the Parasite episode? Wild stuff.

And I keep going back to The Dusty Show! Clay Pigeon has really done some beautiful stuff over the years. I like it best when he interviews homeless people. His election night episode is the stuff of legend.

I agree and disagree with other things said on this thread and everywhere else in the universe!

I agree with most everything you say. I had to unsubscribe from RadioLab for those very reasons. All the little 'hey, this is what it sounds like when the neurons in your brain communicate' sound effects and stuff really got annoying.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:39 PM »
SUPEREGO is my new second favorite podcast. Or third if I count best show gems ;)

I can't believe I missed this before. I spent all this time looking for something funny, and ended up with all sorts of moderately funny but ultimately mediocre opinioncasts from random folks. Finally I tried the super ego and checked out some sort of 'best of' edition or something and wow, i laughed my rear off. I typically use podcasts as somethiing to listen to as I drift off to sleep, a settling down exercise but it kept me awake. I had to get up and download more after.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
SUPEREGO is my new second favorite podcast. Or third if I count best show gems ;)

I can't believe I missed this before. I spent all this time looking for something funny, and ended up with all sorts of moderately funny but ultimately mediocre opinioncasts from random folks. Finally I tried the super ego and checked out some sort of 'best of' edition or something and wow, i laughed my rear off. I typically use podcasts as somethiing to listen to as I drift off to sleep, a settling down exercise but it kept me awake. I had to get up and download more after.

Toilet mouths. It's a shame it's so funny, really, as it's undermining the fabric of the world.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
Look who's on the next Comedy and Everything Else.

"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »

Notice that Tom is on the mic to prevent that see-saw sound quality.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »

Notice that Tom is on the mic to prevent that see-saw sound quality.

Also, one headphone on & one off.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the C&EE. I've listened on and off in the past but stopped recently just because Dore wears on me after awhile. This, however, is enough to make me revisit.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the C&EE. I've listened on and off in the past but stopped recently just because Dore wears on me after awhile. This, however, is enough to make me revisit.

Ditto.  Also, ditto on the Superego love.  Wowzers.
Who I don't have chocolate?

johnintheuk

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »

FYI, this episode has now gone live and it's a two-parter (part 2 should be available next week). http://www.comedyandeverythingelse.net/episode/episode-85-paul-f-tompkins-and-tom-scharpling

Reeleyes

« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
The first part was pretty good. I was skeptical when it started off with literal toilet talk but Tom got into it after that. I can't wait to hear the dramatic conclusion next week.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:57 AM »
Tom and Jimmy Dore?  Yes, please.  Thanks for the heads up!
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
The bit that Tom's talking about from the awesome SCTV programme, the William B. Show:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D6koyUUZcU&feature=related[/youtube]

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »
Also had one of those totally weird moments RE the DuMont television network, since I was looking at a website last week about weird forgotten relics in NYC. This neon ad was in my neighborhood:

Pastor Josh

« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
Just listened to the most recent episode of The Long Shot Podcast.  I enjoyed it, but I suspect I might not enjoy it for long.  I love Eddie Pepitone, though.  Anyone else have thoughts about it?
Who I don't have chocolate?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
I like "Truth-Driven Thinking". 
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."