Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650521 times)

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
I am going to recommend a particular podcast episode:  Alexander Theroux's interview in The Marketplace of Ideas, from a few years back.  He manages to compare himself to Dickens, Cervantes, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Nabokov and many others in forty short minutes, and propounds eloquently first on the stupidity of critics, before widening his aim to take in all humanity.  Not only does he convey how much more intelligent he is than most people, and better read, but he also makes sure to explain how he is also more generous and godly.  I came away from this interview liking the guy a lot.

Any book described as "the Moby-Dick of misanthropy" piques my interest, especially as I am a huge fan of Melville's existential whaling epic. But I'm also considering re-reading "Gravity's Rainbow"... Pynchon is a huge time consumer... Is theroux as taxing?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #361 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »
Tom makes a brief appearance on SuperEgo 3:1

http://www.gosuperego.com/podcast-episode-3-1/

'I'm a 9 year old Colonel Sanders'

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »
I need help with my podcast addiction. I listen to lots of podcasts; in fact, I am at critical mass. I listen to so many that I am just on the verge of being unable to stay caught up. Obviously some need to go. Clearly I need to pick up Saturn Scene. Help cow me into getting rid of many of these so that I can go back to listening to records! Watching TV! Mowing the lawn!

Best Show Gems
Best Show
Bitslap
Bored-Again Christian
Bugle
CITR: Nardwuar
Comedy and Everything Else
Comedy Death-Ray
Comedy Films Nerds (this one's a goner; Graham Elwood, one of the hosts, tries so hard to "support" his guests and co-host that he launches this braying giggle at EVERYTHING anybody says; it's not all comedy gold, Graham, and your laugh could kill a squirrel from 100 feet, just like it kills the momentum of your show. He also does not take well to suggestions about how to make his show better; he's called out "critics" offering the mildest sort of "hey you might try this" comment, naming names, and firing what feels like totally earnest "fuck yous". If they're real, he's a horrible person. If they are fake, it's an overdone joke (just like his accents, and "kitten hands".) And then he giggles like an idiot.)
Coverville (about 1 song in 4 is really strong, but there's too many lazy country covers, reggae covers, and the acapella stuff? Get me a gun. But it's hard to quit because every once in a while he tosses off something fantastic. Big demerits for constantly berating his wife's responses to the show's frequent listener-produced trivia segments (Oh, Tina!!!!) And make no mistake, if this guy plays a song, any song, no matter how trivial, when he back announces it, it will be pronounced "very very cool". Even if it's Celine Dion covering Michael Bolton.)
Dave Emory
Doug Loves Movies (I like listening to Doug, and I think he's often very funny, if occasionally a little too dependent on the obvious joke, but I have learned from Comedy Central that I do not like to watch him; that goofy little grin is something I can't see when I am driving down the road, thank God. A face made for radio. It's a good thing I like listening to him, because like Jimmy Pardo, he seems to be on about 6 podcasts a week.)
Dusty Show
Film Vault (Guys affiliated with the Adam Corolla network make short lists of films by weekly categories. Tough call, because while the dominant of the two is a Carolla-like dick, he also knows his stuff, and while he falls over himself trying to get in what must be a mandatory weekly quota of "fuck yous", every once in a while there's an opinion that's pretty well informed. It's probably going, but I would feel like I was missing a good 2-3 minutes of insight per week from the 60-70 minute show.)
Fredericks
Glitter in the Garbage (I was really with this through about 4 episodes, but it's up to 14, and I haven't heard anything new in weeks. Drew Droege seems to have one setting: venal.)
How Did This Get Made (I am really fond of Paul Scheer, but he has a less severe case of Graham Elwood disease. The jokes need oxygen, Paul, and every once in a while, they don't really deserve a full-throttle laugh.)
How Was Your Week
Judge John Hodgman
KCRW Left Right and Center
KCRW The Treatment
The Math Factor
Michael Shelley
Night People
NPR On the Media
NPR: All Songs Considered
NPR: All Songs Considered Live Concerts
Pod F Tompkast
PRI: Sound of Young America
Proudly Resents (This comes across as a lazier version of How Did This Get Made. It's probably about to go.)
Relevant Podcast
Seven Second Delay
Shut Up Weirdo (Here you get to find out what The Best Show would be like if Tom gave the callers free reign. The same 7-8 callers are in each week twisting the week's topic to display their own personal obsession. Spike's on here almost weekly, and may be the best guest, and guess what he talks about? Soap operas, getting old, hating yoots. One woman's going to call and talk about her hearse and her obsession with nuns. Her twin sister's going to call and allude to a family problem that she can't go into the details about. The same 2 or 3 guys are going to call offering their unfettered love to Frangry, when it sounds more like they would like to have her chained in their basement. She will flirt with them to a point, then feign mock outrage before hanging up on them. There's almost a Kabuki feel to it, like someone's in the background checking off a list of 30-40 things that must get mentioned every week. Maybe there's a Frangry and Andy Bingo game going on in the background.)
Sklarbro Country
Slate Culture Gabfest
Smartest Man in the World
Superego
Tony Campolo
Too Much Information
Who Charted
WNYC Radiolab (I am a science/math nerd)
WTF

Talk me down off this ledge! It's more weekly ipod time than one man can bear! Sorry for the spammage, insomnia's a terrible thing.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »
Ugh, I have to say, even just reading about Shut Up Weirdo is squicking me out. I listened to that show once, didn't like it, never went back.

It sounds like you've got a cut list already brewing Dave! My podcast list looks pretty similar to yours except I've got more woo woo yoga stuff on mine. I cut Coverville and never looked back - it was a hard one to cut for the reasons you mention but there's just too much show there to weed through. I sub/unsub from C&EE and CDR depending on what people say around here, like if there's been some good stuff lately I'll go in and sub for a while ... then when I get behind, they get the ax.

I gave up on NPR completely about 4 or 5 years ago I think so I don't listen to any of their podcasts.

Any Song of the Day podcasts, well I love the idea of them but they were filling up my ipod something horrible so I had to let them go. (in fact what I'd love is if anyone wants to give me some mix show ideas so I can still hear new stuff!)

Is Night People even on anymore, or is that you still catching up?

Does that help?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »
Forgot to add:

the reason I unsubbed from Doug Loves Movies (even though I like it quite a bit) is that depending on the guest combo, multiple people will often talk at once on that show and it becomes exasperating to listen to. Doug doesn't do a whole lot to keep his guests in line.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:41 AM »
I used to listen to C&EE but I can't really stand listening to Dore pontificate about politics at a junior-high level and act as if he's dropping some serious knowledge anymore.

I tried Shut Up Weirdo when it started, didn't like it, and hadn't gone back until a couple of weeks ago, when I caught one of their marathon shows. I thought it might've found its groove in the time since I'd last listened, but it seemed pretty much the same. Frangry does the whole push-pull thing with the drooling guys who call in. Andy seems like a very nice guy, and he might be fine paired with someone else, but this show doesn't work for me at all.

CDR is really guest-dependent for me, and even then I can almost never listen to the whole show. I do find Aukerman very engaging and funny, but I've almost always lost interest by the time they get to whatever game they're playing near the end.

The only NPR podcast I subscribe to is This American Life. The episodes vary a LOT in terms of quality, but the good ones are really amazing.

Do you listen to the Best Show live? I unsubscribed from the podcast since I always listen live and I only rarely listen a second time.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I do a compromise thing where I listen live but bail out around 11pm so I will have something new to listen to on the podcast.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
I used to listen live, until I moved to the east coast.  8 to 11 is pushing it, 9 to midnight is impossible for me.  (I wake up at 5.)  It was 6 to 10 in Colorado.  I miss the chat, but at the same time, I miss (other sense of the word) less of what goes on in the show not being distracted by it.

I like News in Slow Spanish and the "Podcast de BBC Mundo" for language skill purposes.  News is good in a language you only understand some of, because you can quickly figure out what they're talking about.  Does anyone know of any similar French resources?  I am taking French classes now since I was in French-speaking areas on three separate occasions last year.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »
I'm loving Greg Proops' SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD. It doesn't make me laugh very often, but he's an interesting guy with a wide frame of reference, and it's really fun to listen to him go.

WHO CHARTED has really come into it's own. They found a novel way to get around the problem of chart redundancy, and I think it's probably the most consistent show on the Earwolf roster.

HOW DID THIS GET MADE, I really dislike, and I'm not sure why. It just feels so slapdash, like zero effort goes into it. Also, seeing bad movies for ironic enjoyment is something I grew out of around 11th grade. Something about a roomful of adults (comedians, I know, but still...) riffing on OLD DOGS is just depressing to me.

SUPEREGO is still the best pure comedy podcast out there, I think. Nothing else makes me laugh as hard and as often.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Pidgeon

« Reply #369 on: March 25, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
I'm loving Greg Proops' SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD. It doesn't make me laugh very often, but he's an interesting guy with a wide frame of reference, and it's really fun to listen to him go.

I think his stand-up is obnoxious, but him on a podcast actually sounds kind of interesting.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #370 on: March 25, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »

Agreed. I love it. He never crosses the line into pretentious windbag, even when he's tossing 50-cent words around at will. He's just an amazing captivating talker.

I enjoy HOW DID THIS GET MADE, but I see your point. I think part of why it comes across as amateurish or slapdash is because of the horrible audio quality of the pre-recorded sounds, specifically the theme song and the AOL "You've got mail" clip, both of which sound like they were recorded with shitty condenser mics from across the room.

Agreed also about SUPEREGO. Pure genius.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

I think his stand-up is obnoxious, but him on a podcast actually sounds kind of interesting.

If you don't like his standup, you won't like the podcast. It might as well be his act - it's him talking in front of a live audience for an hour plus.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
I used to listen to C&EE but I can't really stand listening to Dore pontificate about politics at a junior-high level and act as if he's dropping some serious knowledge anymore.

I still subscribe but only listen if it's a guest I really like. I find it's easier to just keep subscribing instead of remebering to check every so often. If it's a guest I don't want to listen to, I just delete it.

I agree with cutting Comedy Film Nerds. I can only take Graham in small doses.

Dave, I see you listen to the Slate Culture Gabfest. Have you listened to Hang Up & Listen, Slate's sports podcast? I think it's pretty good.

And for anyone who hasn't listened to Julie Klausner's How Was Your Week?, it's highly entertaining. Also nice to hear a podcast that isn't just a bunch of dudes.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
I un-subbed from Doug Loves movies b/c for a while Doug Benson was on every podcast in existence and I needed to take a little time off from Doug Benson. I may go back and try it again.

Pidgeon

« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
I can never get enough Doug Benson.