Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650385 times)

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #375 on: March 25, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
I need help with my podcast addiction. I listen to lots of podcasts; in fact, I am at critical mass. I listen to so many that I am just on the verge of being unable to stay caught up. Obviously some need to go. Clearly I need to pick up Saturn Scene. Help cow me into getting rid of many of these so that I can go back to listening to records! Watching TV! Mowing the lawn!

Talk me down off this ledge! It's more weekly ipod time than one man can bear! Sorry for the spammage, insomnia's a terrible thing.
I think you just need to become a long-distance truck driver.
Problem solved.
"Dad gets mad."

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
I don't mind Doug Benson showing up on podcasts, but Kevin Pollak needs to disappear from the face of the earth. The hats, the tired Christopher Walken impression - all of it needs to go.

(Full Disclosure: I don't listen to Kevin Pollak's Chat Show. It could be the funniest, most interesting show in the world. I wouldn't know. All I know is, whenever he shows up anywhere else, he makes himself the center of attention and is horribly unfunny. Just my opinion.)
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
I've added "The Longshot" recently - Eddie Pepitone and some of his friends. It's a good mix of people. They have a guest each week, but because there are five (!) people including the guest, they have to be really strong to fight to be heard. It's mostly Pepitone being called out on his craziness.

You should drop "On the Media" The host's smarmy audio eye-rolling is too much.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
I don't mind Doug Benson showing up on podcasts, but Kevin Pollak needs to disappear from the face of the earth. The hats, the tired Christopher Walken impression - all of it needs to go.

(Full Disclosure: I don't listen to Kevin Pollak's Chat Show. It could be the funniest, most interesting show in the world. I wouldn't know. All I know is, whenever he shows up anywhere else, he makes himself the center of attention and is horribly unfunny. Just my opinion.)

Pollak is not a particularly good interviewer and his attitude towards the guests can charitably be described as "boot-licking sycophantism," but depending on the guest, it can be OK. The PFT episode was good. I was interested to hear the Maron episode, but the show has gone pay-to-play, which means I'll never watch/listen again.

I watched a few minutes of the Billy Bob Thornton episode and he almost immediately reinforced what a gaping asshole of a human being he is.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
Forgot to add:

the reason I unsubbed from Doug Loves Movies (even though I like it quite a bit) is that depending on the guest combo, multiple people will often talk at once on that show and it becomes exasperating to listen to. Doug doesn't do a whole lot to keep his guests in line.

Recent Jeff Garlin episode was torture

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2011, 08:13:34 PM »

Do you listen to the Best Show live? I unsubscribed from the podcast since I always listen live and I only rarely listen a second time.

My wake-up time is 5AM, so I rarely get to listen live.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »
I used to listen to C&EE but I can't really stand listening to Dore pontificate about politics at a junior-high level and act as if he's dropping some serious knowledge anymore.

Dave, I see you listen to the Slate Culture Gabfest. Have you listened to Hang Up & Listen, Slate's sports podcast? I think it's pretty good.

This sounds great. Can I add another? Hmmm

wood and iron

« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
I still listen and like it but how hard would it be for Doug Benson to instruct his guests on how to play his games beforehand? That eats up like 10 minutes every show of the guest completely not getting how to play the game. Also, the 10 minutes of explaining whats in the gift bag is rather dull.

Also, The Bugle is really funny.

moonshake

« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
It's an outrage that I seem to be the only FOT who listens to The Amateur Scientist Podcast.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
I used to listen to C&EE but I can't really stand listening to Dore pontificate about politics at a junior-high level and act as if he's dropping some serious knowledge anymore.

Dave, I see you listen to the Slate Culture Gabfest. Have you listened to Hang Up & Listen, Slate's sports podcast? I think it's pretty good.

This sounds great. Can I add another? Hmmm
Warning - while you were reading 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Since you asked

Best Show Gems
Best Show
Unsure-Bored-Again Christian (Gonna check it out)
Bugle
Delete and check when inspired -CITR: Nardwuar
Comedy and Everything Else (his radio show is tighter/better/shorter)
Dave Emory
Delete and check when inspired-Doug Loves Movies (go by guests)
Dusty Show
Fredericks Mind Thing
How Was Your Week
Judge John Hodgman
The Math Factor
Michael Shelley
Night People
NPR On the Media
Pod F Tompkast
Relevant Podcast
Seven Second Delay
Smartest Man in the World
Superego
Too Much Information
WNYC Radiolab (I am a science/math nerd)
Delete and check when inspired- WTF (go by guest)

I’d add Common Sense- Dan Carlin
Oh and On Being
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2011, 10:08:57 PM »
Been loving Rob Huebel's Mike Detective podcast lately, so funny.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #387 on: March 26, 2011, 03:21:39 AM »
And it's short too.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »
I also enjoy Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film review podcast, but it doesn't always bat 1.000. Kermode tends to hit his favored talking points repeatedly, and Mayo sometimes REALLY gets on my nerves. He does an adequate job as Kermode's foil, but when he tries to be funny and overtalk Kermode, it's unbelievably grating.

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Pidgeon

« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
I also enjoy Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film review podcast, but it doesn't always bat 1.000. Kermode tends to hit his favored talking points repeatedly, and Mayo sometimes REALLY gets on my nerves. He does an adequate job as Kermode's foil, but when he tries to be funny and overtalk Kermode, it's unbelievably grating.

Every now and then there's a review where Mayo is just an over-the-top jerk.