Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650390 times)

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #465 on: June 06, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
I am really liking Comedy Death Ray.

What's that?

Bang Bang, you shot him down.

What does everyone think about the comedy songs that he plays between interviews? I've never liked comedy songs and I can't really understand the frame of mind that someone has to be in to enjoy them. I think Reggie Watts makes funny music when the lyrics aren't trying to be intentionally funny. I just can't stand that same old method for writing comedy songs. Like how the first verse just builds up to a wacky/vulgar chorus that they come back to like 8 times. The songs are the only bad thing about CDR imo.

I think the comedy songs are kind of a mixed bag. I like, say, Weird Al's stuff or Don't Stop or We'll Die, and when Scott plays a song that wasn't necessarily meant to be a comedy song (e.g. Nimoy's 'Ballad of Bilbo Baggins' ....he's only 3 feet tall! he's the bravest little hobbit of them all!'.)

I am glad they killed off 'Jukebox Jury'. Way too many 'white guys sure rap badly' or 'I'm going to say something incredibly offensive and gross because that's hilarious!' songs there.

The only time I liked the novelty songs was when they'd play Jukebox Jury and Hott Saucerman would go on and on about how awful the songs were because it was about a singing vagina or about having diarrhea and usually poorly rapped by white guys 'cause, hey, white people rapping, what is this, Blondie, and then play a song by someone incredible funny but that was guilty of exactly the same things.  By the way, is Lonely island supposed to be funny?  I agree that the best songs are the ones that aren't supposed to be funny, like the Joe Pesci rap.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #466 on: June 06, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
The only time I liked the novelty songs was when they'd play Jukebox Jury and Hott Saucerman would go on and on about how awful the songs were because it was about a singing vagina or about having diarrhea and usually poorly rapped by white guys 'cause, hey, white people rapping, what is this, Blondie, and then play a song by someone incredible funny but that was guilty of exactly the same things.  By the way, is Lonely island supposed to be funny?  I agree that the best songs are the ones that aren't supposed to be funny, like the Joe Pesci rap.

That Joe Pesci rap gave me nightmares. The Buzz Aldrin rap, I think I blacked out while running in the middle of it, but that was cognitive-dissonance inducing, too.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #467 on: June 06, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »
Any thoughts on the Apples Sisters?  I'm pretty sure I don't understand it.

I enjoyed it. I'm glad it's only about 20 minutes long because it could get stale quick, but I liked the first episode.

By the way, not quite related to any one podcast, but I just found out that there really is a show called CAKE BOSS. I always assumed it was just a character Paul F. Tompkins made up from scratch.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #468 on: June 07, 2011, 04:15:52 AM »

By the way, not quite related to any one podcast, but I just found out that there really is a show called CAKE BOSS. I always assumed it was just a character Paul F. Tompkins made up from scratch.
I'm sorta unplugged from pop culture references, i thought exactly the same thing! I love PFT's version of Cake Boss. The Comedy Bang Bang episode with him and Andy Richter was very funny.

PFT was brought to earth to star in his own comedy sketch show.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #469 on: June 07, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »

I'm sorta unplugged from pop culture references, i thought exactly the same thing! ...

I was vaguely aware that the Cake Boss was a real thing, but I have yet to see or hear the actual show/person ... not sure there's any particular reason to do so.

But my whole life I've always stumbled upon pop-culture touchstones via the backward lens of comedy. I remember reading the Mad Magazine parody of A Clockwork Orange when I was maybe seven years old. The drawn images were freakish and fascinating for the young me, and I probably didn't get a lot of the jokes. But it made an impression. 10+ years later I saw Clockwork Orange for a fancy-schmancy film appreciation class in college, and I was all like "oh yeah, this is that movie from Mad Magazine".

Let's see ... Mad also introduced me to "the Godfather", "Apocalypse Now", and "Jaws". I still haven't gotten around to a proper viewing of "Jaws", believe it or not.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
Just learned that the Cake Boss will be making a personal appearance here in Knoxville, talking about his show and and his "heritage". I will not be in attendance.

CAYK BOSS

I'm sorta unplugged from pop culture references, i thought exactly the same thing! ...

I was vaguely aware that the Cake Boss was a real thing, but I have yet to see or hear the actual show/person ... not sure there's any particular reason to do so.

But my whole life I've always stumbled upon pop-culture touchstones via the backward lens of comedy. I remember reading the Mad Magazine parody of A Clockwork Orange when I was maybe seven years old. The drawn images were freakish and fascinating for the young me, and I probably didn't get a lot of the jokes. But it made an impression. 10+ years later I saw Clockwork Orange for a fancy-schmancy film appreciation class in college, and I was all like "oh yeah, this is that movie from Mad Magazine".

Let's see ... Mad also introduced me to "the Godfather", "Apocalypse Now", and "Jaws". I still haven't gotten around to a proper viewing of "Jaws", believe it or not.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:31 PM »
Just learned that the Cake Boss will be making a personal appearance here in Knoxville, talking about his show and and his "heritage". I will not be in attendance.

CAYK BOSS

You should bring him a box of wine and ask him to see into your future.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #472 on: June 07, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »
I wish I had the gift of second sight.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #473 on: June 07, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »

I have the gift of second thoughts.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #474 on: June 07, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »

Really, you should think about that...

again.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #475 on: June 08, 2011, 09:57:05 AM »

Go find yourself  cake bug.  Just make sure he's not rajeoacdive.
Who I don't have chocolate?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #476 on: June 08, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »

Really, you should think about that...

again.

Jesus has the gift of second coming. We think.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #477 on: June 08, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
I was so grateful that the folks at the Slate Culture Podcast recommended Start the Week. I needed a podcast to replace the Slate Culture Podcast. That host guy is an insufferable dick.

wood and iron

« Reply #478 on: June 09, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
I have ditched the Nerdist for good. Man, those guys have nothing to say and turns out, they're jerks!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #479 on: June 09, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
I have ditched the Nerdist for good. Man, those guys have nothing to say and turns out, they're jerks!

I haven't listed for awhile, but I don't remember getting a jerky vibe from any of them. That's too bad.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.