Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650545 times)

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #510 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
I happened to be at the recording and much of the audience didn't know what to make of him (it was clear that 75% had no idea who he was). I thought Simmons was wise to stay in the background for a lot of the show, definitely looked like he was feeling it out for his first time.

As for Bull Durham, it shouldn't be the best sports movie because it's a lousy movie.

To be fair, he's only seen six or seven movies.

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #511 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:07 PM »
I enjoyed listening to Hodgman cover for Leonard Lopate.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #512 on: June 22, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
I highly recommend The Tobolowsky Files. Wonderful personal storytelling that is funny and poignant. He was on Sklarbro Country a couple weeks ago and it was wonderful.

Also..Sklarbro Country? Great!

I listened to Mr. Tobolowsky for a while and enjoyed it but eventually had to dump the show. I find that he reaches very very hard to try and get some thematic and sometimes pretentious messages out of the stories of his life. Plus, he is so obviously still in love with his ex-girlfriend that I get embarrassed for his current wife.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #513 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
I have a podcasting app suggestion: Instacast for iOS. Previous mobile podcatchers never did the trick, but Instacast has totally replaced iTunes for podcasts for me. It's very well done.

It does all the things I want--automatically downloading episodes, deleting them after they've been played, double speed playback, streaming episodes that are *not* locally cached, double speed playback working even with streaming (which I've never seen before), really good discovery of new podcasts, ability to import your existing podcast subscriptions (for all podcasts that are currently stored on your phone or iPod touch), and so on and so forth.  And it has all of these features without being a cluttery mess.

ps: double speed playback in iOS is really 1.5 speed. I've heard some podcast hosts bitch about people using it for some reason. Talk faster and I won't, podcast hosts of the world. Or step it up to Scharpling level--I never 1.5x the Best Show.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #514 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
This week on WTF, Jimmy Fallon was talking about his reputation for breaking character in skits, and referenced this one. He said most of the breaking took place when people were off camera, but there's plenty on as well. I am providing a link, purely for educational purposes, of course.
http://www.movieweb.com/tv/TEGvVHKMTY9XLK/HUOvrPTXz9clSS]
[url]http://www.movieweb.com/tv/TEGvVHKMTY9XLK/HUOvrPTXz9clSS
[/url]

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #515 on: June 26, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »
I have a podcasting app suggestion: Instacast for iOS. Previous mobile podcatchers never did the trick, but Instacast has totally replaced iTunes for podcasts for me. It's very well done.

It does all the things I want--automatically downloading episodes, deleting them after they've been played, double speed playback, streaming episodes that are *not* locally cached, double speed playback working even with streaming (which I've never seen before), really good discovery of new podcasts, ability to import your existing podcast subscriptions (for all podcasts that are currently stored on your phone or iPod touch), and so on and so forth.  And it has all of these features without being a cluttery mess.

ps: double speed playback in iOS is really 1.5 speed. I've heard some podcast hosts bitch about people using it for some reason. Talk faster and I won't, podcast hosts of the world. Or step it up to Scharpling level--I never 1.5x the Best Show.

Thanks for this. This app addresses many of my "Why doesn't iTunes do this?" podcast-related issues. I just got it so I haven't had a chance to explore all the features, but totally worth the $2.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #516 on: June 26, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »
Any recos for non-Mac, non-iTunes podcast apps? I'm on Windows (and an Android mobile) and I hate iTunes, but the only thing iTunes does reasonably well is handling podcasts, so that's what I use it for. But its ever-increasing bloatedness is annoying, and I would really like to uninstall it once and for all.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #517 on: June 26, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
I don't have a specific suggestion except that you want something that runs directly on your phone. Thus Mac/Windows doesn't matter.

wood and iron

« Reply #518 on: June 26, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »
I have a question for you podcast addicts (like I am): do you find yourself listening to podcasts so much that you realize you haven't listened to music in a few days? How do you balance this out?

moonshake

« Reply #519 on: June 26, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »
Any recos for non-Mac, non-iTunes podcast apps? I'm on Windows (and an Android mobile) and I hate iTunes, but the only thing iTunes does reasonably well is handling podcasts, so that's what I use it for. But its ever-increasing bloatedness is annoying, and I would really like to uninstall it once and for all.
Doubletwist might be an option. It's supposed to be "iTunes for android"- your PC downloads the podcasts and pushes it to your phone (usb or wifi). It will also sync your music, photos, etc.

If you get decent 3G and have a phone with a good battery, Google Listen might work for you (I have neither, so this didn't work too good for me).

You could also try going back to an older version of iTunes. How are you syncing your iTunes podcasts to your android now?
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #520 on: June 26, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »
I have a question for you podcast addicts (like I am): do you find yourself listening to podcasts so much that you realize you haven't listened to music in a few days? How do you balance this out?

I follow a pretty standard regime:  Podcasts when I'm walking, music on the train + reading, music while working, podcasts while walking the dog and cleaning the house.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:39 AM »
Doubletwist might be an option. It's supposed to be "iTunes for android"- your PC downloads the podcasts and pushes it to your phone (usb or wifi). It will also sync your music, photos, etc.

If you get decent 3G and have a phone with a good battery, Google Listen might work for you (I have neither, so this didn't work too good for me).

You could also try going back to an older version of iTunes. How are you syncing your iTunes podcasts to your android now?

I tried Doubletwist when it was fairly new and not very stable (plus I had an older computer and a shitty phone). Will need to check it out again and see how much better it's gotten.

I listen to podcasts both on my laptop and on my phone. Right now I'm using HTC's sync software to sync my iTunes folder with my phone. It works fairly well but feels like a workaround.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #522 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:23 AM »
Update: just tried Doubletwist again - and uninstalled it within twenty minutes. Still horribly clunky, even more CPU-hogging than iTunes. Frequently freezes, becomes unresponsive. Interesting idea with the "air sync" - but that's an add-on they charge for.

Back to iTunes for now...

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #523 on: June 27, 2011, 06:21:16 AM »

I quit listening to music, with very few exceptions, about 3 years ago. Keep buying it; hardly ever listen to it.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »
Update: just tried Doubletwist again - and uninstalled it within twenty minutes. Still horribly clunky, even more CPU-hogging than iTunes. Frequently freezes, becomes unresponsive. Interesting idea with the "air sync" - but that's an add-on they charge for.

Back to iTunes for now...

If you're looking for a PC-based program because you listen to podcasts on your laptop, try "Juice." http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/

It just does podcasts.

One of the reasons iTunes is so good for podcasts is the directory of podcasts in the iTunes store. Juice has its own directory.  If anything is missing from it, podcasts are just delivered through RSS feeds and you can manually add a subscription to anything not in is directory.

Also, foobar 2000, which is a great program if you're on Windows and are not signed up to the Apple digital hub lifestyle (tm), has podcatcher plugins.

I like Instacast because it's easier for the podcasts to just download directly to my iPhone and not worry about keeping things in sync.  They only automatically download over WiFi which my phone is connected to at home and work.