Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650528 times)

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #675 on: August 19, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Toffee Sunday Smash
Just wanted to mention I found the current iteration of this show.  Host Andy Morton is now involved with "Boo! Teak" at Frome FM.

Flashing in from the outer reaches of the pop universe comes Boo!Teak a new and bespoke mix of far-out 60s & 70s sounds that don't quite fit in Cast-Off Corner, aren't rock 'n' roll enough for The Bad Detectives Show and aren't out-and-out hippy enough for The Woodstock Generation.

Your host Andy Morten leads you into phosphorescent sub-strata of psychedelia, garage, harmony pop, acid-folk, cult soundtracks and the kind of uncategorisable oddities that continue to elude most radio stations and their listeners to this very day. You have been warned.

Looks like the station has some other interesting shows as well:  http://www.fromefm.co.uk/  (click Programmes > Music)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #676 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
The latest edition of Fredericks' Mind Thing is heartbreaking.

You know what the real American dream is? Better listen to Fredericks' Mind Thing to find out.
Mister Knoxville, you are like the Flash.

Fredericks,

I'm your biggest fan.

Annie

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #677 on: August 27, 2012, 12:49:27 AM »
Toffee Sunday Smash
Just wanted to mention I found the current iteration of this show.  Host Andy Morton is now involved with "Boo! Teak" at Frome FM.

Hey, I checked that out and I enjoyed it. I know you also mentioned liking the OST Show with Jonny Trunk. I've recently been really into these sets (downloadable so I guess they qualify as podcasts) http://soundcloud.com/patternandshape that seem to share the same "hauntology" aesthetic with Trunk's stuff.

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #678 on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:02 AM »
Cool thanks!  You're right about these mixes, I only played a few seconds before hitting the download button.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
Latest Judge Hodgman podcast has FOT Mountain Goat head as an expert witness into black metal. Wow, John Darnielle really, really digs metal. I would not have guessed.

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/judge-john-hodgman

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »
Latest Judge Hodgman podcast has FOT Mountain Goat head as an expert witness into black metal. Wow, John Darnielle really, really digs metal. I would not have guessed.

gravy boat's right to point out that episode. I would also add that it's very fun.

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #681 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »

gravy boat's right to point out that episode. I would also add that it's very fun.

John Darnielle's love of metal is no secret.  He has been writing about it for a long time (years?) at his website : http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/

More on topic - I considered posting the list of podcasts I regularly download and then thought twice - many have been mentioned here already, many are so niche as to be of little to no general interest, etc... SO

then I thought about listing podcasts I have enjoyed but have since abandoned but decided that was too negative.

So here are a few recommendations of lesser-known shows nonetheless, some repeated above I'm sure:

The Paul Goebel Show - I imagine soon the # of episodes (>300) will surpass the number of regular listeners but I hope it never stops.   Funny and interesting.

The Peach and Black Podcast - For Prince fans ONLY - A handful of Aussie Prince superfans discuss Prince-related events past and present.   Sure, whole episodes are skippable, every episode is probably at least 30min. too long but when the topic is of interest, it is really great.

Dream Tweet - A silly but fun podcast gameshow (this genre should take off!) featuring LA comedians (generally) quizzed about their popculture knowledge (what else?!) via tweets from celebrities. Short and entertaining.

Stones Throw Podcast - Free great music from a label that is always, at the least, interesting.

The Field Negro Guide to Arts and Culture - Vernon Reid (of Living Color and other guitar work) and W.Kamau Bell (standup now with own show on FX) talk about issues of the day.   I imagine given Kamau's new show, this will pick up new listeners.  They've been releasing episodes for years - start from the beginning.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #682 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation! The MaxFun website was very secretive about the identity of the expert witness, so I wouldn't have known it was Darnielle from their description. Loved hearing Hodgman's attempt at the Cookie Monster vocal style.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »
I love lists of podcasts! I love lists of almost any kind! List away!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #684 on: September 10, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
Only Fredericks' Mind Thing can fill up that hole you feel in your soul.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #685 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
Tom is the guest again on the newest edition of Bit of a Chat with Ken Plume. They're always a good listen.

Kevin from Pittsburgh

• Policemans heel
« Reply #686 on: October 03, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
Tom is the guest again on the newest edition of Bit of a Chat with Ken Plume. They're always a good listen.

This one is Chat #5.  Those previous episodes are what got me in to the Best Show, and all of the awesomeness that I was missing.  Tom rules.  Ken rules. Tom and Ken together are the rulingnest.
Does anybody have the new issue of Wizard?  Mike is getting his issue of Wizard from his bag.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #687 on: November 26, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »

This one is Chat #5.  Those previous episodes are what got me in to the Best Show, and all of the awesomeness that I was missing.  Tom rules.  Ken rules. Tom and Ken together are the rulingnest.

They are the greatest, but I really wish Tom would call on a better phone. :D

Kevin from Pittsburgh

• Policemans heel
« Reply #688 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
Trips to the convenience store and visits to business parks in the dead of night on a dodgy cell phone.  What more could you ask for :-)
Does anybody have the new issue of Wizard?  Mike is getting his issue of Wizard from his bag.

Kevin from Pittsburgh

• Policemans heel
« Reply #689 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »
Am I Right??

Andy Kindler and Tom Scharpling (November 30, 2012)
I don't even know that I need to do any kind of summary of this. We have TOM SCHARPLING and ANDY KINDLER! FOR TWO HOURS! You really don't hear much of Jesse and Evan, as we let BFF's Tom and Andy just catch up, hang out and make references that youngsters like us probably don't understand. PLAY IT FOR YOUR PARENTS!

http://cjsw.com/program/amiright/andy-kindler-and-tom-scharpling/

Is it Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus/Chrimbus/Sadvent already?!