Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650589 times)

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #705 on: December 05, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
This is the podcast RSS feed- http://arthur.libsyn.com/rss

You can subscribe by going to File -> Subscribe to Podcast (iTunes 11) or Advanced -> Subscribe to Podcast (iTunes 10 and older)

This should work too?

https://itunes.apple.com/se/podcast/arthur/id422299950

betheboy

« Reply #706 on: December 11, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
I've been listening to Stop Podcasting Yourself, and really enjoying it. It's moved into my top-tier of shows, that I listen to immediately. I like it because it's Canadian and so am I, so there is some cultural stuff in there that I don't get from the U.S. podcasts. I also like that it's got a gentle, easygoing atmosphere - it's not as shouty and vulgar as many of the L.A. comedy podcasts often are.

However, I find that often enough, when the hosts are discussing movies or just about anything cultural, they'll often get the details wrong in a way that makes me want to shout corrections into my mp3 player. And this gives me an even greater appreciation for the way Tom trolls his listeners by making these kinds of gaffes intentionally.

I was super into that podcast for a while. The slowly dawning realization that Dave seems like an undercover jerk turned me off. By undercover jerk, I mean, he comes off like a nice guy but is just a huge passive aggressive jerk a ton.

Bryan nailed it up above but I feel like I should say the "Dave Shumka is a secret jerk" rumor/theory doesn't make any sense to me. I've met him and Graham and they were both nothing but sweet the whole time. I actually spent more time with him because Graham was in such high demand, which is fine with me because - I'LL SAY IT! - I think Dave is the funniest podcast host goin'! And so nice!!!

I agree that Dave is pretty great and if it helps your opinion of him at all he's a fan of The Best Show.

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #707 on: December 11, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
I've been listening to Stop Podcasting Yourself, and really enjoying it. It's moved into my top-tier of shows, that I listen to immediately. I like it because it's Canadian and so am I, so there is some cultural stuff in there that I don't get from the U.S. podcasts. I also like that it's got a gentle, easygoing atmosphere - it's not as shouty and vulgar as many of the L.A. comedy podcasts often are.

However, I find that often enough, when the hosts are discussing movies or just about anything cultural, they'll often get the details wrong in a way that makes me want to shout corrections into my mp3 player. And this gives me an even greater appreciation for the way Tom trolls his listeners by making these kinds of gaffes intentionally.

I was super into that podcast for a while. The slowly dawning realization that Dave seems like an undercover jerk turned me off. By undercover jerk, I mean, he comes off like a nice guy but is just a huge passive aggressive jerk a ton.

Bryan nailed it up above but I feel like I should say the "Dave Shumka is a secret jerk" rumor/theory doesn't make any sense to me. I've met him and Graham and they were both nothing but sweet the whole time. I actually spent more time with him because Graham was in such high demand, which is fine with me because - I'LL SAY IT! - I think Dave is the funniest podcast host goin'! And so nice!!!

I agree that Dave is pretty great and if it helps your opinion of him at all he's a fan of The Best Show.

A fan of the Best Show and a trailblazing tipper of Spoony, to boot.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #708 on: December 14, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »
There's a brand-spanking new episode of Fredericks' Mind Thing, but I am not opening it until Christmas morning!

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #709 on: December 19, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
A friend told me to listen to The Champs (Neal Brennan, Moshe Kasher, DJ Douggpound). I don't know what I was expecting but so far it's 5 guys talking about the women they've slept with in great detail and a bunch of morning DJ sound effects in the background.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #710 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
That sounds awful, but Moshe Kasher is generally pretty smart and funny in my experience.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #711 on: December 19, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
Moshe Kasher is generally pretty smart and funny in my experience.

Yeah. That's what's so weird. Maybe it's like a parody of those kinds of shows? Give the David Alan Grier one a listen.

Meagan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #712 on: December 25, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
A friend told me to listen to The Champs (Neal Brennan, Moshe Kasher, DJ Douggpound). I don't know what I was expecting but so far it's 5 guys talking about the women they've slept with in great detail and a bunch of morning DJ sound effects in the background.

That's interesting. I've only listened to the Chelsea Peretti and Aziz Ansari ones, but I really enjoyed them. I thought it was pretty unique, funny, and I liked the pacing. I must have cherry-picked, though.

Speaking of Chelsea, her show is my pick for best new podcast of the year.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #713 on: January 13, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
Listening to the champs right now. I was super excited about hearing riff raff, but I hate Moshe Kasher and what's with all the incongruent drops?
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #714 on: January 15, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
I've been listening to the 'Shots Fired' hip-hop podcast on the Earwolf network. I like it, they will cover a specific topic on a show ('beefs','alter egos','white rappers') and I've found out about some new stuff there.

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #715 on: January 15, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
I've been listening to the 'Shots Fired' hip-hop podcast on the Earwolf network. I like it, they will cover a specific topic on a show ('beefs','alter egos','white rappers') and I've found out about some new stuff there.
Jeff Weiss, the co-host of Shots Fired, runs one of my favorite music websites, Passionweiss.com

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #716 on: January 16, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
I agree.  Also, the Reality Show Show makes me laugh and is also on Earwolf.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #717 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »
Do you like book learning?  I recommend the podcast, "The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps."  He's on episode 111, and has just gotten to Augustine, and if you start from the beginning you'll be treated to what is arguably the most thorough podcast treatment of the pre-Socratics.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #718 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
Jeff Weiss, the co-host of Shots Fired, runs one of my favorite music websites, Passionweiss.com

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check that out.

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #719 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:57 AM »
Roderick On The Line has been my absolute favorite for the past few months. It's Merlin Mann from You Look Nice Today and John Roderick from the Long Winters (who was also a guest on the first Four Loko Christmas) talking to each other with a similar pretext to YLNT, which is to say that they're "here to help." John is absurdly wise. Roderickin' is a pretty good example of some of his wisdom. There are a few inside jokes like Supertrain and Merlin dinging the bell but they're easy to get the hang of. On this week's episode they mostly talk about how punk rock is bullshit. I love it.