Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650529 times)

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #735 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »
PFT on Comedy Bang Bang: For Christ sake retire the characters!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #736 on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »

I had the same thought when I saw the umpteenth return or "Andrew Lloyd Weber" yesterday. It's the SNL syndrome: you find a good hook for a character, and then it's kinda enjoyable for a while, and then you keep on doing it to death, and nothing really new is happening with the character, and yet you keep on doing it.

I'm still listening to CBB but they're starting to lose me a little. If I see that their guest is someone I've never heard of before, I tend to be more excited about it.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

wood and iron

« Reply #737 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »

Agreed. I enjoy PFT on his own more. See: the latest Stop Podcasting Yourself.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #738 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:17 PM »
Quote from: wood and iron
Agreed. I enjoy PFT on his own more. See: the latest Stop Podcasting Yourself.

Yeah, he's always great on SPY. I'm also wearying of CBB, although I still listen, and often enough it's very funny. But the ads are unbearable, and it is very shouty in general.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #739 on: February 26, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
I went back to listen to CBB and I only made it through one and a half episodes. One involved the Huell Howser character 'retiring', in his case because he's no longer alive. Then I listened to I think the 200th episode and by the time Andy Daly finally got trotted out to do his character (usually I really like what Andy Daly does) I was so weary of hearing Scott and Jason Mantzoukis (sp?) bantering that I bailed out and cleared up some space on my phone. Sheesh. And I don't particularly wish ill on any of those individuals.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #740 on: February 26, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
One involved the Huell Howser character 'retiring', in his case because he's no longer alive.

I found that episode particularly frustrating, because I think Adomian was actually trying to do something nice and heartfelt in tribute to Huell, but Jeff Garlin stepped all over it.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

wood and iron

« Reply #741 on: February 26, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »
One involved the Huell Howser character 'retiring', in his case because he's no longer alive.

I found that episode particularly frustrating, because I think Adomian was actually trying to do something nice and heartfelt in tribute to Huell, but Jeff Garlin stepped all over it.

Jeff Garlin stepping over jokes? I've never heard of such thing!

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #742 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »
But the ads are unbearable, and it is very shouty in general.

I always laugh at "B.E.N.O.B.O.S.-dotCOM!" That's the most awkward jingle in true Aukerman fashion.

This morning I heard two seconds of Andrew Lloyd Webber and I was out. I did listen to and enjoy both parts of Analyze Fish.

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #743 on: February 27, 2013, 07:30:43 AM »
There is literally a podcast about defecation.

http://doodiecallswithdougmand.libsyn.com/

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #744 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »

Yeah, I actually found it somewhat sweet and kind of moving. It's shows lie that where I wish they could just say "screw the rules of improv. We're gonna stop the tape, tell Garlin to shut up for 2 minutes and let James do what he wants to do."

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #745 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:13 PM »

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #746 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »
We're gonna stop the tape, tell Garlin to shut up for 2 minutes and let James do what he wants to do."
Yeah - I'm bemused by the fact that Tom has walked back his dislike of Jeff Garlin at just about the same time as my dislike of him has intensified. The way he lectured Aukerman about what's funny and what's not was just excruciating. He's reliably horrible on Doug Loves Movies, too.

Crusherkc

« Reply #747 on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
We're gonna stop the tape, tell Garlin to shut up for 2 minutes and let James do what he wants to do."
Yeah - I'm bemused by the fact that Tom has walked back his dislike of Jeff Garlin at just about the same time as my dislike of him has intensified. The way he lectured Aukerman about what's funny and what's not was just excruciating. He's reliably horrible on Doug Loves Movies, too.

If I may pile on some more, I still think Scott Aukerman is great and I'll usually give CBB a running chance.  I even think his ads are hilarious and fit the tone of the show ("...and I'll see YOU at the MOVIES!").  But when Jeff Garlin, Jason Mantzoukas, and Harris Whittels are guests I hit 'move to trash' no matter who else is there. But it's sad that overall the show is evolving (devolving?) into something routine and show-biz-y. I don't understand the love that Garlin gets out in LA podcast land (and throw in Adam Corolla into the equation as well).
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #748 on: February 28, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
Talking shit about powerful people in L.A. is not only bad for your career, it's universally frowned upon, whereas in NJ and NY it receives its proper respect as an art form.

Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #749 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
Since this is kind of taking that kind of turn, I have to say I actually never liked the PFTKast. He is a talented standup comedian, but somehow while Julie Klausner and Tom manage to do well with the extended improvised radio monologues, his never really seemed to work, and would get annoying at times. People joke about skipping the first 10 minutes of Maron's show, but I actually like it when he checks in, so I don't have anything against that technique, it's just a question of what you do with it.