Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650430 times)

bananagrabbers

• Policemans heel
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #795 on: June 02, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
My favorite moments on the Garlin podcast:

1.  When he and Michael Moore talk about their favorite movies of the year, and they're talking up Hugo and Midnight in Paris.

2.  When Mitch Hurwitz jokes about their conversation being released as a podcast, and Garlin assuring him the one thing it won't be is a podcast.

What was this guy doing?  Shopping these recordings around so he might get a box set or something?

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #796 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
Nothing makes me laugh but I acciently clicked on Pappy's Bangers and Mash #pbam.

I'd always avoided it because I thought it might of had Australians in it.

But it doesn't.

I had to stop listening this morning walking into work as I was doing too many of those 'out loud laughs' you so often read about these days.  I'm sure they'll have been mentioned before but thanks to the wonders of the intornets you can start at epsiode 1 and work your way through. 

I also used to love Ben and Joey.  The School Bus episode had me roaring with laughter too.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box'.  I just wish that once in a while you'd have a rummage around inside it.

@tonycoffey

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #797 on: June 04, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
It's called Comedy Bang Bang because it's the sound of laughter being murdered.

Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #798 on: June 04, 2013, 11:38:37 PM »
I still like CBB sometimes but the only thing about it that's truly consistent is knowing that the vast majority of episodes will be dominated by PFT lustily and raspily laughing at his own jokes before delivering them.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #799 on: June 05, 2013, 12:35:03 AM »
I still like CBB sometimes but the only thing about it that's truly consistent is knowing that the vast majority of episodes will be dominated by PFT lustily and raspily laughing at his own jokes before delivering them.

I like CBB, but the general trend of doing sequels to popular episodes is wearing on me. These shows are mostly improvised and the thing about improv is that lightning doesn't strike twice and getting the same people playing the same characters is no guarantee that it will lead to greatness twice. Continuity isn't necessary for this kind of show. And a few months off would do PFT some good. He overexposes himself. I get excited when I see Andy Daly is on, but when PFT is on it's just... again? which I don't think is good for anyone.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #800 on: June 05, 2013, 12:43:16 AM »
Good point.

I was wondering if you guys had seen Jenny Slate on many podcasts? I used to see her and Gabe every week at the Big Terrific in Brooklyn and she was incredible and funny. I hadn't seen her pop up in places I'd expect like CBB or How Was Your Week.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #801 on: June 05, 2013, 06:40:40 AM »
Good point.

I was wondering if you guys had seen Jenny Slate on many podcasts? I used to see her and Gabe every week at the Big Terrific in Brooklyn and she was incredible and funny. I hadn't seen her pop up in places I'd expect like CBB or How Was Your Week.

She recently appeared on Put Your Hands Together.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #802 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:51 AM »
And she was great on Kroll Show.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #803 on: June 05, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
bought the first season of Never Not Funny.  I think I'll be working my way through these seasons now.  It's enjoyable.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #804 on: June 10, 2013, 03:17:05 AM »
I have another suggestion for the thread.  I hope this one hasn't been mentioned before, Movie Geeks United.  If you are like me you haven't had much luck finding a good movie related podcast.  I was blown away by this one.  I highly recommend listening to their Kubrick Series episodes not the uncut ones as they are just the raw interviews, listen to those later if you so wish.  There is a wealth of content that I haven't even cracked yet, every episode is available for free.  Also this may be the only podcast that never mentions a sponsor or asks for donations.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #805 on: June 11, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
Why does Jeff Garlin a) hate everything b) think "big bowl of..." is charming?

If you think his use of "Big bowl of..." is grating, do not listen to the Tig Notaro episode. He says it at least 5 times, and he does it such a way that it feels shoehorned in, like it's something he's checking off a list.

My actual attempt to listen to that episode.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #806 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
I've been really enjoying The Fogelnest Files lately.  Ep. 36 w/Andy Kindler and Gary tha Squirrel and Ep. 28 w/Rodney Ascher brought me to the show. Based on his Best Show appearances I thought he'd be too talkative like a Pete Holmes or a Jeff Garlin but he's actually engaging with his guests and sounds like a really nice and cool guy.  And a great curator of old pop culture detritus on the youtube.  My favorite episode is #20 w/Rachel Lichtman with talk of the "Sprout of a New Generation" fan art of Paul McCartney from "The Compleat Beatles".  I've listened to them all except for the one with Eddie Pepitone in a span of 2 weeks. 

ps I listened to the one with Eddie Peppitone and it 's great.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #807 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
My actual attempt to listen to that episode.
There is nothing that could make me listen to a conversation between those two people.

Despite my chiming in with the "give it a rest on the characters, PFT" sentiment earlier in the thread, I just listened to the run of 5 episodes of Doug Loves Movies featuring Werner Herzog, and I thought it was hilarious and delightful.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
I Seem Fun: The Diary of Jen Kirkman Podcast
« Reply #808 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
I woke up at 4am and couldn't sleep so I listened to two hours of Jen Kirkman's new podcast. She gets defensive a lot about criticism she's anticipating, that gets old, otherwise it's great.

http://jenkirkman.com/i-seem-fun

I don't recommend listening to any podcast at 4am when you can't sleep. She's been a voice in my head all day. That's her deal, not mine.

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #809 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:32 AM »
I've uncovered a wee gem.

If you like random nonsense, swearing and laughing then you'll love POTOm

Available from all the usual sources.

I agree with the comments above about WTF.  I like the show but it's been relagated to 'emergency use only'.  The constant podcast-go-round parade is a bit tiresome after a while and is starting to resemble the Saturday Night Chat Show circuit.  'Who's got something to plug' rather than 'who's interesting.'

What d'ya want for free eh?

So, err yes POTOm.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box'.  I just wish that once in a while you'd have a rummage around inside it.

@tonycoffey