Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650509 times)

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #825 on: July 11, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
The most recent of Stop Podcasting Yourself is worth a listen. The two hosts and the guest (indie pro wrestler Colt Cabana) discuss a shooting that they were involved in, which occurred after a comedy show they were all at. They also talk about wrestling a lot.

http://maximumfun.org/stop-podcasting-yourself/stop-podcasting-yourself-281-colt-cabana

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #826 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
I still enjoy Doug Loves Movies, although I could do without the mini eps.

Me too. I find the actual shows reliably entertaining, but I never listen to the other material he puts on his feed.

+1
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #827 on: July 12, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
I agree with the comments above about WTF.  I like the show but it's been relagated to 'emergency use only'.  The constant podcast-go-round parade is a bit tiresome after a while and is starting to resemble the Saturday Night Chat Show circuit.  'Who's got something to plug' rather than 'who's interesting.'

Agreed, though I'll listen if the guest is someone I like. I started checking out once it became a lot more heavy on musicians, and I think it's impossible to keep up with 2 episodes a week if you have other stuff you want to listen to as well.

I see it hasn't been mentioned much on here, except for a few negative comments in 2010, but I really enjoy Uhh Yeah Dude.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
I'll listen if the guest is someone I like. I started checking out once it became a lot more heavy on musicians, .
Once the music talk increased, I started checking it out more often.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #829 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
I have one caveat on DLM: I cannot stand Pete Holmes as a guest.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #830 on: July 17, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »
I also find Pete Holmes irritating. He's not really what I would call a "funny person", at least not a developed or natural one, he's just loud and makes puns. And any success he's had beyond his comedic abilities, I suspect, can be attributed to his charming Buck Owens-esque appearance.

The latest episode of Call Chelsea Peretti, with guest Richard Marx, is good.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #831 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Pete Holmes' laugh makes me want to rip at my flesh with my fingernails.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #832 on: July 17, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »
I don't find Pete Holmes funny, per se, but I do kind of like how desperate he seems. There's something almost Rob Schneider-esque about his pathetic desire to entertain AT ANY COST. But the fact that he got his own tv show is utterly baffling.

I'll take him over Jeff Garlin on DLM any day.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #833 on: July 17, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
No more Am I Right.

It's a sick, sad world.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #834 on: July 17, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
If you haven't already checked it out, Stop Podcasting Yourself could be a good substitute, Dave.

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #835 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Roderick on the Line- John Roderick (from indie rock also-rans The Long Winters) and Merlin Mann (supernerd) have fascinating conversations. It's simple but it works.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #836 on: July 20, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Skip through the  "humor"  portions for the songs in Wits episode 26 with Kelly Hogan and Neko Case. They conveniently provide the timestamps on the website.

http://www.witsradio.org/episodes/twenty-six/

"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #837 on: July 20, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
Those quotes weren't big enough to describe what they do on Wits, Josh.

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #838 on: July 29, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
Hello all.

My 10-year-old daughter is infatuated with NPR's Ask Me Another.  http://www.npr.org/programs/ask-me-another/ If you are unaware,  it is a pop-culture, word puzzle quiz show.

Can anyone recommend something in this vein or if not, something 10 y.o. daughter-appropriate and enjoyable?

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #839 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
Andy Kindler will only be appearing on 118 of the 119 L.A. Podcasts now, as he's angry with Down-home Goebbels. Well, 114 of the 119 as Corrolo's high school buddy, car mechanic, "newsgirl" and audio engineer all have their own fascinating podcasts.