Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650475 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #885 on: September 19, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
I have to agree on Bill Burr. As a comedian, I think he's fantastic, at the top of his game. The podcast has some great moments (specific examples coming to mind: a lot of irreverent stuff inspired by a Catholic background Burr and I share and a story about some guy freaking out on a plane to Indianapolis b/c Burr wasn't interested in talking to him) but I kind of tune out with the sports talk since it's not something I'm particularly knowledgable about.

And yeah, very underproduced. I think I may check out the Dollar Shave Club, though...

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #886 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Lately I have listened to a bunch of episodes of the Flop House. It's more or less another entry in the "three guys riffing" category, but I like how nerdy it is. The hosts are kind of eggheads, who have actually read some books, and that makes for a refreshing contrast from the L.A. podcast crew. They go really deep with obscure movie and Marvel comics references, which is OK by me.

I have also listened to a lot of Bill Burr's podcast. I like him a lot, and the podcast is often very funny. But man, is it unproduced. And too much sports talk! The reads that he does for his promo spots are so bad, I almost can't believe that his sponsors put up with it. Same with Doug Benson: it sounds like he records his in a rental car (and he probably does).

Some of Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies podcasts ARE recorded in a rental car and they are titled appropriately "Rental Car XVII," etc. I skip those.

The ones that he does in theaters with a celebrity panel can be pretty funny, esp. if the panel is good. (I think Tom did at least one.) However once in a blue moon, Doug is a little too inebriated/high, and then the show suffers.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #887 on: September 19, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »

Some of Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies podcasts ARE recorded in a rental car and they are titled appropriately "Rental Car XVII," etc. I skip those.

The ones that he does in theaters with a celebrity panel can be pretty funny, esp. if the panel is good. (I think Tom did at least one.) However once in a blue moon, Doug is a little too inebriated/high, and then the show suffers.

Doug recently decided to separate out the "mini-eps" into a different podcast feed, so that would weed out the rental car stuff. I agree that the theater shows and the UCB shows are usually a good bet ... except when he has on some of his obnoxious yelly buddies (Jeff Garlin, TJ Miller, Graham Elwood, and, worst of all, Pete Holmes).

Recently, there was a strange trainwreck DLM show where Harry Dean Stanton was the guest of honor. Harry Dean is 87 years old and can't remember a lot of the movies he's made. On Doug's show, the rest of the panel tried to explain twitter to HDS. I can't say I really "recommend" that episode ... but it's a curiosity, let's say.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #888 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »
There was a long-running show on CBC Radio called Finkleman's 45s that I used to love. Danny Finkleman would play oldies on vinyl, and then tell stories (mostly complaints) about things that had happened to him. In a lot of ways it was like the Best Show. It was cancelled years ago because the CBC is determined to exterminate anything that has character.

BUT! Danny Finkleman has started an online show. Not a podcast - it's only available as a streaming show, because of music rights, I assume. Worth a listen for people who like to listen to cranky men spin yarns between spinning records.

http://thedannyfinklemanshow.com/

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #889 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »

Doug recently decided to separate out the "mini-eps" into a different podcast feed, so that would weed out the rental car stuff. I agree that the theater shows and the UCB shows are usually a good bet ... except when he has on some of his obnoxious yelly buddies (Jeff Garlin, TJ Miller, Graham Elwood, and, worst of all, Pete Holmes).

Recently, there was a strange trainwreck DLM show where Harry Dean Stanton was the guest of honor. Harry Dean is 87 years old and can't remember a lot of the movies he's made. On Doug's show, the rest of the panel tried to explain twitter to HDS. I can't say I really "recommend" that episode ... but it's a curiosity, let's say.

As of now, I think the HDS episode is the last Doug Loves Movies I listened to.  I don't know if I'll pick it up again.  I listened to 3 or 4 in an extended jag one day when I had to paint a bunch of floors in a shitty old building, which is the perfect scenario for listening to that show.  I think the show is at its worst when there's a young indie director on who's trying really hard to be cool and funny.  Or when Harry Dean Stanton is on.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

lastplaneout

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #890 on: November 05, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
The Fogelnest Files has been on a roll lately. The new episode with Don Bolles (of The Germs) might be even more insane and awesome the interview with Kim Fowley a few weeks ago. I suspect that he is making up half of what he says, but I really don't even care.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #891 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:24 AM »
I listened to the first half of the new Analyze Phish this morning while walking my dog. Tom is the guest! He is great!

That band... oh, man. Every musical selection Wittels played cause me to laugh uncontrollably in disbelief at some point. I can't even put into words how hideous they are. But that's why we have Tom.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #892 on: November 18, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
I have to agree on Bill Burr. As a comedian, I think he's fantastic, at the top of his game. The podcast has some great moments (specific examples coming to mind: a lot of irreverent stuff inspired by a Catholic background Burr and I share and a story about some guy freaking out on a plane to Indianapolis b/c Burr wasn't interested in talking to him) but I kind of tune out with the sports talk since it's not something I'm particularly knowledgable about.

And yeah, very underproduced. I think I may check out the Dollar Shave Club, though...

Is Joe Derosa ever on his podcast?  I liked the show Uninformed they did for XM several years ago, there all over Youtube.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #893 on: November 19, 2013, 12:13:04 AM »
I listened to the first half of the new Analyze Phish this morning while walking my dog. Tom is the guest! He is great!

That band... oh, man. Every musical selection Wittels played cause me to laugh uncontrollably in disbelief at some point. I can't even put into words how hideous they are. But that's why we have Tom.

Harris Wittels sounds like Zilch from Shit Hamine's soul brother= not funny, weenie voice, talks over people, shit taste in music.  Goo Balls.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #894 on: November 19, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

Does Aukerman do his usual anticomedy black hole routine on this one? Or does Tom get to be interesting and funny?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #895 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »
Harris Wittels sounds like Zilch from Shit Hamine's soul brother= not funny, weenie voice, talks over people, shit taste in music.  Goo Balls.

I think Wittels is really funny, but yeah, horrible taste in music.

Does Aukerman do his usual anticomedy black hole routine on this one? Or does Tom get to be interesting and funny?

Aukerman's not on it. It's just Tom and Wittels (and excruciating musical selections from Phish's catalog.)

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #896 on: November 19, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »

I think Wittels is really funny, but yeah, horrible taste in music.

Aukerman's not on it. It's just Tom and Wittels (and excruciating musical selections from Phish's catalog.)

Yep, we're safe. Scott was out somewhere else being horrible so you're free to listen without NPR-levels of suicide restraint.

I'm normally with you, Crusher, but I have to agree with Bryan. Harris has shown potential to be great.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #897 on: November 19, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »
This Week in Blackness is pretty good. Funny, informative, alternative, engaged, independent. Oh yeah, and black.

http://thisweekinblackness.com/

Master feed for all of their podcasts: http://feeds.feedburner.com/master_twib
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #898 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »
Thanks for the improv4humans advice folks.  I am having a rare old chuckle to this.

I love a good chuckle me.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box'.  I just wish that once in a while you'd have a rummage around inside it.

@tonycoffey

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #899 on: November 19, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »
I always liked Harris Wittels OK when I still listened to CBB.

Maybe I'll give Analyze Phish a listen, at least the one w/ Tom.