Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650426 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #900 on: November 19, 2013, 11:35:16 AM »
I'm normally with you, Crusher, but I have to agree with Bryan. Harris has shown potential to be great.

Let me backtrack a bit, he's a very good tv comedy writer but I hate his man-child voice and his overall demeanor when he's on the LA Podcast circuit.  Like a misbehaving cat, I wish he were sprayed with water every time he stepped on Tom trying to articulate a juicy deconstruction of the awfulness of fish.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #901 on: November 19, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »
Maybe I'll give Analyze Phish a listen, at least the one w/ Tom.

I can't recommend the show in general, though I think it's a pretty inspired premise. Or at least it would be if it didn't involve listening to Phish. I can't overstate how horrible that band is. I'm just grateful that I've managed to avoid very much exposure to their music.

But the one with Tom is great!

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #902 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Maybe I'll give Analyze Phish a listen, at least the one w/ Tom.

I can't recommend the show in general, though I think it's a pretty inspired premise. Or at least it would be if it didn't involve listening to Phish. I can't overstate how horrible that band is. I'm just grateful that I've managed to avoid very much exposure to their music.

But the one with Tom is great!
This was an entertaining listen. It would be so much better if there were a version that had the actual music cut out of it. Tom talking about "Miles Davis and Special Sauce" and how the Phish fans were tarnishing the Knicks banners in Madison Square Garden was great.

ben buff

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #903 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »
Can anyone help with this one?  On one episode of Improv4Humans Matt Besser talks about one of his guest's podcasts.

He said it was something like 'Educating X' where X is the name of someone.  I got the feeling it was like where you're trying to explain every day stuff to someone who's had their memory wiped.

It sounded funnier that it does how I've writ it.

For those of you who like being 'in at the start' then popular Irish comedian Sean Hughes has started podcasting (we all do at some point).  It's called Off the Radar and I thoroughly endorse it.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box'.  I just wish that once in a while you'd have a rummage around inside it.

@tonycoffey

Crusherkc

« Reply #904 on: December 14, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
Check out the bonus episode of The Fogelnest Files: a tribute to the Best Show w/guest Daniel Ralston.  Getcha hogie in ya?
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #905 on: December 20, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Stumbled across the Steven Brody Stevens podcast by way of josh fadem.  Seems like he has a pretty good little show, though he seems bonkers.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #906 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
A little of Brody goes a LONG way for me. I can't take too much of him.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #907 on: January 20, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
I'm torn about Judge John Hodgman. Hodgman is always great, but the guests/complainants are usually incredibly obnoxious, precious and self-satisfied. Maybe it's the Maximum Fun demo? Or maybe it's just people in general - Best Show callers could be like that too, often enough. The recent episode 'Namer vs. Namer' is a great example of this. The couple have a ridiculous non-conflict that could be settled by common sense, but the husband (yes, usually the husband is the culprit) has some idiotic 'wacky' ideas that he's trying to force on his wife.

BUT despite that, Hodgman is funny, wise and humane. No matter how petty or twee the case is, Hodgman always finds a way to deliver a thoughtful and perceptive ruling. But boy, it can be a bit of a slog to get to the good stuff.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #908 on: January 20, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Maybe it's the Maximum Fun demo

Also, probably tough to find people with legit beefs who are willing to air it out in public and are able to keep it light. IMO conflict in a relationship should be bottled up and meted out with passive aggression anyway.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

not that clay

« Reply #909 on: January 21, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »
I'm torn about Judge John Hodgman. Hodgman is always great, but the guests/complainants are usually incredibly obnoxious, precious and self-satisfied. Maybe it's the Maximum Fun demo? Or maybe it's just people in general - Best Show callers could be like that too, often enough. The recent episode 'Namer vs. Namer' is a great example of this. The couple have a ridiculous non-conflict that could be settled by common sense, but the husband (yes, usually the husband is the culprit) has some idiotic 'wacky' ideas that he's trying to force on his wife.

BUT despite that, Hodgman is funny, wise and humane. No matter how petty or twee the case is, Hodgman always finds a way to deliver a thoughtful and perceptive ruling. But boy, it can be a bit of a slog to get to the good stuff.

I listened to the first eight or so. I got tired of the callers too.

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #910 on: January 21, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
I find the garbage human beings and Hodgman's mocking of them to be part of the show's charm, especially because they usually don't realize they're being mocked. But maybe I just have the patience for that sort of thing.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #911 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »
IMO conflict in a relationship should be bottled up and meted out with passive aggression anyway.

That's how I do it too!

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #912 on: January 31, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
I have been listening to Worst Gig Ever a lot lately. 
Lots of 90's musicians and comedians and what have you, some really crazy stories.
http://worstgigeverpodcast.tumblr.com/
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #913 on: February 12, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
Harris Wittels sounds like Zilch from Shit Hamine's soul brother= not funny, weenie voice, talks over people, shit taste in music.  Goo Balls.

I think Wittels is really funny, but yeah, horrible taste in music.

Does Aukerman do his usual anticomedy black hole routine on this one? Or does Tom get to be interesting and funny?

Aukerman's not on it. It's just Tom and Wittels (and excruciating musical selections from Phish's catalog.)

Yep, we're safe. Scott was out somewhere else being horrible so you're free to listen without NPR-levels of suicide restraint.

I'm normally with you, Crusher, but I have to agree with Bryan. Harris has shown potential to be great.

Weighing in on this months later: Wittles on WTF was a snooze.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #914 on: February 12, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »
I think that as a rule, anyone under about 35 is pretty dull on WTF, no matter how talented they are. They just don't have the wisdom and lore that older people have. Jason Woliner was a notable recent exception and I'm sure there have been others.