Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650428 times)

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #990 on: May 09, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »
.....GG flames out on the show with Steve Buscemi which is regrettable b/c I never hear SB interviewed.

It was less "flame out" and more "universes in collision"; neither side truly comprehended the other.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #991 on: May 10, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
I've gone through all the Gilbert Gottfried Amazing Colossal Podcasts that I'm willing to listen to: skipping Penn Jillett, Bob Zmuda, Danny Bonaduce, and Marty Allen (b/c he's just been on WTF) and am sad there aren't more. 

I like his bingo card categories -- did he mention the Paul Lynde joke? the Danny Thomas incident? Milton Berle vs Forrest Tucker? playing 'who's a Jew'? Lon Chaney Jr. in 'Of Mice And Men'? 'The Ghost of Frankenstein'? How anti-semetic Paul Lynde is? and how anti-semitic high-pitched voice Patton is? his impression of Old Groucho? 

My favorite episodes are Drew Friedman, Scott Alexander/Larry Karaszewski, Susie Essman, Billy West, Butch Patrick, Dave Atell and special mentions for batship nutso guests Gianni Russo (the guy who James Caan beats up in The Godfather who claims to be a real mob guy and had sex with Marilyn Monroe) and Danny Aiello (wonder why the jobs aren't rolling in for him?)

For the older guests he tones down the Afflack voice and the celebrity roast jokes which is endearing.  GG flames out on the show with Steve Buscemi which is regrettable b/c I never hear SB interviewed.

He talks about this in the Lewis Black episode I think and it's just as awful as he describes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJzrpdcKCg

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #992 on: May 10, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
He talks about this in the Lewis Black episode I think and it's just as awful as he describes it.

"Ah had allotta milkshakes in mah life but dat's da best milkshake ah've eva h-h-had [then Lou Costello dies]"

Buddy Hackett/Lou Costello death scene is on the GG bingo card
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #993 on: May 11, 2015, 12:07:56 AM »

"Ah had allotta milkshakes in mah life but dat's da best milkshake ah've eva h-h-had [then Lou Costello dies]"

Yeah, I should look that one up too. Part of me was hoping the whole thing was an inside joke because it sounded so bad.

And apparently this week Gilbert interviews Mike Nesmith which should be good.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #994 on: May 11, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
Scharpling and Wurster on today's Maron!

fidget

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #995 on: May 11, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »
I've been listening to 'Until I Loose Interest' lately and I'm beginning to like it a lot.  The host is a chemist turned comedian or something and he talks with people who went through terrible life events (mostly up and coming comedians). 

This week was Adam Egret, and he talks about reform/cult/boarding school he was forced to go to when he was 13 years old.  You might know Adam from the old Norm MacDonald show.

Interesting subject matter.  Gets really dark sometimes.

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #996 on: May 13, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
Had to fast forward through the monologue before S&W on "Maron." His TV show is alright, but man everytime I try to play a single episode of his podcast, I have to shut it off ASAP.

Also, late pass: BULLSEYE is great and Jesse Thorn is the interview I always want Terry Gross to be. Sometimes he derails JUDGE JOHN HODGMAN a lot but good shit. So late on it.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #997 on: May 30, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »

Yeah, I should look that one up too. Part of me was hoping the whole thing was an inside joke because it sounded so bad.

And apparently this week Gilbert interviews Mike Nesmith which should be good.

It was a fun interview, but I wish they talked about Nesmith's music after The Monkees. There are stories about the making of The Wichita Train Whistle Sings that I would love to hear confirmed or disproven (Did they actually have the Wrecking Crew on the weekend so they would be paid time and a half? Were people loaded while performing? Did Nesmith ever write lyrics for "Don't Cry Now"?) I know it sounds bizarre asking about an album that Videoranch doesn't even sell as a physical CD anymore (only downloads), but I like the oddities.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #998 on: May 30, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »
I had never heard of the Wrecking Crew until yesterday - now that's twice in two days. Their time in the sun, I guess.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #999 on: May 30, 2015, 09:10:59 PM »
I had never heard of the Wrecking Crew until yesterday - now that's twice in two days. Their time in the sun, I guess.
You've definitely heard them.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1000 on: May 31, 2015, 02:54:32 AM »

A group of studio and session musicians..... no, scratch that, THE Los Angeles-based studio and session musicians group of the 1960s and 1970s. Sometimes billed as "The Phil Spector Wall of Sound Orchestra", they gave us drummer Hal Blaine, bass guitarist Carol Kaye, guitarist Tommy Tedesco, scads of other people. They played everything from film scores, to ad jingles, to session work for Nat King Cole, Brian Wilson, and a long list of others. Glenn Campbell came out of the Wrecking Crew, as did Leon Russell and Dr. John.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1001 on: May 31, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »
Yeah, I said I hadn't heard of them until the day before I wrote that, you know, when I read the article about the movie about them that's coming out and that a lot of people are talking about.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1002 on: May 31, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »
Yeah, I said I hadn't heard of them until the day before I wrote that, you know, when I read the article about the movie about them that's coming out and that a lot of people are talking about.
So, you've got the idea then?

Check out the "Love" songs.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1003 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »
Oh yeah? Why don't *you* check *this* out?

John Stewart - Gold (1979)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1004 on: May 31, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »

A group of studio and session musicians..... no, scratch that, THE Los Angeles-based studio and session musicians group of the 1960s and 1970s. Sometimes billed as "The Phil Spector Wall of Sound Orchestra", they gave us drummer Hal Blaine, bass guitarist Carol Kaye, guitarist Tommy Tedesco, scads of other people. They played everything from film scores, to ad jingles, to session work for Nat King Cole, Brian Wilson, and a long list of others. Glenn Campbell came out of the Wrecking Crew, as did Leon Russell and Dr. John.

As did Dr. Dre.