Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650503 times)

Kurz

• Policemans heel
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #1005 on: June 01, 2015, 04:56:04 AM »
The only one of them with World Class.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1006 on: June 01, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »
I had never heard of the Wrecking Crew until yesterday - now that's twice in two days. Their time in the sun, I guess.

A group of studio and session musicians..... no, scratch that, THE Los Angeles-based studio and session musicians group of the 1960s and 1970s. Sometimes billed as "The Phil Spector Wall of Sound Orchestra", they gave us drummer Hal Blaine, bass guitarist Carol Kaye, guitarist Tommy Tedesco, scads of other people. They played everything from film scores, to ad jingles, to session work for Nat King Cole, Brian Wilson, and a long list of others. Glenn Campbell came out of the Wrecking Crew, as did Leon Russell and Dr. John.

As did Dr. Dre.

Sorry, wrong Wrecking Crew.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1007 on: June 08, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
Mike Watt on Maron this Thursday. 

puffskull

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1008 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »
I'm listening to the Obama episode of Maron right now... Only ten minutes in, but I'm impressed by how personable and direct he seems in conversation. Likeable even. Seeing as in Australia we currently have a leader who is completely unrelatable, seems to have no emotional intelligence and pretty much acts like a malfunctioning robot, its nice to hear.

I'm very curious to know what y'all American FOTs made of the interview?

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1009 on: June 24, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »
Personally, I thought it was a great interview. Maron really made the most of an opportunity to get out of the guest's way (which he sometimes has an issue with when he's interviewing a fellow comedian) and just let them talk. Plus, it was nice to not hear Obama just deflect for an hour. He gave quite a few honest and candid answers that you probably wouldn't hear on a network TV interview.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1010 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
I hope Eggs gets his 7-minute show with Jim Florentine.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1011 on: July 09, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
I've been listening to Human Conversation With Erin McGathy and Wayne Federman, a Feral Audio podcast.  It's a weekly podcast which features a free-flowing conversation between two interesting and funny people who can converse.  Includes anecdotes about Sean Penn crushing Wayne at a Q & A of Into the Wild, fishing stories with Erin and her father, what makes good fireworks, movie-talk, going to Neutral Milk Hotel's last tour, how non-hot Jellyfish was, how going to bookstores is a good way to test people's 'thirst for knowledge', etc.  There is no agenda.  I've always liked Wayne Federman as a guest on other podcast and Erin McGathy is the best thing about Harmontown.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1012 on: July 09, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
Also Matt Gourley and Mark McConville's coverage of a Los Angeles Municipal Recreational Women's basketball team on Pistol Shrimps Radio. They know nothing of basketball, give individual names for each point the Pistol Shrimps score, and heap praise on Dire Straits.  Sometimes Tig Notaro stops by the boys' table to say 'hey'.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1013 on: August 05, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
Is anyone listening to Starlee Kine's podcast Mystery Show? Obviously it's all a bit This American Life, but has a fun, tongue-in-cheek premise of solving a different mystery each week.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1014 on: August 07, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »
Drunk Ex Pastors

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1015 on: August 08, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
Is anyone listening to Starlee Kine's podcast Mystery Show? Obviously it's all a bit This American Life, but has a fun, tongue-in-cheek premise of solving a different mystery each week.
Yes. The Belt Buckle episode was a wonderful story.

EDIT: Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I did think it odd that they never mentioned that the "David" in the Jake Gyllenhaal episode was actually David Rees (a guest of the WFMU Best Show).

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1016 on: August 08, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
I don't think they mentioned that Jonathan in the most recent lunchbox episode was Jonathan Goldstein of Wiretap either.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1017 on: August 18, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »
Today's a good day to suggest Paul Scheer's bad movie podcast How Did This Get Made, causing most of my painful belly laughs besides the Best Show.  The No Holds Barred or Jack Frost episodes are a great place to start, but really it's hard to go wrong anytime with Paul, June, and Jason.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1018 on: August 21, 2015, 11:14:14 PM »
I don't think they mentioned that Jonathan in the most recent lunchbox episode was Jonathan Goldstein of Wiretap either.

That episode annoyed me because I think Starlee stumbled across the answer earlier than she realized. It was totally the kind of rib wrestlers would have played on each other, especially 50 years ago.

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1019 on: August 23, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »
HOLLYWOOD HANDBOOK has won me over with the Julie Klausner and two Scharpling episodes. Both times the guests sound completely exasperated dealing with the idiocy.