Author Topic: Who is the Party Doctor?  (Read 5583 times)

theylive716

• Policemans heel
Re: Who is the Party Doctor?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
Just Farr a Laugh is great.  Andy needs to call in more often!

"you'll recognize me, i'll come in fubu head to toooe"
guess how much money is in my wallet?

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
Re: Who is the Party Doctor?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »
As an aside, I became pretty disillusioned once I started reading Earles' music column in Magnet and realized he basically is the Angry Mr. Bungle Fan for real, only replace "Mr. Bungle" with "late '80s/early '90s post-hardcore".
C'mon, that's a character he's doing in The Magnet columns.

I am accustomed to all the faux-meta-pseudo-parodic irony in post-blog music journalism (i.e. Hipster Runoff) so if Earles is actually making fun of indie snobbery and secretly thinks people should not actually be considered brainless cretins for liking M.I.A. and LCD Soundsystem, then I applaud his whole rockcrit Kaufman routine. I do think it would be pretty hard to be that arrogant and self-satisfied about music all the time in real life. God knows I've tried.

I WAS (didn't try) for years - I tired of it and tired of people, you know, not wanting to talk to me anymore because I was like that. Jesus! There's a fine line between having a refined, good taste and having everyone fucking HATE listening to you bitterly babble on about some obscure band they don't care about's genius and thoroughly pick apart their favorite band.

Secretly, I'm still that person, of course. I just learned the phrase "Oh, yeah ... I've heard of them. Uh .... not my thing but that's cool you like them."

It still hurts every time I say it. But .. you know ... I have friends now.

it's a character

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWGO9ee_IRI[/youtube]
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.