Author Topic: What episodes of the Archive are people listening to?  (Read 20718 times)

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What episodes of the Archive are people listening to?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:37 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and decided to work my way forward, after skipping around for a while. Listening to Yanks v. Mets from 2000 (which is bringing back some ugly memories from that time).

Quick question: This is the earliest one available on the archives, but it's not the first Best Show, right? Because Hot Rockin Ronnie makes an appearance, as does PBR. Just curious, because I'm a weird completist about stuff I dig (and The Best Show is no exception).
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
My three biggest requests about the archive are:

1.  Do the pre-archive shows exist in any format?  Surely our resident tech FOTs could put together MP3s from wax cylinders or whatever. 

The pre-archive shows contain at LEAST one Hot Rockin' Ronny call and one Todd Phillips call.

2.  Can we put up the un-archived shows minus the Stereolaffs material?  This seems like the type of thing that one of the audio program experts could do in an hour or two.

3.  Could we somehow make available the unedited versions of the early Stereolaffs stuff?  Make people prove they've bought the CDs in order to get them, whatever.  One of the early shows has some "lost material" from the Gorch call, and it's hilarious.

The issue, I think, is that only Tom has this stuff, and he's clearly got a lot to do with focusing on what's going on now and the show at present.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Alvaro from GM

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »

1.  Do the pre-archive shows exist in any format?  Surely our resident tech FOTs could put together MP3s from wax cylinders or whatever. 

The pre-archive shows contain at LEAST one Hot Rockin' Ronny call and one Todd Phillips call.

2.  Can we put up the un-archived shows minus the Stereolaffs material?  This seems like the type of thing that one of the audio program experts could do in an hour or two.

3.  Could we somehow make available the unedited versions of the early Stereolaffs stuff?  Make people prove they've bought the CDs in order to get them, whatever.  One of the early shows has some "lost material" from the Gorch call, and it's hilarious.

The issue, I think, is that only Tom has this stuff, and he's clearly got a lot to do with focusing on what's going on now and the show at present.

This is a great summary of my feelings buffcoat.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 11:14:13 PM »

I second (or third) all of that. And concur that I'd rather not bug Tom about any of this stuff; just hoping that some wise FOT out there can enlighten us.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 06:52:52 AM »

I second (or third) all of that. And concur that I'd rather not bug Tom about any of this stuff; just hoping that some wise FOT out there can enlighten us.

If any of buffcoat's suggestions are a possibility, I hereby volunteer my services to assist with the converting of said shows into a useful digital format.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

snailed

• Policemans heel
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
yeah, i do some audio editing too.  if needed, i can help. 

Alvaro from GM

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 11:32:24 PM »
I'm currently listening to August 24th, 2004 now.  There's an interview with Bernie Cullin the author of some book about being lazy and Tom is doing a morning zoo type voice.  He keeps doing this ridiculous fake laugh and getting racist emails.  Good stuff.

ShawnFromUtah

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 02:26:19 AM »
This thread reminds me of every single patchouli-reeking, meandering, sub-literate Grateful Dead taper forum in the known universe and I don't like it.

I love it!
You can't make fun of the new guy. Maybe the Bad Brains can get away with it, I don't know.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Just been listening to Yankees Vs Mets myself, and the election 2000 show. Who are the guys in the studio on Y vs M? Are all those early shows 'just' comedy, with few/no callers or music? I'm surprised by the quality of these shows, given Tom's occasional disdain for them on air, and its a very daring format.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »
Just been listening to Yankees Vs Mets myself, and the election 2000 show. Who are the guys in the studio on Y vs M? Are all those early shows 'just' comedy, with few/no callers or music? I'm surprised by the quality of these shows, given Tom's occasional disdain for them on air, and its a very daring format.

As far as I can remember:

Mets fan is Jon Benjamin
Yankees fan is Matt Walsh

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »

Mets fan is Jon Benjamin

Thanks for that. 2 People I've heard of.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »

Mets fan is Jon Benjamin

Yes.  PBR and Hot Rockin' Ronny also call.

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »
Petey's birthday party with Wurster's Petey from the future.

There's also an episode with Jon Benjamin using a voice modulator and yelling at Petey.

Hoopstridomis with Benjamin as the prophet who predicts NBA games.

More recently, the Bernie Toupin call is part of a great show.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
Petey's birthday party with Wurster's Petey from the future.

There's also an episode with Jon Benjamin using a voice modulator and yelling at Petey.

Hoopstridomis with Benjamin as the prophet who predicts NBA games.

More recently, the Bernie Toupin call is part of a great show.

I think Hoopstradamus is Jon Glaser.

Alvaro from GM

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
This thread reminds me of every single patchouli-reeking, meandering, sub-literate Grateful Dead taper forum in the known universe and I don't like it.

I love it!

I've never been so embarrassed and humiliated. 

And yet, I must continue:

I'm listening to September 14, 2004's episode where he GOMPs a Rock Critic.  It's a good episode.  The one before it was the Medical Marijuana first jam.  Which was great too.