Author Topic: Interview with Tom - Airing Tonight on Am I Right??  (Read 44872 times)

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Interview with Tom - Airing Tonight on Am I Right??
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2010, 02:58:46 PM »
Hey Gang,

Just a quick note that I will keep mercifully short for everyone...

Our station, CJSW, is in the midst of our annual Funding Drive and TONIGHT is the big night for Am I Right?? - between 11 and midnight MST, we'll be hosting OUR special FUNDING DRIVE EDITION of Am I Right??

We've got some great, rapidfire guests lined up for the night, including Andy KINDLER! Kyle KINANE! Go SUPEREGO! Rory SCOVEL! Graham CLARK! Simon KING! 

This in addition to some great CJSW AND Am I Right?? swag - including T-Shirts for the show and the station AND a Funding Drive CD featuring original comedy developed by Jesse and myself. (60 for the CD and a CJSW T or 85 for the CD, CJSW T AND Am I Right?? T)

So, if any of you appreciate our work and have a few extra coins jingling in your podcast, CJSW would appreciate the support so that we can keep the place running for the year. Our overall goal is $200,000, to keep us in all equipment and tower fees that we need, along with a little put aside to upgrade us from 4000 W to 20000 W (so we can be heard world wide!)

Please - call 403-220-5000 if you can, between 11 and midnight to give us a hand and get some cool swag OR if you cannot, but are interested, please email me at amiright AT cjsw DOT com, and I will put you down for whatever you're willing to share!

Thanks so much everyone for listening!

Evan

PS. Tom if this is inappropriate, I understand if it gets removed.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
Just a head's up - we're in re-run season on Am I Right?? and tonight at 11 pm MST at cjsw.com, we're re-airing Tom's first appearance, dating back to March 2009. Tune in if you can or wait for the podcast later this week - www.cjsw.com/program/amiright!

This is a stone cold classic episode, including a discussion of One Week, which is not clouded by 4 loko. You CANNOT miss this.

www.cjsw.com - tonight, stream it!

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
Hi all - just a quick heads up... Jesse and I have been spending the past couple of months putting together a long form comic documentary - which sounds EXCITING I KNOW - about a topic that is sure to fascinate you all, which I can't get into here.

However, what I can get into is that Jon Wurster was a huge help to us with this, contributing a hilarious character that makes up the better part of about 10 minutes on the show. Outside of that, we have tons of hilarious other characters, including one voiced by Nick Flanagan, to make up the rest of this hour.

I'm proud of what we put together, and Jon is really hilarious in it, so I hope you will all check it out.

We're live to air at 11 pm MST on October 19 on CJSW FM in Calgary - or online at http://www.cjsw.com. Then we'll throw it to our podcast on Friday morning - http://www.cjsw.com/programs/amiright

Check it outs!

officer_gronski

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
Best documentary ever. To blow the lid off of the Wright Brothers conspiracy takes a lot of guts, and I'm glad it's finally been done. Spread the truth.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
I listened to this this morning.  Lots of really funny moments, made me laugh.  I'd love to hear more radio mockumentaries. 
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Thanks guys. We've been taking a lot of heat for just telling the truth on this I'm happy that people are responding to it. Those American Wrights are vicious.

Boogdish - here's another similar one we did: http://cjsw.com/program/amiright/april-wine-retrospective

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
That was great! "Space, there's nothing up there. That's why they don't call it full"

So did you guys write it? I was hoping for some credits at the end.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2011, 12:56:15 AM »
Hey thanks woodandiron - that's very nice of you!

I always wonder how to do credits for these things without breaking the "reality" of the show - the best I could come up with was listing everyone's names in the blog post and the id file on the podcast.

But, here's how we do these things, well, this and the April Wine one.  Jesse and I do a rough sketch of the character's we're looking for and, maybe, some very loose plotting. Then, when we nail down who plays each of the characters, we give them a couple of lines outlining who they are and their general points of view and maybe any important plot points they need to know for the thing to cut together in a way that makes sense.

Then, the day before we taped them, we give them a list of questions that we're going to ask their character, based on how we think they should fit into the story. Some people prepare a bit, others don't. (I almost prefer they don't, because I'm looking for spontaneity.) Using these questions as a guide, we record an interview. We're not necessarily wed to the questions, and when someone has come up with a particularly fun vein of answers, I'll make up and ask additional questions - this lets us stay spontaneous and have a bit of fun and really squeeze everything we can out of the interview. Seriously - these guys were all so great and funny it was a lot of fun seeing what we could come up with. I really like this way of doing it because it lets everyone bring something different to the table, and people can play to their own strengths and really make the thing their own.

From there, we edit down from like 8 or 9 hours of interviews to give you the show you just listened to. I'm really happy with it, and, like I said, it's all a credit to the cast because they're the ones that are pretty much just hanging their funny off just a clothesline that we hang.

Terrible metaphor.

Anyway, thanks for listening and thanks for the nice words!

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
Big news coming from Jesse and I at Am I Right?? - the comedy show I've been doing at CJSW in Calgary for the past couple of years - and I hope we can ask for a tiny favour from everyone! (There's always a catch.)

The show has been nominated for a Canadian Comedy Award, for Best Radio Program. Now, most of you probably have not heard of this award until just not, but trust me, it's like the Junos or the ESPYs for the Canadian comedy community. We've been selected by a panel of comedians and producers for the nomination and we're pretty proud that we're on the docket for this award, especially considering our competition - This is That and The Debaters on CBC, and Anything Goes, an XM Satellite Radio program.  Three shows with real staffs, full time positions, multiple writers and nation-wide coverage. Not bad for something that Jesse and I have been pulling together on our own, in our spare time - not without help from the CJSW community, of course.

Anyway, now that we've been nominated, we need to beat the other shows in a popularity contest to win the award. I think we have a chance at winning this award, especially if everyone could please take a second to vote for us. While we probably have a small fraction of the listenerships of all of those shows, I'm not sure their listeners are necessarily the type that are going to get out and vote. They have a lot of people listening, sure, but a lot of those listeners aren't as likely as you folks to have as much invested in the radio that they like and support.

So, what we're asking is that everyone could please take a few minutes to swing over tohttp://www.canadiancomedy.ca. Once there, please register as a public voter and vote for Am I Right?? in the category of Best Radio Show or Clip. And after that, please ask everyone you know to do the same! Ask your friends! Tell you partners, husbands, wives, children and roommates! It'll only take a minute or two, and then you can relax and know that you've done a good thing.

Voting closes the end of July, so there's a lot of time to start moving a bunch of votes! With your support, I think we can do this!

Either way, we'd really appreciate any support that you could give us - please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. You can check out the show at http://www.cjsw.com/programs/amiright or just look up "Am I Right??" on iTunes.

VOTE AT WWW.CANADIANCOMEDY.CA. Please! You won't regret it!

And look, even an endorsement from Tom! http://static.cjsw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tom-Scharpling-AIR-Endorsement-with-bed.mp3

Thanks!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
Voter registration for both public and industry voters is open year-round. Registration is open to all Canadians.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »
Voter registration for both public and industry voters is open year-round. Registration is open to all Canadians.

Great minds, my old friend.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
This kind of this is why Bryan Adams is a star, you know...