Author Topic: Bands That Should Have Guest Starred On TV Shows  (Read 3933 times)

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Bands That Should Have Guest Starred On TV Shows
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
So this might flame out and rightly die a quick death, but I do like recycling ideas from elsewhere and also not doing work at work. Think of this as a bastard child of the Movie Game and the Bands That Should Have Had Movies topics from the show, with an element of the rock 'n roll street fight thread.

Chad & Jeremy were on Batman, The Doobie Brothers on What's Happening!!: arguably peaks in the careers of both bands. What other missed opportunities were out there for bands to have shown up as special guest stars on TV shows? Not just as a showing up and playing a song somewhere in an episode, but actually as part of the plot of an episode. Degree of difficulty consideration: these guest appearances had to have been possible. That is, the band had to be around in that form when this theoretical show would have aired.

I may have just confused myself. An (entirely too long and too specific) example:

Show: The Cosby Show (Season 2)
Band: Prince & The Revolution

To handle an increased workload, Cliff temporarily shares his downstairs office space with a fellow obstetrician, Dr. Matt Fink. Claire invites Dr. Fink upstairs to have dinner with the Huxtables. He agrees, but has to leave before dessert because he has a prior committment that evening, rehearsal for his second job as the keyboard player for Prince & The Revolution.

Denise and Theo are beside themselves, and Dr. Fink - with Cliff's permission - arranges for the family to come see the band rehearse later that week. The Huxtables, minus Claire but with Theo's best friend Cockroach, show up just in time to hear the band finish a run through of "Mountains" from their new album Parade.

Cliff is a bit worried when the enigmatic Prince displays a keen interest in Denise, but he is impressed with Prince's taste in art when he sees the cover of the band's previous album, Around The World In A Day, which reminds him of the Ellis Wilson painting Claire recently bought at an auction.

The Huxtables return home, where Rudy and Vansessa fight over the purple beret Rudy was given by the band. Theo and Cockroach are somewhat disappointed by the fact that they tried putting their best moves on Wendy & Lisa to no avail, causing Cliff to laugh knowingly.

Note: On the day of filming, Prince would have decided to refuse to deliver any of the lines written for him. After a five-hour closed door negotiating session with Cosby, they would come to an agreement whereby Prince would communicate by a series of coy eye movements and by whispering into the ear of Revolution guitarist Miko Weaver, who then relayed all of Prince's dialogue to the Huxtables.

(I guess we could do this a few ways, either someone could throw out a show/band match-up for others to come up with a plot, or just provide your own description of missed opportunities for bands/musicians to have been TV guest stars.  Or this could be quietly and quickly forgotten. All valid approaches!)
This may be the year I will disappear.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Bands That Should Have Guest Starred On TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
If this were in a later season, how would Prince's role have tied into the situation in South Africa?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »

Note: On the day of filming, Prince would have decided to refuse to deliver any of the lines written for him.

This explains his movies.

That would have been an amazing episode, by the way.  Theo and Cockroach trying to hit on Wendy and Lisa would have been Cosby gold.
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:15:11 PM »
The Flamin' Groovies should've had their own Love, American Style segment.

I imagine they would have travelled back in time to hunt dinosaurs, but I haven't thought this through.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
I would have liked to see GWAR guest-star on an ALF episode where they both try to get back to their home planets, but there's a mix up and they go back to each other's planets. Then they realize how crummy outer space is compared to earth. They all come back to Alf's town and play a show together, with Alf playing drums. At the show, Willie gets super gacked and has to catch a cab home. It wouldn't be one of the better episodes.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
It wouldn't be one of the better episodes.

This is where cutout is wrong.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:45:55 PM »
I think Bleach-era Nirvana were on an episode of Family Matters.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:54:36 AM »
Who could forget TAD's guest appearance on Twin Peaks, when their van broke down near the woods and Windom Earle lured Tad Doyle to his cabin with promises of beer cold burritos.   It damn near killed Leo making a chess piece big enough to ensconce the corpse, and eventually the whole thing ended up crashing into the side of the Great Northern as they were airlifting it out of town. 

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:22:08 AM »
Pet Shop Boys - Small Wonder.