Author Topic: Theologicamol Questions  (Read 25836 times)

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Theologicamol Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
Ah I never thought anyone did it out of sheer curiosity. I thought they did it because Jesus celebrated it...

Maybe I didn't explain myself well.  The point is that while Jesus was a Jew, we are not, and it's condescending of us to to say that their traditions are really our traiditons, too.  And whenever someone tells me that they do something because Jesus did, I like to ask them what prostitutes they hang out with.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Pastor Josh

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
Yeah, that helps.  I read a fair amount of stuff at university that was straight-up critical of Christianity, and Saint Paul in particular, and I'd kind of like to get the opposite perspective.  So those are perfect recommendations.

Most of the stuf I recommended is critical of orthodox (note the lowercase "o") Christianity, except really the Gonzalez books, although Gonzalez does a good job of being unbaised.  Let me know what you think of them.
Who I don't have chocolate?

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »
what do you think of mythologists like joseph campbell who suggest that the characters and heroes of religious texts are carried down ancient fairy tales wrought with moral significance due to sometimes uncanny similarities in other religious figures biographies (jesus/horus et al)

I haven't read Campbell, but I think there's some truth to that.  Most ancient mythologies were trying to answer the same questions, so they invovle similar stories.  I don't think that the historical truth behind the stories are as important as the stories themselves and what they have to say to us, though.  Man, this is great.  It's like practicing for my ordination interview.

sounds like you'd like campbell. he's a pretty swell fellow.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
Ah I never thought anyone did it out of sheer curiosity. I thought they did it because Jesus celebrated it...

Maybe I didn't explain myself well.  The point is that while Jesus was a Jew, we are not,

But if Jesus was a jew, and you honor him as the messiah, then why not take on some of his customs as well? I guess I just never understood that.
from the land of pleasant living

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »

Maybe I didn't explain myself well.  The point is that while Jesus was a Jew, we are not,

But if Jesus was a jew, and you honor him as the messiah, then why not take on some of his customs as well? I guess I just never understood that.

if Jesus is the messiah he completed all the Jewish prophecies and none of that stuff counts for Christians, dietary laws etc.

The Jewish people should be proud their faith inspired a  couple of spinoffs: Christianity and Islam and those two spunoff a few of their own. So basically everywhere u go on planet earth is influenced either directly or indirectly from Jewish thought.

congrats.

Wes

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »
The guy who got his ear cut off by Peter, but then Jesus put the guy's ear back on - that guy has to be one of the best extras in The Bible, right? I wonder how soon after that happened people got sick of him telling that story whenever he got drunk.
This may be the year I will disappear.

hugman

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
have you ever seen the great movie YOU CAN COUNT ON ME?  It has the best, most realistic pastor character I've ever seen on film.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »

if Jesus is the messiah he completed all the Jewish prophecies and none of that stuff counts for Christians, dietary laws etc.

The Jewish people should be proud their faith inspired a  couple of spinoffs: Christianity and Islam and those two spunoff a few of their own. So basically everywhere u go on planet earth is influenced either directly or indirectly from Jewish thought.

congrats. Mazel tov.
from the land of pleasant living

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »
pastor josh did you see this nightline thing on satanism? they didnt interview a single satanist!

well in case you werent interviewed for this nightline episode, pastor josh, DOES SATAN EXIST?

that was the name of the segment.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
Pastor Josh, which do you prefer, the Old Testament or the New Testament?
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
regulator guy you should stand in for pastor josh until he gets back

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
I am a false prophet, Steve.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
WELL THEN THIS SHOULD BE EASY THEN, SHOULDNT IT.

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »
well i guess it's not.

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »
i just saw regulator guy and thought i should suggest that he fill in due to his tendency to lie and cheat. practically the king of lies. maybe a little lower ranking than king but still. thought maybe it'd offer the thread some diversity. sorry guys.