Author Topic: 2009 MLB Thread  (Read 85555 times)

hugman

Re: 2009 MLB Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
Redbirds will be scrapping their way to the middle with a piecemeal team, a completely unproven bullpen that one wouldn't think could be worse than last years until today, and a number of impact players with health question marks.

That must have been painful to watch. The look on Tony LaRussa's face when Jack Wilson hit that bases clearing double into the gap was priceless. The Cards bullpen reminds me of the Mets bullpen last year. They should have signed Brian Fuentes.

I tuned in to gameday on mlb.tv hoping to "watch" the bullpen get its first close.  I saw them catch up then got distracted then turned back and it was a bloodbath.  It'll get better.  Then worse.  etc.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 06:33:49 PM »
They thought Motte was going to be their closer because he has a "closer mentality". They forgot that he only has one pitch and he's not Mariano Rivera. They'll be ok again once they call Chris Perez up.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
Motte might be better suited to be a setup man. Perez is probably their long term answer at closer.

As an aside, I'm really interested to see how Colby Rasmus does this year. He could be as good as Jay Bruce.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
Yeah, but I don't get what they are doing with him. If he isn't going to play everyday in the bigs he should be playing everyday in the minors. I don't get why three different managers aren't keeping their top prospects on the bench (Dukes, Rasmus and Upton).

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »
Because players like Dukes, Rasmus, and Upton have already dominated every level of the minor leagues and have nothing left to prove. I imagine that Dukes and Rasmus will probably be starting everyday fairly soon. Austin Kearns is a holdover from the Jim Bowden era and is washed up. I would guess that Rasmus will eventually replace one of Ankiel, Duncan, or Ludwick. The Cards could probably trade one of their outfielders to get more starting pitching or bullpen help.

Plus for whatever reason, I think managers have a strong tendency to favor veterans over young players.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »
I hear you on Dukes and Upton but Rasmus would benefit more from playing everyday instead of watching major leaguers. I think the Nats are probably trying to showcase Kearns to trade him but I don't know how much that really works especially with veteran guys who have a track record. Managers who don't make room for talented prospects need to disappear. It sucks how many careers come to a standstill because a manager can't take a .260 hitter out of the lineup to give a young guy a chance.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
Although, it's too early to judge a player's entire season based on one game, I contend that the C.C. Sabathia signing was not a very good one for the Yankees. He seems like one of those guys that will crack under the pressure of playing in New York ala Jeff Weaver or Randy Johnson. Plus, that rotund frame he possesses is not conducive to long term success. They'll run him out of New York by year 3 of his contract.

I don't know why you wouldn't be excited about the Cubs. They're shaping up to be the best team in the National League.

Cubs broke my heart last year.  AND EVERY YEAR OF MY LIFE!  ARRGH!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »
I agree with you. However, I think managers favor the .260 hitter because they believe he will give the manager the best chance to win. As you know, young hitters tend to make more mistakes on the job than do veteran hitters. Unfortunately, I think it creates quite the conundrum for GM's. Is it better to keep an uber-prospect in the minors where they have already dominated or let that same player gain major league experience but play far less?

I don't know.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »
The Marlins can mash with the best of them. 8-0 over the Nats in the 7th. It looks like it will be a long year for the Nationals.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
Bad outing for C.M. Wang tonight. 9 H and 7 ER in 3.2 innings of work.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:06 PM »
[GO O's!]
from the land of pleasant living

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:51 PM »
I think they could surprise this year. I'm anxious to see how Matt Wieters does.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 10:09:48 PM »
They had better do something. Fuck the Yankees.
from the land of pleasant living

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »
What was up with all the booing of Mark Teixeira the other day? Is it because he's a Yankee or because he spurned the Orioles in the offseason?

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 10:21:01 PM »
I think a lot of people thought he was going to be an Oriole or a National for the past year. Why they thought that I don't know. Maybe they didn't notice the Yankees glaring weak spot at 1B and all the salaries they rid themselves of.