Author Topic: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!  (Read 18535 times)

Bertram

• Plantar Fasciitis
Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
Bill Robert Thornton (the musician and sometimes actor) takes offense for not being treated like Tom Petty.

listen:

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/qpodcast_20090408_14110.mp3

watch:

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2009/04/vanity_project_or_renaissance.html

emma

Re: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
I was JUST ABOUT to post this.

The audio is bad, but the video is physically painful.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:04:01 PM »
I heard this this morning, too... It was pretty hilarious - it was all a joke, right?

I mean, he drums and sings, but he didn't bring anything to percuss and they played an instrumental song?

Jokes, right?

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:56:06 PM »
GAH!! I listen to Q every single day at work. Today I call in sick, sleep in and miss this. Dammit.

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
I think my favorite part is that he thinks it's below him to bring his drums to a studio early in the morning. So he makes his band do an instrumental version of his song while he just sits there. Class act.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:24 AM »
Random observations:

Lots of creepy dead-eyed stares by Mr. Thornton in that video. Unnerving.

But he was kinda funny when he went off on that monster magazine/Forrest J. Ackerman riff.

If I was the DJ, I would have tried to get him to keep talking about monster magazines and other irrelevant topics. Once an interview subject goes rogue on you, you might as well just help push him off the cliff.

Perhaps Billy-Bob genuinely hates Canada. He seemed pretty invested in giving the whole nation a "fuck you" towards the end of that video.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »
I think my favorite part is that he thinks it's below him to bring his drums to a studio early in the morning. So he makes his band do an instrumental version of his song while he just sits there. Class act.

I think Charlie Watts might be the only other drummer that could successfully exert his will this way. 

Athrogate

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »

"I grew up a music historian, so, yeah......cosmic cowboy music..."

If honesty changed the hearts of men, who could contend? If all I thought were true, in this great divide that is my life, I fear to think of all that I'd undo, if all i thought were true.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »

"I grew up a music historian, so, yeah......cosmic cowboy music..."

YES! Those are the two best back-to-back sentences in the history of the English language.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:40:47 AM »

I think Charlie Watts might be the only other drummer that could successfully exert his will this way. 

At least he'd be freshly shaved and in a nice suit. A class act!
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:16:45 AM »
The host of this thing was a paragon of patience, trying desperately to not drop the Truth Bomb on BBT that HIS BAND WOULD BE NOWHERE NEAR ANY RADIO STATION IF THE DUDE FROM SLING BLADE WASNT THE DRUMMER. But yeah, I agree with Dave B - he should've just kept the questioning along the lines of Famous Monsters and Forrest Ackerman.

Tom.

guidedbyboognish

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:51:34 AM »
Interesting comparison are some interviews with Rick Moranis when his album came out, where he clearly instructed that there would be no discussion about his acting career at all. Which made for some of the most boring interviews ever.

I think the host of Q must have been pretty excited getting Billy Bob talking about monster trucks rather than talking about how great Kris Kristofferson is. I just feel so sorry for the band when they get up to do the instrumental, possibly conflicted with wanting to join in with Billy Bob's disdain for the show yet simultaneously realising the host has done nothing wrong.

Canadian audiences do stink though.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »
Billy Bob was doing a bad Sling Blade impression from what I could tell. Jian Ghomeshi is the host of Q, he deserves high marks for putting up with that pretentious bulls***. I honestly thought BBT was under the influence, perhaps cocaine or blue. He may have called in to Q after he fell asleep in the van, on the way to the next city.   

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
If I was the DJ, I would have tried to get him to keep talking about monster magazines and other irrelevant topics. Once an interview subject goes rogue on you, you might as well just help push him off the cliff.

My God, that would have been just sublime.  Let him hang himself with that bullshit, see how many people show up for the gig that he failed to promote.  Of course, the whole thing is likely to be a publicity seeking stunt.  Act like a tool, get linked a billion times on the internet, everyone hears about your band by default.  It's just as believable that he's just a huge FWD, so I'm on the fence here.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »
Canadian audiences do stink though.
YOU STINK
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.