Author Topic: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!  (Read 18542 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Canadian audiences do stink though.
YOU STINK

Hockey rink fight! Hockey rink fight!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:34:46 PM »
YOU STINK

I think there may be some truth to this, Jeremy, especially Ontario. We're not the most demonstrative people in the world.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »

[/quote]

I think there may be some truth to this, Jeremy, especially Ontario. We're not the most demonstrative people in the world.
[/quote]

Don't be a self loather.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

erechoveraker

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
That was hard to watch. Well, watch and not yell thing while I was doing it.

The Cleef

• Policemans heel
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
BBT reminded me of Captain Beefheart in trying to be intimidating- just way less engaging, and even less rational. I can imagine him as a band leader being a FWD to his players like Don Van only without an artistic mission. 

Do mysteries really exist?

spaceprophet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 06:09:03 AM »
I bet Willie Nelson (the headliner) was proud as punch that Billy Bob promoted the hell out of their concert to a potential Canadian audience. If Willie was about 50 years younger he might've whupped Billy Bob's arse the moment he stepped on to the tour bus.

I don't believe it was a stunt. BBT aint no Andy Kaufman. He was high as a kite and it's quite evident in the video. Either that or they just woke him up 10 minutes before the introduction. I'm inclined to believe it was both.

If the radio host would've asked Tom Petty about his music career if he was trying to break into acting, I think Tom Petty would've been more than happy to discuss it. I don't think it would've been off limits either.

That's gotta be a host's worst nightmare. I mean Letterman pulled it off but it's gotta be right up there with trying to do stand-up in a room full of jerk hecklers.

Man, that interview was only 18 minutes with a performance but can you imagine if you were stuck with this dude for a whole show?

Silence...is golden. Duct tape...is silver.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »

CANADA WINS !!!!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1609026/20090410/story.jhtml

Apr 10 2009 1:25 PM EDT
Billy Bob Thornton Booed Onstage, Cancels Canada Tour
Attempt to explain bizarre radio interview leads to jeers from audience.

By Eric Ditzian

Billy Bob Thornton's trip north of the border took another turn for the worse Thursday night, and then ended abruptly on Friday (April 10).

First he battled with a Canadian radio host who introduced Thornton — much to his dismay — as a movie star while he was promoting his music career. Then, at a concert Thursday night, where Thornton's band the Boxmasters opened for Willie Nelson, he attempted to explain the bizarre interview but ended up fighting with the audience too. The next day, Nelson's official Web site said the Boxmasters had dropped off the tour.

"It seems as if when I say something it's in the news," Thornton told the crowd at Massey Hall, according to the Toronto Star. The audience immediately began booing, to which Thornton replied, "Boo all you want, but I want to say something — we're really happy to be here, but I need to say something. I talked to this a--hole yesterday."

Thornton went on to explain that the radio show's producers had promised not to make any references to his acting career. CBC Radio's Jian Ghomeshi began the interview by introducing Thornton as an "Oscar-winning screenwriter, actor and director." Thornton then became alternately belligerent and nonsensical, drawing comparisons with Joaquin Phoenix's epic unraveling on "Late Show with David Letterman" in February. Over the nearly 15-minute interview, Thornton claimed not to understand the simplest of questions and professed to never having met Willie Nelson.

"I don't really like sensationalism," he told the crowd at Massey Hall. "If you look someone in the eyes and promise them something, and you don't do it, you don't get the interview. That's the way it goes."

Thornton's explanation did not satisfy the audience, and they began jeering, "Here comes the gravy," a reference to Thornton's description of Canadian audiences during the CBC interview as "mashed potatoes with no gravy."

Earlier in the evening, Thornton was asked by a reporter to explain the mashed potatoes comment. "I was talking about the guy who was interviewing me," he said.

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

sushi cowboy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 12:15:50 AM »
He's pissed that his acting career was brought up, but instead of brushing it off he campaigns over the following days to justify why it wasn't okay to bring his acting career up? He's talking about what bothered him ten times more than the DJ who brought it up. Did anyone else have a hard time gauging the bands reactions during the interview?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 01:57:57 AM »
I never thought that highly of Billy Bob Thornton to begin with. But my opinion of him went down a notch. What a toolbag.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Sarah

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 09:11:12 AM »
YOU STINK

New Brunswick audiences are pretty raucous.

emma

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
Thornton's explanation did not satisfy the audience, and they began jeering, "Here comes the gravy," a reference to Thornton's description of Canadian audiences during the CBC interview as "mashed potatoes with no gravy."

That's kind of fantastic, but also...surprisingly organized?

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
Did anyone else have a hard time gauging the bands reactions during the interview?

It was very hard to gauge from the audio alone, but on watching the video I thought it was pretty clear they were mortified (staring at the floor, not looking at either Billy Bob or the host, talking very quietly and seeming flustered in their answers). It was like having company over when your alcoholic dad is on a bender.

spaceprophet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
BBT was pissed at the interviewer for allegedly focusing on him and his film career instead of the band and the music, but check this out. The Smoking Gun obtained his rider which states that:

"Billy Bob Thorton shall receive 100% sole headline billing on any and all publicity releases and paid advertisements, including, but not limited to programs, fliers, signs, lobby boards, and marquees. Correct spelling of Artist's name is as follows: Billy Bob Thorton And Special Guests The Boxmasters."

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0410092billybob1.html

So I guess you can mention BBT in any and all media except for this poor fool early in the morning on a Canadian radio show.
Silence...is golden. Duct tape...is silver.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
The man was Bad Santa, people. Lifetime pass.

"Are you saying there's something wrong with my gear?"

J. Garbage

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 06:10:57 PM »
Bad Santa can suck it.