Author Topic: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!  (Read 18524 times)

J. Garbage

Re: Billy Bob Thornton interview on CBC radio - lovely stuff!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2009, 03:33:38 PM »
I'm a bit biased against Bad Santa.  My brother thought Bad Santa might cheer everyone up the week my mother died.  Didn't work. 

I haven't seen it since, but apparently my dad watched it again later and thought it was funny.

As usual, I'm pretty much with Tom about movies.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
I'm a bit biased against Bad Santa.  My brother thought Bad Santa might cheer everyone up the week my mother died.  Didn't work. 

Again, I liked the movie ... but yes, that's definitely the wrong movie for the wrong occasion.

He is pretty charmless. But I think Bad Santa is GREAT in spite of him, not because of him.

Um ... wasn't charmlessness the entire point of his character in that movie? That's like complaining that Danny McBride was charmless in "The Foot Fist Way". 
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »
He is pretty charmless. But I think Bad Santa is GREAT in spite of him, not because of him.

Um ... wasn't charmlessness the entire point of his character in that movie? That's like complaining that Danny McBride was charmless in "The Foot Fist Way". 

Ehh, sorta. You can have a charmless character portrayed by a very charming actor - Danny McBride is the perfect example. I just don't think Billy Bob really nailed it. I still loved the movie, but his performance wasn't the reason.

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
Take your sympathy and shove it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9F_XHb81N0[/youtube]

Recognize the "drummer"? Ugggg

hugman

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
Bad Santa is a great movie.  The kid in that thing deserved an oscar, and that scene where BBT's character gets all pissed off at him for calling himself stupid gets me every time.  I find that movie to be quite touching, actually.  I never knew Bill Murray was considered for it. That would have been amazing. Maybe.

BBT acted like a total douche in this interview, and I think you gotta hand it to that Jian guy for the way he handled it.  I will say, if BBT's behavior was justified it would have been hilarious.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »

My friends and I probably bring this song up once a week.  I am glad others can now enjoy how amazing it is.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

hugman

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2009, 02:01:35 PM »

No. cuz they don't show him for more than a tenth of a second at any time.  Suppose I'll go google it now.

Edited for update: Oh, it's my man Jian.   This band is probably better than anything BBT's ever done musically.

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Bad Santa is one of those movies that I think I liked when I watched it but have absolutely no interest in watching again. So maybe I don't like it as much as I think.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »

I haven't seen it since, but apparently my dad watched it again later and thought it was funny.

I have a terrible story along this vein that involves the death by misadventure of a friend's father and our choice of Reservoir Dogs as the movie the next time we got together with him.  I still grimace with embarrassment when I think of that one.  Not quite as bad as when I remember some bit of adolescent poetry, but pretty bad.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

spaceprophet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »
Would you ask John Cougar Mellencamp that?
Silence...is golden. Duct tape...is silver.

hugman

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »

I have a terrible story along this vein that involves the death by misadventure of a friend's father and our choice of Reservoir Dogs as the movie the next time we got together with him.  I still grimace with embarrassment when I think of that one.  Not quite as bad as when I remember some bit of adolescent poetry, but pretty bad.

do you live in a town where they do mortified?  if so, you should do a reading.  I'm going to the one in LA tonight.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »

do you live in a town where they do mortified?  if so, you should do a reading.  I'm going to the one in LA tonight.

I can git ovah to Biloxi once ever' two weeks.  Does they do it there?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »

It gets me all worried when the best show successor refers to Jian as "my man." Have you really listened to any of his other interviews?

There are winners and losers on Canadian radio and when you come up with segues like "And now, a performer who does for the accordion what Kurt Cobain did for the guitar," you go in the loser pile. Being more musically proficient or interesting or whatever than BB is not really the loftiest aspiration.

I guess Toronto Willie Nelson fans treated the Boxmasters to a pretty hostile reception at one of their shows, prompting them to drop off the tour. My pally told me they were chanting "Here's your gravy," or something like that.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »
Yeah - Moxy Fruvous are terrible. However, there are worse crimes than being in a corny but successful band in your 20s.

I was skeptical of his show, too. But the truth is that it's good. He gets good guests, and he's a smart interviewer. This guy is not worth hating, Louis - let it go!

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
Argh, I know you're right but I think I'm predisposed to loath the dude!