Author Topic: I'm in!  (Read 6042 times)

LaunchCode

• Plantar Fasciitis
I'm in!
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
Been an avid podcast listener since late 2006, right before I did a loooong 2 year stint in Dubai, where it kept me sane.  Now back in Sydney and finally able to confirm that many Dubains do indeed dress like Sullivan Pope and attend midnight showings of DAG!
"Sword Warrior!"

zaxxon25

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: I'm in!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »
I've been listening thru WMFU's website for the past coupla years though only recently started to explore the world of FOT due to a recent unemployment opportunity.  I suppose I should start dedicating myself to listening to the archives but right now it seems almost as daunting as trying to eat all the canned pears in an average sized supermarket.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »
Welcome aboard, guys!

There's a great thread for introductions here.

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
I want Dubai stories!

I heard lots of scary shit.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »
I want Dubai stories!

I heard lots of scary shit.

Me too! What I've read/seen about Dubai has simultaneously captured my imagination and profoundly terrified me.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
Sydney, France?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

LaunchCode

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
I went to Dubai in Feb 07 and left in Feb 09-- it went from a long big real estate-fuled boom to a car crash bust in late 08... it was scary-- people moonwalking outta there like crazy!  big problem was you have to pay your exorbitant rent up front in a lot of cases-- and if you got the heave ho, you'd have to be out of Dubai in 30 days! so you'd have to sublet your place (in a crashing economy) instantly!  plus you have to clear up all your car/personal loans before you leave or you can get thrown in jail... there are a lot of people who chucked it all in and left owing lots.  if they ever even connect through Dubai on a flight, they can be arrested on the spot!

it will be years before it ever comes back... it was based on a total confidence scam, since most of the buildings are and will be for a very  long time, just empty... all hundreds of gleaming floors of 'em

thank good i had best show to see me through it!!!

all in all, it was a most pleasant au revoir to that hellhole... and it is nice to be back in Sydney (France, wait...whuuuuuut????
"Sword Warrior!"

Pidgeon

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:35:20 PM »
Sydney, France?

Dubai, South Carolina?