Author Topic: Waits has never allowed his songs to be used in advertising  (Read 2452 times)

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Waits has never allowed his songs to be used in advertising
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:53:57 AM »
Waits settles in 'imitation' case

Singer Tom Waits has settled a case in Germany against a car maker and advertising agency he had accused of imitating him on a TV commercial.

Waits sued Adam Opel AG and advertising firm McCann Erickson in 2005, claiming a singer copied his voice and style in an advert aired in Scandinavia.

Opel said the music was not intended to mimic Waits, 57.

The settlement was not disclosed but Waits' lawyer Kevin Marks said the net proceeds would go to charity.

The gravel-voiced singer never allows his songs to be used in advertising - he said he had turned down several offers to do the commercial in question.

Opel said the music used in the advert was a Brahms composition.

"I'm glad to be out of the car sales business once and for all," said Waits in a statement.

Waits won a court case a year ago against another car firm, Volkswagen-Audi, which impersonated his voice and changed one of his songs without permission in a Spanish advert.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6305403.stm
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Laurie

Re: Waits has never allowed his songs to be used in advertising
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »
Tom Waits won his case against Frito-Lay for the same thing. They had approached him to use his music for a commercial. He refused, so they get a sound-alike instead.

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Waits has never allowed his songs to be used in advertising
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:02:38 PM »
Seems pretty admirable to me to not sell out your art for few bucks.

Anyone see the new Mitsubishi commercial with a Fall song on it, underneath the narrator -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_3eBFjCNIo
I really don't blame Mark though, he could use the cash.  And he probably didn't even sign off on it.  He has a history of being ripped off by record companies and one of them probably ows the rights to the song and he has no say on how it is used.  Still it's weird/cool that a major corporation like that would feature a Fall track in one of their big nationally broadcast commercials.