Author Topic: FOT Fitness Challenge  (Read 56801 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: FOT Fitness Challenge
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
I'm an almost-vegetarian (I still cheat and eat seafood every now and then), I don't eat fast foods and I exercise 3 times per week. At my last doctor's visit, though, my cholesterol was high (220) and I was heavier than I've ever been (215 lbs), so I decided to change my diet. I try to pay more attention to what's in my food (I was always OK about this, but I'm trying to be more strict), but what's helped the most is just reducing the amount of food I eat, especially snacking. I used to snack in between meals a lot and I've always had a sweet tooth, so I decided to totally eliminate that stuff. If I do need a snack in between meals, I'll have a piece of fruit or a small piece of bread. The idle snacking I used to do wasn't that hard to cut out at all. Like people have said, the more you eat, the more you want. Just ignoring that first craving is all it takes to realize that you aren't really hungry after all.

Anyway, I've lost 10 lbs in a little over 3 weeks, and that includes 2 weeks of hectic, high-stress time where I've been away from home, out of my routine, and dealing with a death in the family, so I figure if I can make it through a time like that, I'm in good shape.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
I finally joined a gym last year and did weights and yoga pretty consistently for a good nine months, but stopped around new year when I started seriously working on renovating my house. I spend every evening and weekend on that now (and for the foreseeable future) and figured it would be strenuous enough to keep me in shape, but I'm beginning to realize that's not the case. It's just not the right kind of work-out. I've always been a very skinny guy with OK eating habits (rarely drink, small healthy meals, lots of vegetables and an awful lot of sweets as well) so I don't need to lose weight, but I've lost all that muscle tone I worked for.

Anyhow this thread is inspiring me to give some time back over to real exercise again. I'm not so into a competition necessarily but I will definitely be checking in for encouragement.

Here's a question (maybe Hugman or TE can answer): what's the best sustainable way to alter my diet to gain some muscle mass (say 10 pounds) while working out? As an ectomorph I've always had trouble with this, and I've tried eating more food in general and with more protein, but it never seems to help that much. I gain a little but hit a plateau pretty quickly (not braggin'. it sucks looking like a gangly teenager in your thirties).

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 07:25:20 PM »
I like all the interest! I think I'm easily the second fattest one here at 5' 11", 280 lbs (after Dave "Double Fists o' Karo" from Knoxville), but that's acceptable! It just means this can't be a challenge, because I don't take on competitors who are certain to beat me. It sounds like nobody wants to do that anyhow, which is good. I'm glad you can look past my Daniel Plainview way of thinking and still appreciate the oil!

Even given that, I still think some structure is necessary even for as loose a 'program' as that, but my research is not complete in this area yet. In my mind it looks like a friendly yet regulated check-in process, with pictures and weigh-ins and individual goals that we share aloud, but again, I am just theorizing.

Obviously we are all on vastly different pages, but I believe that can be accommodated! The whole point as I see it is to get everyone who wants the motivation to be in a place where they feel accountable to the group, so we can use that accountability to make individual progress even when the going gets rough. The rest is details. Hateful, vomitous details.

Most of all I just want to say I love the enthusiasm, I honestly didn't expect even one reply. There have been some great tips here already, I hope you all keep dropping them on us. Now, on to the larger structure! Help me turn this idea into a functioning MACHINE!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
Even though I'm doing Weight Watchers right now, I did have *some* success using http://caloriecount.about.com which is completely free. You can track what you've eaten (It really is helpful to take a step back and look at a day's worth of the food you eat) and also activity/exercise.

I just went for the points system because it's a little simpler for me. That, and I have no willpower for anything else.
from the land of pleasant living

Pete from oz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »
Count me in for this!  I've put on a bunch of weight since I started studying again a few years ago and have been wanting to start losing it for a while now.  I've started eating pretty well recently, lots of veggies and fruit, minimising meat and dairy but for the life of me can't get back into exercising.  Every morning I aim to go for a run, but it never happens.  So some group motivation sounds good to me.   

hugman

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »
cutting out or down on meat is not necessarily healthy for you in particular. everyone is different. more later.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 02:46:26 AM »
I finally joined a gym last year and did weights and yoga pretty consistently for a good nine months, but stopped around new year when I started seriously working on renovating my house. I spend every evening and weekend on that now (and for the foreseeable future) and figured it would be strenuous enough to keep me in shape, but I'm beginning to realize that's not the case. It's just not the right kind of work-out. I've always been a very skinny guy with OK eating habits (rarely drink, small healthy meals, lots of vegetables and an awful lot of sweets as well) so I don't need to lose weight, but I've lost all that muscle tone I worked for.

Anyhow this thread is inspiring me to give some time back over to real exercise again. I'm not so into a competition necessarily but I will definitely be checking in for encouragement.

Here's a question (maybe Hugman or TE can answer): what's the best sustainable way to alter my diet to gain some muscle mass (say 10 pounds) while working out? As an ectomorph I've always had trouble with this, and I've tried eating more food in general and with more protein, but it never seems to help that much. I gain a little but hit a plateau pretty quickly (not braggin'. it sucks looking like a gangly teenager in your thirties).

I'm a opposite body type but I'm thinking the same principles I use can be applied to you (?)
If you're serious about it you need to come up with a plan and stick to it the way you stick to plans to do some renovations on your roof say. You wouldn't half ass or cut corners on that--so take that same level of seriousness into your diet/training

For a hard gainer I'd say on the training side I say spit up your weight training and cardio, so weights Mon, cardio Tues. I'm not a big fan of aerobic cardio in general and especially not for a hard gainer I'd say limit yourself to 20 mins three times a week and make it more anaerobic like wind sprints and some stair work. This will turn cardio into more of a muscle building affair will still getting cardiovascular benefits.

On the weight side lots of compound movements, if your a guys that wants to pack on the muscle skip the dainty isolation exercises. You should have maybe 6 to 8 core exercise and the goal on those is to push yourself to lift heavier (sensibly of course) and in the lower rep range 6-10 versus 12-15 most generalists use.

so your gonna wanna do compound movements like:
military presses
barbell rows
squats
deadlifts
dips/pushups

On the diet side I would suggest eating 6 meals a day, I would suggest this for everyone BTW
It can be accomplished if you're serious and committed to have a healthy diet. I have done it it some pretty tough conditions and it can be done with a little pre planning and stick-to-it'veness.

Ok, 6 meals doesn't mean they have to be huge just a quick 1,2 punch to keep your calories up thru out the day. Should be one protein rich item and one carb rich item. The pure-er the protein source (grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, egg whites) the better. The closer you get to low glycemic carb source (brown rice, whole grains), the "slow burn" carbs, the better.  So just as an example a quick midday meal could be a grilled chicken breast and a baked yam. Quick and easy you can have made that the night before or made a bunch of those on a Sunday for the week. Of course you can make you diet more complex by adding a green item like broccoli or some other leafy green but I'm just gonna keep it simple here, one protein-one carb = 1 meal.

for an idea of how to split up 6 meals this is something I been doing for years:

8am
10am
12noon

3pm
6pm
9pm

I could get into a whole thing about why i break it down like this but thats just an idea of how one can fit  6 meals in a day.

For a guy like me I stick the fattest meal in at the start of my day or midday and end with the lightest meal at night. But for a hard gainer stick that calorie rich fat meal at the end of the day, this closer to what the average person does anyway so it won't feels as weird as some of the other stuff. So I can see 6pm or a 9pm meal for you being a cut of baked salmon (protein rich but fatty) and a bread etc. The why of this would be boring.

damn, I over did this.

I reserve the right to come back and edit this to a more concise response.

AaronC

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm 28, 6'1" 240lbs.  I don't smoke or drink, BUT I don't exercise or eat healthy.  I could list excuses why, but there is really no excuse for the shape I'm in.  My dad died of heart disease last year at the age of 45.  That really scared me.  I support this idea because it is the kick-in-the-pants I need to get back in shape. 

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »

On the weight side lots of compound movements, if your a guys that wants to pack on the muscle skip the dainty isolation exercises. You should have maybe 6 to 8 core exercise and the goal on those is to push yourself to lift heavier (sensibly of course) and in the lower rep range 6-10 versus 12-15 most generalists use.

so your gonna wanna do compound movements like:
military presses
barbell rows
squats
deadlifts
dips/pushups

Thanks! I have to admit 6 meals sounds tough to get used to, but if it works...

Does it matter a whole lot whether I use free weights or machines? I usually work out alone and without a spotter it makes sense to stay on the machines for some exercises (eg squats, bench press), but I wonder if that isolates things too much by taking balance and control out of the equation.

hugman

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »
I'm 28, 6'10' 240lbs.  I don't smoke or drink, BUT I don't exercise or eat healthy.  I could list excuses why, but there is really no excuse for the shape I'm in.  My dad died of heart disease last year at the age of 45.  That really scared me.  I support this idea because it is the kick-in-the-pants I need to get back in shape. 

is that a typo or are you gonna be the center of the FOT intramural basketball team?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
I'm 28, 6'10' 240lbs.  I don't smoke or drink, BUT I don't exercise or eat healthy.  I could list excuses why, but there is really no excuse for the shape I'm in.  My dad died of heart disease last year at the age of 45.  That really scared me.  I support this idea because it is the kick-in-the-pants I need to get back in shape. 

is that a typo or are you gonna be the center of the FOT intramural basketball team?

ew boy, no kidding.  but ill have to find out the answer later...im off to the gym!

hugman

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »
GO BVT!  Crank up the oblivs and attack that treadmill.

hugman

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

My two cents, since you asked, is accept the body type you are and tone up.  I'm an ectomorph, too, and fine with it. As I stated in the now famous Iron Brotherhood thread, when I'm at my rippedest I'm more like My War era Rollins, and I'm fine with that.  Feeling good and being healthy is the most important goal, so work with what ya got.   You can bulk up all you want to but you have to maintain or you'll just shrink back down (see Ed Norton from American History X).  Don't let the Iron Brotherhood intimidate you out of the weight room.  Be proud that you're there working on yourself and if that means bench pressing 100 pounds so be it.  And do free weights.  Just lift within your limits and don't be a hero.

That said, TE's advice is good, too.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
I am 5'8" 205 lbs, which is right at the level of obese, according to the BMI. I'd have to get to 150 to be at the normal weight for my height, but in actuality I can't imagine my body weighing anything less than 175 which is my HS weight. In general I am pretty healthy, I go to the gym all the time and am pretty good about eating healthy 95% of the time. Except when I eat a pint of ice cream or an entire package of cookies in 30 minutes, which is way too frequent.
I go to the gym often but can't afford personal training. I would love to know how to loose my gut. I started a fairly extreme diet which gets easier as you go, but I am only a few days in.
I support this idea as well, but am not sure the way it will work.

I have been eagerly awaiting this: http://www.fitbit.com because I imagine it help me manage health the way mint.com helped with money (life-changing for me, but i went from no money managing).

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 03:08:40 PM »
When does Trembling Eagle step in and tell us all we're doing it wrong?