Author Topic: Comic books  (Read 111652 times)

God Stewart

Re: Comic books
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
You'd think I'd learn my lesson about ressurecting old threads but...

Fall Out Boy is coming to comics. It will be drawn by people who don't know anything about music or how to hold a guitar. The first issue will apparently be Fall Out Boy vs. the Forrest of Haunted USB Cables.

Crossovers with bands and comics are nothing new but some recent developments have gone TOO FAR. Do we really need a collection of comics based on Tori Amos songs? Et tu, Hope Larson?

Also is anyone reading Scott Pilgrim? Possibly the most entertaining comic I've ever read.

Laurie

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »
Do we really need a collection of comics based on Tori Amos songs? Et tu, Neil Gaiman?

Fixed!

God Stewart

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
Cheers.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »
The inker Gerhard did mostly the backgrounds and some lettering. Cerebus is really Dave Sim's baby and the evolution of the actually artwork is breath taking, not to mention how he constantly pushed forward  on the technical aspects of paneling, space....sound (I know).

It's all about how you frame things I guess because I don't think of it as dragging on I think of the story as epic and singular.

Of course his eccentricities coloured his work, when the art is true it always does. I don't agree with his whole "male light/female void" thesis but man, if anybody takes the time to read that passage it shows what a brilliant, powerful mind was at work. It is a dense polemic for any form literature.

For a guy that is such a "misogynist" he created some compelling female characters....much more so than big boobed sex pot caricatures in mainstream fare.
Am I wrong in thinking that Cerebus is basically the comic book equivalent of Frank Zappa? A horrible self-sustaining loop that some people seem to get stuck in.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:10 PM »
Somewhere on the internets, Douglas Wolk of Reading Comics recently made a spirited defense of Cerebus that - while it will not convince me to read it - makes me understand why people like it.  I actually did follow it for a while in the late 80s/early 90s, but gave up on it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »
The inker Gerhard did mostly the backgrounds and some lettering. Cerebus is really Dave Sim's baby and the evolution of the actually artwork is breath taking, not to mention how he constantly pushed forward  on the technical aspects of paneling, space....sound (I know).

It's all about how you frame things I guess because I don't think of it as dragging on I think of the story as epic and singular.

Of course his eccentricities coloured his work, when the art is true it always does. I don't agree with his whole "male light/female void" thesis but man, if anybody takes the time to read that passage it shows what a brilliant, powerful mind was at work. It is a dense polemic for any form literature.

For a guy that is such a "misogynist" he created some compelling female characters....much more so than big boobed sex pot caricatures in mainstream fare.
Am I wrong in thinking that Cerebus is basically the comic book equivalent of Frank Zappa? A horrible self-sustaining loop that some people seem to get stuck in.

I'm a big Zappa fan. Maybe it's a math thing.

Satchmo Mask

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
I've been catching up on a lot of stuff that is pretty much standard and universally appreciated, like Eightball (In particular, Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron) and Preacher.

I've read some All-Star Superman, which I liked, as well as Craig Thompson (late, I know. I might as well say I liked this CD called Lovage) and other indie-comixxixix. I like Grant Morrison, and after reading an interview concerning his run on Batman, my interest is really piqued.

Is it something worth looking into? On top of the other million titles I need to read. Like, uh, Madman. And other stuff.

The interview - http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147734
"I LOVE HONEY BUNCHES AND OATS,BUT THE LAST THREE TIMES I WAS EATING IT,T EXSPIRIENCED SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN AND ACID REFLEX PROBLEMS.SO THIS CEREAL IS OF MY GROCERY LIST" - Monika54

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
I love Morrison but his Batman has not been so hot so far.  I like it in theory - the sexy late 60s/early 70s Batman, with a sense of humor, sort of a palliative to the grim n' gritty post Dark Knight stuff - but it seems a little rushed.  Maybe it's just that the current artist isn't a great storyteller.  I'm pretty psyched for Final Crisis, though.

What is this Lovage of which you speak?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Laurie

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
Do you mean the Mike Patton/Jennifer Charles/Dan the Automator/Kid Koala project? I got into it because I love Jennifer Charles. I also love her collaborations with John Zorn and the Ladino stuff she's done on Zorn's Tzadik label. I'm a Tzadik apologist. The half-Jew in me can't resist it.

Wow! That was off topic, no?

On topic: The last issue of Y: The Last Man made me cry really hard. The part with Ampersand? Oh man.  :'(

dvdv

• Policemans heel
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 11:18:32 PM »
I love Morrison but his Batman has not been so hot so far.  I like it in theory - the sexy late 60s/early 70s Batman, with a sense of humor, sort of a palliative to the grim n' gritty post Dark Knight stuff - but it seems a little rushed.  Maybe it's just that the current artist isn't a great storyteller.  I'm pretty psyched for Final Crisis, though.

[/quote

I might like his run on Batman more if it wasn't being published at the same time as All Star Superman, which makes everything else in the universe pales in comparison.  I liked the Batman and Son collection but it's just nowhere near the achievement that is Morrison's ASS (I feel dirty now).

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 11:36:29 PM »
On topic: The last issue of Y: The Last Man made me cry really hard. The part with Ampersand? Oh man.  :'(

Don't spoil it!!!

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 03:04:25 AM »

Don't spoil it!!!

what's with everyone loving this comic?

am I the only one who thinks it's pretty poorly written and on the whole, really chauvinistic 

maybe I'm just disappointed because it's nowhere near as good as Runaways
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »
Of the Brian K Vaughan stuff I've read, I think "Y" is the champion. I think it works best when read in collected volumes instead of single issues. I tried to hop on board when it first came out, but I couldn't hang out every month waiting on the next bit. I love the book in trade paper back form.

I think that Pia Guerra is a super underrated artist. I hope she lands a great gig after "Y".

also, "Runaways" caught me by suprise. I really expected to not like that book at all...but it's pretty darn good.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 11:18:07 PM »
Why do you think it's chauvinistic, Colin?  I love BKV's writing generally, though I don't think I agree with much of his politics (a conclusion I arrived at more from Ex-Machina than Y).

Gagneaux, I generally agree, though I love the cliffhangers.

Laurie, yes, that was so fucking sad.  Pia Guerra draws one hell of a (SPOILER) capuchin money.

By the way, this month's Morrison Batman has been my favorite in a while.

Satchmo Mask

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2008, 04:32:55 AM »
Awgh. Not much to add, except that I read every issue of Y: The Last Man, and yeah, without spoilering or anything, I thought it was really fantastic. Exciting and well researched. It kind of seemed like the offspring of Preacher in a lot of ways, which I'm sure isn't a coincidence.

Thanks to these magical tax returns, my girlfriend and I* ordered a pretty large stock of comics on amazon.

Amongst the heap:

Black Hole, Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron, Fables Vol. 1, Summer Blonde, Maggie the Mechanic (Love and Rockets) and some other stuff.

Any consensus?

*I know it's a hindrance to reference a significant other in an internet anecdote, when it seems unnecessary to do so, but truth be told, it's her tax return I'm parasiting.
"I LOVE HONEY BUNCHES AND OATS,BUT THE LAST THREE TIMES I WAS EATING IT,T EXSPIRIENCED SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN AND ACID REFLEX PROBLEMS.SO THIS CEREAL IS OF MY GROCERY LIST" - Monika54