Author Topic: Breaking Bad  (Read 82680 times)

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
Breaking Bad
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
I'm totally loving this show these days. In particular, the run of episodes starting with the Bob Odenkirk appearances have been massively entertaining television. For me, it's great to see such an obvious Sopranos clone go on to do it's own thing and do it so well. Do you watch it? I feel it needs this thread to honor it.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Breaking Bad
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
The first disc of season one is on its way to me via Netflix. I've heard lots of good things about it, so I look forward to checking it out. I hope it's better than Burn Notice, which I recently decided to check out. I made it through two episodes before sending it back.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »
I've seen the first three episodes and couldn't really jibe with it, despite Cranston's performance and an interesting plot.  There were already elements that seemed too cartoonish, like the sister and her husband, so when I read somewhere that Walt becomes a "swaggering badass" I kinda lost interest.  Is that a fair assessment of what happens?

hugman

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:12:57 PM »
nah, "swaggering badass" is a gross oversimplification. it takes some really great twists and turns and has some really funny moments, too.

although lsat night's episode was a snooze.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
It's an awesome show.

The end.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Pidgeon

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »
I like the scene where Walt beat the shit out of that kid after he picked on his son.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:16:31 PM »
The first disc of season one is on its way to me via Netflix. I've heard lots of good things about it, so I look forward to checking it out. I hope it's better than Burn Notice, which I recently decided to check out. I made it through two episodes before sending it back.

I like Burn Notice a lot, the same way I like fruit candy a lot.  Too much of it would make me hate it, but it's a lot of fun at an hour a week.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »
Correction to Hugman: last night's episode was only a snooze if you don't like to celebrate things that are awesome.

Note to Chris L: the Hank character does start off a bit cartoonish, probably intentionally so, before progressing into something much less so.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Sarah

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
Breaking Bad is good and often fun.

Burn Notice is fun and good for what it is. 

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
OK, disc 2 of season 1 should ship tomorrow.  I still think this show should've been called A Meth Lab of One's Own, though.

Gentleman Jim

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

although lsat night's episode was a snooze.

Hey, last night was a 'housecleaning' episode.  With shows like this you can't have the same pacing every episode or it gets monotonous.  Picture last night as a performance of "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" in the middle of a bang-bang-bang Ramones set.  It allows a larger story to be told with dynamics.

And I'll take a 'housecleaning' episode of Breaking Bad before the best episode of 95% of all other dramas.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 06:47:18 PM »
it's great to see such an obvious Sopranos clone

uh, what?

Anyways, great show.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »
I don't think it is or was a Sopranos clone, but it's definitely influenced by that show in a good way.

Personally, I think it's the best show going right now.  What is better?  Nothing that I can think of.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
I've seen the first three episodes and couldn't really jibe with it, despite Cranston's performance and an interesting plot.  There were already elements that seemed too cartoonish, like the sister and her husband, so when I read somewhere that Walt becomes a "swaggering badass" I kinda lost interest.  Is that a fair assessment of what happens?

For the better part of the first season I would have to agree with you completely. They have done a much better job of giving those two characters flesh this season, although they are still the weakest part of the show.

it's great to see such an obvious Sopranos clone

uh, what?

Anyways, great show.

When I say Sopranos clone, I mean it was one of those edgy hour long shows that filled the Sopranos gap, while riding its coattails a bit. The family man/criminal element is one part of it, as are the cinematic music choices and the careful blending of comedy into the drama. Saying its an "obvious" clone is a mistake I suppose, as it's not a direct rip-off or anything. Just in a similar vein, which is to say a vein of quality scripted serial television.

I missed a lot of last nights episode, but when I caught the scene of Walt in the Home Depot grading the meth heads supplies, I lost my shit.

Pidgeon

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
I think that's a little too vague to be even close to a "clone." Yes, some elements are similar but the show itself doesn't feel anything like Sopranos.