Author Topic: Bad Lieutenant 2  (Read 13077 times)

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Bad Lieutenant 2
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:40:15 AM »
I saw the original Bad Lieutenant several years ago, and sadly the only thing I can remember is turning it off when Keitel was masturbating in one of the scenes. It was horrible.

And this one looks as bad, or worse. Cage looks washed up - the trailer makes it look like a straight-to-video masterpiece. I hope I'm wrong, because I was a big Cage fan back in the day of Raising Arizona, Vampire's Kiss, Leaving Las Vegas, Wild At Heart, etc.

JohnU

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 03:14:49 PM »
Case closed, they're both awful. It's no Wicker Man betrayal of greatness.

I see you spell the word great in many different ways.

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
the rotten tomatoes interview with herzog is funny because herzog keeps inferring that nic cage is one of the greatest actors of all time.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »
Saw THE BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS (the "the" really does add something to the title) last night and liked it quite a bit.  First, it seems no one here has had a good word for the original yet. I haven't seen it in years but I thought it and Keitel's performance were riveting. I can't think of another director that makes sleaze and depravity look as authentically disgusting and unsexy as Abel Ferrara.  His movies are skeevy like none other, and I mean that as a compliment.  On that level, the Herzog version with its cartoonier lead actor can't compete.   

That said, this movie was about as fun as I'd hoped, not because watching Cage indulge his many vices is a hoot, but because of the personal stamp he and Herzog put on what must have been a terribly boring script.   A lot of movies are odd or idiosyncratic by design, but rarer is one that's modestly conceived as one thing and then triumphantly turned on its head by a visionary weirdo and his iguanas. 

Keith Whitener

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
When Nic Cage is given the chance, he delivers as an actor, me thinks. He just keeps taking roles in boring explosiony films.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »
First, it seems no one here has had a good word for the original yet. I haven't seen it in years but I thought it and Keitel's performance were riveting. I can't think of another director that makes sleaze and depravity look as authentically disgusting and unsexy as Abel Ferrara.  His movies are skeevy like none other, and I mean that as a compliment.  On that level, the Herzog version with its cartoonier lead actor can't compete.   

I LOVE the original Bad Lt. It's Ferrara's best work by a mile (and I kinda "like" the guy). Been looking for your reaction to the new one, Chris.

I really hate when topics like this one ends up in sub-forums I never frequent.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
this interview makes Herzog sound like a giant (though somewhat funny) douchebag:

So, yes or no: Is Bad Lieutenant a project you're working on with Nicolas Cage?

Yes, but its not a remake. It's like, for example, you wouldn't call a new James Bond movie a remake of the previous one — although the name of the bad lieutenant is a different one, and the story is completely different. It's very interesting because Nicolas Cage really wants to work with me, and just anticipating working with an actor of his caliber is just wonderful.

Why this project, though? You could have worked on anything.

There's an interesting screenplay; it's a very, very dark story. It's great because it seems to reflect a side of the collective psyche — sometimes there are just good times for film noir. They don't come out of nowhere. There was some sort of a mysterious context with the understanding of people in that particular time. And it's going to be in New Orleans, which is a fascinating place. Part of it was the decision of the producers for tax incentives — which is totally legitimate. However, I thought to myself: "We have seen a lot of New York in movies; we have not seen New Orleans in feature films." Or very few feature films. After Katrina it's a particularly interesting set-up. The neglect and politics after the hurricane struck are something quite amazing. It has to do with public morality.

Speaking of which, the original film's director, Abel Ferrara, has vowed to fight this project, and —

Wonderful, yes! Let him fight! He thinks I'm doing a remake.

Have you talked to him?

No. I have no idea who Abel Ferrara is. But let him fight the windmills, like Don Quixote.

Have you heard his comments at all? He says he hopes "these people die in Hell."

That's beautiful!

Do you relate to that passion?

No, because it's like theater thunder. It's like being backstage in the 19th century, with the machines that make thunder. It has nothing do with with his film. But let him rave and rant; it's good music in the background.

You did a remake before with Nosferatu, but —

It was not so much a remake as an homage to Murnau. But I don't feel like doing an homage to Abel Ferrara because I don't know what he did — I've never seen a film by him. I have no idea who he is. Is he Italian? Is he French? Who is he?

Oh, come on.

Maybe I could invite him to act in a movie! Except I don't know what he looks like.

http://defamer.com/395038/defiant-werner-herzog-to-defamer-who-is-abel-ferrara
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Keith Whitener

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
I don't think he sounds like a douche. He sounds delightful!

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »
In Herzog's defense, I don't know who Adam Ferrari is either.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »
I couldn't disagree more, orator. That interview makes me like the movie and Herzog even more!
See God, Kai

harris

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
It was so bad. And the audience ate it up. Most fans of Herzog felt they had to like it. And they demonstrated this by laughing hysterically at any point Nicholas Cage used drugs. I wish he would've done like a 'snort fake' and pretended to use the stop quickly, just to see if the audiences laughs would quiver with uncertainty.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
I love Werner in general and his interviews are always delightful.  Sadly, BL: POCNO is an atrocity.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »
I'm with Omar.  Werner hasn't done a really good fictional film since... I don't even know.  Cobra Verde?  The documentaries are very good, and the interviews are always entertaining, but this one was not top shelf.

harris

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »
If Cobra Verde was his last great fictional film then it was a good place to end. That movie is so good. But am I that out of line saying that Herzog's greatest images are of reality. And it seems like even in his fictional movies the best moments aren't scripted.