Author Topic: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation  (Read 136046 times)

Sarah

Re: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »
I have never listened to a KISS album, and I think I might be able to recognize at best three songs of theirs.  I have, however, slept in a bedroom decorated by KISS posters.  It was during their heyday, when my cousin Timmy was twelve.  It was around then that I burst out laughing upon hearing "Christine Sixteen" for the first time.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/kiss-days-from-finishing-new-album-210622

Interesting. The KISS Korner concept sounds intriguing.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
The world's greatest Rock and Roll Brand.

"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
#11 - Dynasty

This was a tougher call than expected, on account of Dynasty being worse than I remembered and The Elder being slightly - oh, so slightly overall, and Odyssey was so much worse - better than I remembered.  But, in the end The Elder is pretty bad and Dynasty has two good songs and one ok one, while The Elder has two good songs and two ok ones...

Uh oh.  You can thank "Escape from the Island" for this last second change.

#11 #12 - Dynasty

Yeah, that's right, I'm demoting Dynasty and promoting The Elder.  But I'm still going to write about Dynasty because that's what I'm prepared to write about.

Imagine this.  It's 1979.  The 70s are ending and you're a teenage boy (I wasn't), in love with, say Kristy McNichol (again, I wasn't - my dim memory is more Heather Thomas-angled than at the star of The Pirate Movie).  Anyway, you dressed up as Peter Criss in 1978, not realizing he was about to be out the door.  These makeup-wearing weirdos in 7" heels have been prancing around and freaking out your parents for a couple of years now.

You first had the notion that something was strange when KISS went on the Paul Lynde special two and a half years earlier.  Watching the boys ham it up with the guy who played the funny-talking rat in Charlotte's Web (AND the witch from The Wizard of Oz) set off as-yet-incomprehensible alarm bells in your brain that the members of KISS were not fully committed to the rock and roll.

Like so:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCV0efgtu8[/youtube]

And yet, and yet.  Destroyer rocks.  Rock and Roll Over kicks ass.  Gene still spits blood and breathes fire.  Those funny letters in Alive! that hinted at things involving chicks that you hoped you'd discover in school next year, because YOU would still kind of get to experience the free-lovin' era, while people who came of age just post-AIDS had to put up with... but I digress.

You probably bought the solo albums and listened to them a few times.  Maybe you liked several songs on Ace's record.  Paul's record has a couple of power tunes.  Gene's record, sure, it includes a Jiminy Cricket number (there's that alarm bell again), but it also has some Gene rockers.  I bet you only heard Peter's record once.  So what, he's only the drummer.  And Beth was for the chicks.

So you see the posters for Dynasty starting in, probably, March.  A killer cover, with all four guys' faces on it.  You aren't clever or experienced enough to realize the symbolism of how divided their faces look.

By the time it's released on May 23, 1979, there's a fever pitch.  You may never have been as excited about something in your whole life as you are at this moment.  You plunk down your $6.98 at Record Bar, take it home, take out the awesome poster (!)...

... and put on the record.

What's this?

A DISCO song?

The new KISS album only has 9 songs, and the first one is a DISCO number?

You're freaked out, right?

Well, you're wrong to be.

"I Was Made for Lovin' You" is one of the two GREAT songs on Dynasty.  Yes, it's technically danceable.  But so what?  It's a great song.  And more than that, a great PR move - especially if, as Gene Simmons surely understood at the time, you're living on borrowed time with your drugged out and increasingly less servile drummer (who barely plays on this record at all) and guitarist.

So Paul and his 70s writing team of Vinny Poncia and Desmond Child write a number that the kids can dance to.  And they're rewarded with a #11 single.  KISS singles were always screwed up, anyway.  "Beth," a song that has nothing to do with KISS (or at least the Gene, Paul and Ace parts), is your top single ever?  

Dynasty had to do well.  Gene and Paul and the label knew by '79 that the solo album idea was garbage and had split the band.  So why not throw a hot disco track on, release it as a single, and get some attention?  Gene didn't like it, but he surely liked cashing the checks.  Probably.

For the second song, why not let Ace cover a little-known Rolling Stones song about the future and computers?  "2,000 Man" is actually pretty good, although it seems that someone in KISS (Ace, perhaps?) didn't understand that 2000 refers to the year 2000 and therefore should not have a comma.

Ace's take on "2,000/2000 Man" works well.  It's faithful to the original while being a lot heavier.  Hey, it's a hell of a lot better than the crap on side 4 of Alive II.

Song 3 is "Sure Know Something," which belongs up there with the best stuff that KISS ever did.  It has honest to God sentiment, and while, yes, it's about a chick, the chick actually was in the dominant role this time.  Rarely do Gene and Paul write about women who do anything but jump in the sack (see "Love 'Em Leave 'Em" for the credo), but this woman treated Paul's singer a lot like "Maggie May" treated Rod Stewart.  Paul should have done more stuff like this for his later power ballad stuff.

The rest of the album is terrible.

There's the standard Peter Criss track, "Dirty Livin'."  It's awful.  Just awful.  If Enrico Morricone was beaten for two weeks, left in the dark, transported to the late 70s, and immediately forced to write background effects, he would have come up with something very like this.  Thankfully, this is Peter's swan song with KISS.  Who knows what levels of craptaculance he could have produced for Unmasked?

Ace gets two more songs - "Hard Times" and "Save Your Love."  The first is just mediocre.  A long-haired junior high friend of mine was very indignant when I said I preferred Run-DMC's "Hard Times" to Ace's "Hard Times," but it's really not a tough call.  "Save Your Love" is an unfortunate prelude to what Ace would produce on Unmasked.

That the guy who did "Fractured Mirror" one year earlier could now produce this dreck is proof enough that you should stay off the drugs, kids.  And don't get signed into indentured servitude to an Evil Genius, either.

Gene has only two songs on Dynasty.  "Charisma," which is very repetitive and features the most off-key (again, I don't actually know what a key is) chorus on any makeup era KISS album.  It also features a weird vocal effect, doubling and distorting Gene's voice.  Not really good.  The other song is "X-Ray Eyes," which almost sounds thoughtful, although it still kind of sucks.

"Magic Touch," Paul's third song on the album, sounds a whole lot like an outtake from his solo record, so I assume that's what it is.

The home stretch beckons.

Please honor Paul Lynde's memory by purchasing the DVD below:

http://www.amazon.com/Lynde-Halloween-Special-Billy-Barty/dp/B000TEUSMC

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »

I will always link the cover of Dynasty to the Phantom Zone from Supeman II in my mind, and thus it entertains me to no end.

The album cover, that is. Not the album itself. I don't know anything on Dynasty except for "I Was Made For Loving You" and Ace's "2000 Man" cover. The former is a perfect summation of KISS and the '70s. There should be footage of them performing this while Evel Knievel jumps over a gorge behind them while, in a boxing ring directly in front of KISS, Muhammad Ali boxes Lou Ferrigno in full Incredible Hulk make-up. "2000 Man", meanwhile, is Ace's majestic singing voice trapped in musical amber for future generations to discover, and I love it accordingly.

I knew you'd come to a shocking revelation while rediscovering The Elder!
This may be the year I will disappear.

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2009, 10:03:04 AM »
I forgot all about that poster. They are wearing black sweaters. And Ace looks like a pretty girl.
My mommy made me boots.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »

I knew you'd come to a shocking revelation while rediscovering The Elder!

Well, it was more that I rediscovered how much Dynasty sucks aside from songs 1-3.  But that's the same thing, sort of.

It took me forever to find that poster, ca. 1984.  I think it's gathering dust in my mom's attic.  But I have it!

Maybe I will put it up in my office.

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
you could make a mint printing cardboard love guns and putting them in $2 copies of the record

My mommy made me boots.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »
you could make a mint printing cardboard love guns and putting them in $2 copies of the record

I didn't know you were an economist, McPhee.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2009, 12:50:29 PM »
Another great review, buffcoat. Of course, now I can't get "I Was Made For Lovin' You" out of my head. But that's okay.

mostlymeat

« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
Based on this review, I think I will leave Dynasty (and solo Paul/Gene/Peter) out of my budding collection of Kiss records.

-Ajax

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »
Based on this review, I think I will leave Dynasty (and solo Paul/Gene/Peter) out of my budding collection of Kiss records.

-Ajax

Ajax,

Songs #1 and #3 are must haves, and #2 is good.  Definitely worth $2.97 on Itunes for those three.  You can skip the rest.

Solo Gene is worth owning if only for how weird it is.  More on that later.

mostlymeat

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »

-Ajax

Ajax,

Songs #1 and #3 are must haves, and #2 is good.  Definitely worth $2.97 on Itunes for those three.  You can skip the rest.

Solo Gene is worth owning if only for how weird it is.  More on that later.

What's an itunes? Can I buy records there?

They want $9.99 for solo Gene down at Amoeba records in Berkeley, which is exactly $8.99 more than I'm willing to pay! The trouble with shitty records is that not enough people bought them, so now they are rare and cost too much!

-Ajax

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »
Downloads, baby, downloads.  Em pee threes.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
No! Don't download music! It's killing the record industry.

So says Chaim Witz.