Author Topic: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation  (Read 137214 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: KISS: An Album-by-Album Critical Reevaluation
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, PEOPLE!

Wes, I did watch the "Talk to Me" video.  I liked the blinding reflections coming off Ace's shoulder apparatus.  I agree about the capes.

[youtube]Iqp2zF1H_2w[/youtube]

By far the most disturbing thing, though, is what Gene does with his, uh, crotch during Ace's guitar solo.  Always the spotlight stealer.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
This article is worth reading if only for seeing someone try to rehash Paul's banter in print:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1133218.html

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
Scenario:  you're in a bad car crash.  What are your first two thoughts?

The original members of KISS:

Gene.  This one's easy.  1: "I hope the camera crew got this."  2: "Who can I sue?"
Paul.  Also easy.  1.  "Not my beautiful face!"  2.  "How long till I can have sex again?"

Peter.  So sad.  1.  "Did Gene cut my brake line?"  2.  "Will Gene and Paul even send a card?"
Ace.  Harder to figure.  1.  "Whoa.  Cool."  2.  "Ack!"

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »
I think Peter's first thought would be "I...I'm still alive?" And his second thought would be "Why? Why, God? Why won't you let this torment end? What do you possibly have to gain by refusing to allow me to finally move on from this misery? I can't keep on going like this. I just can't. But you won't let the pain end" and then sobbing quietly for about ten or fifteen minutes.

You're probably right about Ace's thoughts. Right after the Ack, he'd probably get up from wherever he was - in the mangled remains of the car, from a hospital bed or from the shallow grave he'd been dumped in - and continue on to whatever his destination before the crash had been, even if he'd been in a coma for a while.

Thoughts on the Talk To Me video: I also noticed the constant shining of Ace's shoulder armor. I did miss Gene's crotch moves because I was focusing on his facial expressions at that moment, which seem to be a cross between Animal from the Muppets and the acting style of Donald "Ogre" Gibb from Revenge of the Nerds.

The Youtube comments point out Ace's wink and kiss move towars the second half of the video, which is high quality. I also like Ace's patented head shake move, which he does often enough that I assume he's counting off in his head how long he needs to wait between spasmodic head jerks. Gene may have only given him permission for so many.
This may be the year I will disappear.

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
until watching that Talk to Me video, I'd never made the connection that Ace is Joan Jett
My mommy made me boots.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »
After reading Buffcoat's review, I got out my copy of Unmasked and listened to it for the first time in 27 years or so. I'd like to submit the lunkhead's defense of Ace: at least the guy contributed rock songs to the album. Not his best riffs, dum-dum lyrics, but the guitar is front and center in the songs (not quivery keyboard lines) and he doesn't try to get fancy with his concepts (like having a European girlfriend - that's something folks in Rockford can relate to).

I'm puzzled why Gene and Paul allowed "Torpedo Girl" to be included. It's so completely out of place. It sounds like a sub-par Rick Derringer number in the midst of Gene and Paul hoping for Top 40 radio play. I remember KISS bragging about how they didn't need radio, but most of this record sounds like them desperately trying to fit in.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
And a European girlfriend who lives with her parents.

It wouldn't be Gene if it weren't gross.

My theory on "Torpedo Girl" is that it was either written when Ace was super-exceptionally (for Ace) high OR that he was sober when he wrote it.  Neither would have been a good thing.

I don't know what Gene and Paul were thinking with Unmasked.  To me, they seemed to be thinking of how much they hated everyone else in the band.

I thought about something today: the KISS 1974-1982 career path eerily mirrors the Pink Floyd 1968-1983 career path.

Two guys start dominating a four-man band.  One of those guys is a super asshole, and the other one is kind of an asshole.  They boot out the goofiest one for being addicted to drugs (sorry, Rick!).  The other one kind of leaves on his own.  They make concept records and have ridiculously gargantuan stage shows.

The only difference is that Gene and Paul stuck it out with each other.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
Wow, I had no idea that the KISS-curious were so turned off by talk of the Floyd.

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »
this is such bullshit, buffcoat
My mommy made me boots.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
It'll ramp up when I write the entry for Ace Frehley.

I guess I should say, "we'll get back in the New York Groove."

chinapig

• Policemans heel

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
Good find, Chinapig!  I take it you noticed who conducted the interview?

Ha ha ha!  All the FOTs who skip this beautiful thread won't have any idea what our favorite drummer's been up to.

PS Ace actually comes off as a really good guy.  Who knew?  Of course, it's not hard to be the best *person* of the four, but a lot of the stuff in the interview shows him to be, uh, quite thoughtful. 

PPS I bet when Gene reads that interview, he will call up Peter and scream at him for an hour.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
Pearl Jam is one of the most successful artists of the last ten years?  And Garth Brooks?

chinapig

• Policemans heel
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
Good find, Chinapig!  I take it you noticed who conducted the interview?

Ha ha ha!  All the FOTs who skip this beautiful thread won't have any idea what our favorite drummer's been up to.

PS Ace actually comes off as a really good guy.  Who knew?  Of course, it's not hard to be the best *person* of the four, but a lot of the stuff in the interview shows him to be, uh, quite thoughtful. 

PPS I bet when Gene reads that interview, he will call up Peter and scream at him for an hour.
i hope Wurster read the questions as Gene

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
Quote from: Ace Frehley on August 03, 2009
You know, writing comes to me real easy these days, but it always has been like that for me. I write about my experiences in life. Go back and listen to “Parasite” or “Shock Me.” Some inspirations have been good, some bad, some life-threatening like “Shock Me.” [Laughs]

The more I think about it, the more I wish every Ace song title was based on a real, freak accident that happened to Ace which he miraculously survived.

Quote from: Ace Frehley on "New York Groove" on August 03, 2009
Eddie Kramer talked me into recording that song … and he was right! [Laughs] I was the first musician to play on the grounds of the new Yankee Stadium earlier this year. You’d never guess what song I performed!

I was hoping the interviewer's follow-up was going to be: "I give up. What song?" This was a nice interview and it's good to know that Ace sounds like he's got it all together. He should be a Best Show guest so he and Tom can discuss their mutual enthusiasm for roller coasters.
This may be the year I will disappear.