Author Topic: Top Chef Las Vegas  (Read 22049 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Re: Top Chef Las Vegas
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2009, 11:05:36 AM »
Cary Grant will be solid but not enough

He's Cary Grant now?! I hope you meant Gary Cooper because Bryan is lacking Mr. Grant's charm.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
My apologies to Sarah.

Sarah

« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »
Gail:  I didn't notice her breasts at all the first time around, but, after various blogs panted over them, I made it a point to look for them when I rewatched the episode.  Turns out they were pretty easy to spot, and, when I spied them, I thought of you, Martin. 

Quibble:  Bryan is Gary Cooper, not Cary Grant.

Finally:  I wish Jen had at least won the Quickfire.  Leaving with an expensive car would have taken some of the sting out of her dismissal.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »
Gail:  I didn't notice her breasts at all the first time around, but, after various blogs panted over them, I made it a point to look for them when I rewatched the episode.  Turns out they were pretty easy to spot, and, when I spied them, I thought of you, Martin. 

I appreciate that, Sarah.

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
The perfect nickname for Brian is BLONDE DRAPER.

Sarah

« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2009, 06:20:45 AM »
"Blond" (for he is not a lady).  And he doesn't have Don Draper's charm, either.  But he is my fave, nonetheless.

I'm watching the final ep. right now.  Twists abound.  And this time I'll remember to keep an eye open for Gail's cleavage.

Okay.  That's done.

* First things first:  Gail's garb was unusually modest.  Maybe she decided it was pointless trying to compete with Padma's pregnancy-engorged fruit basket.

* I was at first amused by the twist relating to the sous chefs, but I quickly changed my mind.  It hardly seems fair that at that point in the competition a finalist faced the possibility of being sabotaged by having an incompetent sous cheft foisted upon him. 

* Sidenote:  Borderline personality Jesse became a blonde!  And I believe she removed many of her piercings for the occasion.

* The mothers' surprise visit reeked of Hell's Kitchen.  Between this and the sous chef nonsense, Bravo really seemed to be desperate to inject drama into the proceedings.  Add to that the "mystery basket" course (shades of Chopped), the requirement to make a dessert, and the childhood memory course, this was a far cry from the "cook the best meal in your life" command of previous seasons.  I guess they figured the three finalists were all so accomplished that something had to be done to jazz things up, but I really would happily have exchanged all the folderol for an hour devoted entirely to following the three as they prepared exactly what they wanted.

* Sidenote 1:  When Tom (or Padma--I don't remember) said, "I hope you had a nice time visiting your mothers," I amused myself imagining a follow-up of "Because if you don't do well, it'll be the last visit you'll ever have."

* Sidenote 2:  'Twas cruel to have the mothers at the final table.  Not so much on the contestants' behalf, but because the mamas risked hearing some painfully honest comments from the other diners and because it probably made those diners feel awkward about being honest.  Another gimmick, and as pointless as Michael's faux mushroom.

* It was clear pretty early on that Kevin wasn't going to win.  And, when Michael did, after a momentary pang, I was happy enough.  Kevin and Bryan both have restaurants; Michael does not.  And regardless of his personality he is unquestionably a good, imaginative chef.  Sure, I'd probably prefer Kevin or Bryan's food, but what the hell.  (Actually, I think if Michael and Bryan were merged into one, the result might be the perfect chef.) 

Exciting reunion show next week.  I'm sure there will be shocking revelations galore.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
Also annoyed about the twists, and the mothers. Unnecessary and speculative. In fact, it made the final pretty boring for me. I'd much rather just have the three final cheftestants in the kitchen, on their own, doing their stuff.

They seemed to downplay Michael's douchiness in the final, and I appreciated that, even though we already know what kind of goon he is. He is a very competent chef though, and probably deserved to win.

Looking forward to the reunion show.

Trotskie

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
Top Chef should adopt the scoring system used on TC Masters.  I'll go read the blogs and find out why Michael won, I guess.  But just by watching that episode I have no clear picture of why Michael was chosen as the winner.  Feels like bad storytelling to me; very unsatisfying.

And I agree about the twists as well, particularly the randomization of the sous.  Randomizing the order of selection would have been fine, but that was just eh, silly. 

I wish that I did not feel as negatively about this show as I do now.  I really like the four finalists and I've come to appreciate Tom Colicchio (to a certain degree). 

Oh, and that collection of restaurateurs or whatever they were creeped me the hell out.  No food would look tasty at a table surrounded by that crew.  And Bravo editors: please, no more shots of half picked-over plates of food. 

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2009, 10:59:19 PM »
* I was at first amused by the twist relating to the sous chefs, but I quickly changed my mind.  It hardly seems fair that at that point in the competition a finalist faced the possibility of being sabotaged by having an incompetent sous cheft foisted upon him.

Since this was probably the best top 3 (or 4) they've ever had, I wish they could've gone gimmick free.  I kinda understand it for the seasons when there is a clear favorite and they need to make things a little more "interesting" but I think most of us find it much more satisfying to watch 3 excellent chefs trying to best each other without any silly twists.  The wonderful finale of Top Chef Masters would be a perfect template to follow: dish from childhood, dish from "now", dish from the future (though I guess it might be more difficult since most of the contestants are younger).

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2009, 11:27:51 PM »
Scott Baio owns a winery?

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »
Nothing new to say that hasn't been already, but even with the flaws it's sad to see this season go, including all the recaps and this thread. I think next season, though, I'm going to return to only watching halfway in. There are far too many contestants in the beginning (who am I kidding, I'll be downloading EVERY EPISODE).

RIP Top Chef Las Vegas thread, Welcome new Top Chef thread 2010!

Let us pause once more to give Omar a victory lap for his preseason picks:

Final 3:

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
Yes, kudos to Omar!

That pick-the-winners-based-on-their-promo-photos game is easily the best non-cleavage thing about Top Chef.

Sarah

« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
1.  Reunion show:  Dull.  Well, dull and a bit uncomfortable when the Robin business came up.  (If you missed the show, be assured that she's still a turd, in case you were worrying.  Oh, Mike I. continues to be repellent as well.)

2.  Andy Cohen--why?

3.  Poor Bryan.  I wanted him win "fan favorite" just so he could get a little cash out of this affair.  Luck was not a lady to him through the entire show.  She should be ashamed of herself.