Author Topic: Fan Boy Missteps  (Read 4456 times)

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
Fan Boy Missteps
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:23 PM »
Last night’s discussion of the Yellow Hat Guy (seen here: http://superfunadventuretime.com/2009/08/09/avengers-avenged/) inadvertently brought me to a realization of the Best Show’s hidden agenda. One so hidden, that I am not sure Tom – the velvet throated genius - even realizes it himself. Through various conversations with callers and guests alike, a moral study of fanaticism and its victims has emerged.

Recent examples:
•   Last night a look into the world of comic book fan boys though this Yellow Hatted Blogger.
•   ICP and their fanatical juggalo following has been ruthlessly examined through the investigative skills of Tom and his callers.
•   Listeners experienced certain comedy fans taking to many critical liberties with notable guest Martin Short.

The hypothesis that seems to be anchoring Tom’s brilliant social examination is not a question of whether one should be a fan or not but instead: “When do fans over step their bounds?” As the hoards of juggalos have proven – every fanbase has a different definition of going too far but as I write this I realize that I am writing into fan board for a show I fanatically love so I am fully aware that somewhere in me I can turn into a sort of “Tom Juggalo” or Yellow Hatted Radio lover. What line do I have to cross to become that person who feels it is their responsibility to inform Martin Short that some films in his large body of work are less than enjoyable? What line do I have to cross to find the idea of a “Gathering of the Juggalos” (or some sort of equivalent) really exciting and generally a good time?

Friends of Tom, what must we do to cross the line from fan-friend to fan-enemy?
And if you have witnessed or experienced a fan boy misstep in your time – please share.
"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art."
— Orson Welles

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Fan Boy Missteps
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

I think it happens right around the time you start finding hidden messages in your favorite radio shows.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »

I think it happens right around the time you start finding hidden messages in your favorite radio shows.

Oh Boy Am I in Trouble.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »
One time on the forum I pushed the envelope with my curiosity of something that was said on the show. The thread was locked and then another FOT snapped at me. I felt like a toddler who unknowingly got too close to the burner and daddy slapped his hand and then mommy yelled at him.

I'm not a fan of much so I'm a bit of a newbie to being a fanatic. I quickly learned that there are boundaries that I wasn't aware of and so now I  try to be respectful of peoples space on here.

I love all FOT's.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »

Sending Tom a dead fish is one way to do it.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

betheboy

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
I wouldn't call expecting listeners to be respectful a hidden agenda.  Furthermore I'd say that if you have to ask "Am I going too far" you probably are. 

emma

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »
Remember that while you might know a bunch of things about this person, and while you might be hugely influenced by their thoughts and feelings and etc., they know literally nothing about you. You're talking to a stranger. Be polite. Be nice. Don't be weird or overly familiar.

I'm telling you this because I couldn't tell the girl I saw at a Decemberists concert last week. She was talking seriously to her friends about how she was going to get a Hazards Of Love-themed tattoo so she and Colin Meloy would have something to talk about "eventually." I have never heard someone say that word so creepily.

betheboy

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
Remember that while you might know a bunch of things about this person, and while you might be hugely influenced by their thoughts and feelings and etc., they know literally nothing about you. You're talking to a stranger. Be polite. Be nice. Don't be weird or overly familiar.

That is excellent advice.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
I wouldn't call expecting listeners to be respectful a hidden agenda.  Furthermore I'd say that if you have to ask "Am I going too far" you probably are. 

"Don't ever think you have gone too far."
from
Press On
by
Peter Stampfel and the Bottle Caps.

My anthem
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
When you unfollow someone on Twitter, make sure you make it official, and provide reasons.  Nothing annoys famous comedians more than being unfollowed without a good explanation, and a chance to set things right.

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »

I'm telling you this because I couldn't tell the girl I saw at a Decemberists concert last week. She was talking seriously to her friends about how she was going to get a Hazards Of Love-themed tattoo so she and Colin Meloy would have something to talk about "eventually." I have never heard someone say that word so creepily.

There is a picture of a man with Adam Duritz (of counting crows infamy) tattooed on his back. I wonder if he, like this young Meloy obsessed girl, picked his ink as a sort of conversation starter when he meets the Duritz.

I think there is a certain level of Celebrity that isn't as quite standoffish as "SUPERSTAR" status - and it dupes its fans into thinking you are best friends with the celebrity. Celebrity BFFs anyone? http://www.avclub.com/articles/celebrity-bffs,31406/
— Orson Welles

Andy from Atlanta

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »

and obviously I don't think anyone is sending a hidden message... consciously.

But seriously, which best show is better? the one played forward or the one you rewind to hear? The guests on the rewind were out of this world this week.
— Orson Welles

Sarah

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »
One time on the forum I pushed the envelope with my curiosity of something that was said on the show. The thread was locked and then another FOT snapped at me. I felt like a toddler who unknowingly got too close to the burner and daddy slapped his hand and then mommy yelled at him.

I'm not a fan of much so I'm a bit of a newbie to being a fanatic. I quickly learned that there are boundaries that I wasn't aware of and so now I  try to be respectful of peoples space on here.

I love all FOT's.

Sycophant.

Actually, I thought you got a raw deal back then. 

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »

Oh Boy Am I in Trouble.

He didn't say hidden messages in your head.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »

An astute guy has stated over and over in external interviews how weird he finds it when people who know a radio show assume they know the show host. I think a Mr Zimmerman has explored the same theme.