Author Topic: Hi everybody!  (Read 8068 times)

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Hi everybody!
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:38:15 AM »
I just got into the show after not getting it at all for a couple of years. Now I can't get enough. I swear I hear the bed music in my head all day long now. I actually let out a little cheer when Spike called in after his brief absence.

This will wear off, right? Right?

hugman

Re: Hi everybody!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
hellllllllllloooooooo clayyyy.

nope. it won't.

betheboy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:53:27 PM »
I just got into the show after not getting it at all for a couple of years. Now I can't get enough.

So what happened to finally get you on board, besides coming coming out of a coma?

not that clay

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 11:48:50 PM »

So what happened to finally get you on board, besides coming coming out of a coma?

All of my favorite comedians love love love The Best Show so I knew it had to be good, but every time I gave it a shot I HATED it. When I read about the recent six hour show somewhere the audacity of that was irresistible. I had to give it another try.  It just wore me down.  It was like a cult kidnapping and indoctrination. All because I was too lazy to turn off my ipod.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »
Laziness in the pursuit of good comedy is no vice.

I'm not even sure what that means.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

betheboy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:01:05 AM »
That's a good reason, glad to see you made it.

DoodleJump!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »
Awright Clay! Way to give the Best another chance. Welcome.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »

All of my favorite comedians love love love The Best Show so I knew it had to be good, but every time I gave it a shot I HATED it. When I read about the recent six hour show somewhere the audacity of that was irresistible. I had to give it another try.  It just wore me down.  It was like a cult kidnapping and indoctrination. All because I was too lazy to turn off my ipod.

I think talk shows generally are like that. They're hard to get into because of the commitment in learning how the host thinks and so on.  I hated 90s Howard Stern (modern HS is just boring) until I was forced to listen to it every day and the regulars all became my "friends."  (I now rate The Best Show above Stern, except for the time when Howard Stern had a caller who had fallen asleep while on hold on the air snoring in the background for more than an hour, which is probably the best radio moment ever.)

not that clay

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
I caught myself saying "Helllloooo" like Spike the other day. Yikes!

It's weird --  the things I didn't like at first are the things I like most now. For example, after about the fourth time I heard Wurster misquoting "Clifford" I thought it was hilarious, and that just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

Sarah

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »
I just got into the show after not getting it at all for a couple of years. Now I can't get enough. I swear I hear the bed music in my head all day long now. I actually let out a little cheer when Spike called in after his brief absence.

It will fade, unfortunately.  Treasure these moments:  They are like the three-month honeymoon period at the start of a new relationship.  What comes next has its own rewards, but in my book nothing beats the first flush of passion.

betheboy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »

It will fade, unfortunately.  Treasure these moments:  They are like the three-month honeymoon period at the start of a new relationship.  What comes next has its own rewards, but in my book nothing beats the first flush of passion.

Will it fade?  I can't speak for anyone but me but I'm a long, long way past  the three month mark and I still feel the same excitement when I recognize a caller before they say their name.

Sarah

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
Read more carefully (she responds crankily):  I merely likened the first stage of Best Show enthusiasm to "the three-month honeymoon period at the start of a new relationship"; I didn't say it lasts only three months.  When things change depends entirely on the individual, but change, I promise you, they do. 

betheboy

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »
Read more carefully (she responds crankily):  I merely likened the first stage of Best Show enthusiasm to "the three-month honeymoon period at the start of a new relationship"; I didn't say it lasts only three months.  When things change depends entirely on the individual, but change, I promise you, they do. 

Thank you for the clarification. 

Sarah

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 02:26:39 PM »
You're very welcome, and apologies for the crank.  It's hot.

not that clay

it's a disease
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »
Alright, the buzz has started to wear off.

I'd subscribed to the podcast before I really got into the show so it was pretty easy for me to go back and listen to a lot of old shows on my iphone. I just got into the habit of listening whenever I was washing the dishes or walking to the grocery store or whatever.  I can tell from looking at iTunes that since June 9th, when I listened to a show all the way through for the first time, that I've listened to 25 episodes of The Best Show, clocking in at a total of ... oh dear lord ... 2 days 20 hours and 33 minutes.

I used to listen to high-falutin' stuff like "In Our Time" with Melvyn Bragg from the BBC. Now I'm catching up with Larry the Perv. What is wrong with me?