Author Topic: Marvel.com interview with Tom! -- UPDATED with Part 2!  (Read 13233 times)

bruce (So swiss can chat)

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Marvel.com interview with Tom! -- UPDATED with Part 2!
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
That, or a Blade mini-series set in the 1970s, where the daywalker travels to England and has to protect the band Slade from a group of vampire soccer hooligan fans who are upset that Slade dropped their skinhead look.
Blade was around in the 70's in The Tomb Of Dracula* looking like the complete opposite of the movie version

*Marvel was just bat shit insane in the 70's

DanFromBrooklyn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:11 PM »
That, or a Blade mini-series set in the 1970s, where the daywalker travels to England and has to protect the band Slade from a group of vampire soccer hooligan fans who are upset that Slade dropped their skinhead look.
Blade was around in the 70's in The Tomb Of Dracula* looking like the complete opposite of the movie version

*Marvel was just bat shit insane in the 70's

I think I prefer that to the Wesley Snipes version!

MikeInManhattan

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Personally, I prefer the ramblings of delusional, semi-racist old Golden Age "icons." Those old guys sure let their craziness loose in the panels.

http://robotsweatshop.blogspot.com/2009/03/robot-sweatshop-episode-18-barry.html

Barry Ludtnik, you're an American treasure. And like most treasure, you belong under 6 feet of dirt.

kevin_

• Policemans heel
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2009, 04:35:45 AM »
Damage Control

Nice pick. Just sparked my memory of my parents buying me a 10-comic bundle from Costco when I was like 9, and Damage Control #1 was in there. Didn't ever get another one. I wonder if they got around to cleaning up that mess. Also included in the bundle--SuperPro.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
Damage Control would be great for Tom, as would a Power Man/Iron Fist revival.  Spider-Man is an obvious choice, but I think he'd do a great job with it.  I'd really like to see him do a Secret Wars II reboot, maybe starring the frustrated TV writer who turns into a golden-armored supervillain on a Pegasus and starts destroying fast food places.  Or maybe the Beyonder just strolling around Los Angeles, being an omnipotent idiot.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2009, 06:38:55 AM »
Man, this is pretty crazy, but believe it or not I actually DIDN'T read this interview before making that S.C.U.M.M. Force cover. I actually started drawing it the night of that very show, put it aside, and only finished it just before I shared it. It's very interesting! Good interview.

DanFromBrooklyn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Man, this is pretty crazy, but believe it or not I actually DIDN'T read this interview before making that S.C.U.M.M. Force cover. I actually started drawing it the night of that very show, put it aside, and only finished it just before I shared it. It's very interesting! Good interview.

Haha, that's awesome.  There are forces at work here bigger than either of us, Regular Joe! (I think that force is Mike.)

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »
Awesome interview, even for a non-reader-of-comic-books.

I was intrigued by the pic of Matt Fraction's Best Show reference - I guess I perceived those superhero comic books as having pretty much all male characters and female characters simply as devices to drive their motivations. Which has led me to wonder, what are some good comics for, or that might appeal more to girls/women?

kevin_

• Policemans heel
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »
what are some good comics for, or that might appeal more to girls/women?

Alias! I think it's got a pretty strong female lead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28comics%29. This and Exiles got me back into reading comics.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2009, 01:08:12 AM »

I was intrigued by the pic of Matt Fraction's Best Show reference - I guess I perceived those superhero comic books as having pretty much all male characters and female characters simply as devices to drive their motivations. Which has led me to wonder, what are some good comics for, or that might appeal more to girls/women?

Any of Brian K. Vaughan's stuff.

kevin_

• Policemans heel
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »

Any of Brian K. Vaughan's stuff.

YES. I forgot about this fool cause he's been half-AWOL for a while but I ride for this guy 100 percent. I bought 3 digests of the uber hip Runaways for my sister a few years back. Love Ex Machina, about the super powered mayor of NY. I'm less of a fanatic for Y the Last Man than some people I know but it's good too. You guys ever read BKV's version of the movie script? Not bad at all.

DanFromBrooklyn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »

Hey, thanks for checking out the interview! As for comics you might like, I think everyone else's recommendations have been spot on.  I'd add, if you want to go for the more serious lit type material, "Persepolis" and "Fun Home" are both excellent.  I'm not sure how open you are to the superhero stuff, but I think "Astonishing X-Men" (complete omnibus coming soon) by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday can be enjoyed by anyone, as can "All Star Superman," which I've read 3 times, and it continually blows me away.

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be checking out my local comic book store (there's on right in the train station in Astoria) for these.

DanFromBrooklyn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
KKM, I forgot -- you should definitely check out "We3" by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely.  Of all their amazing work, that ranks around the top for me.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »
Good suggestions so far, and I would add Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez' Love and Rockets, all of which is collected.  And there are quite a few great female writers/cartoonists out there: Annie Nocenti, Gail Simone, Jessica Abel, Dame Darcy, Ariel Schrag.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.