Author Topic: Best albums of the 2000s  (Read 7768 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Best albums of the 2000s
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:08:17 PM »
I don't know what they are. 

I'm expecting that lots of the buzzed-about bands won't make the cut--contemporary critical opinion is nearly always laughable years later, and I seriously doubt that Wilco or The Strokes or the Arctic Monkeys or Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are among the best bands of the past 10 or so years. But there are a lot of bloggers and so on publicly committed to certain opinions so I think that reevaluation will be harder than normal.

BUT, given the number of albums released in recent years, the 2000s will in retrospect seem like a very good time for music.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Best albums of the 2000s
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »
Umm, twitter.com/davefromknoxvil

Choose "favorites"

I have completed 200 - 183; will take 182 days to do the other 182.

There will be controversy.

Here's an example

DaveFromKnoxvil#HW 191) Caribou - Andorra; Preview at http://tinyurl.com/nf65cw. Fragile vocals drift in an out of psychedelic soundscapes; dreamlike.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:23:08 PM »
Clicking on favorites does nothing.  Twitter is broken as usual.

Are you doing one of your famous numerical analyses or is it your personal opinion? 

I'd rather your personal opinion as I think a lot of critics have lost their minds.  Though a summation of what the great and good think is valuable, too.  A better Pazz & Jop.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
I give you Shovel's top album from each decade thus far:

Radiohead - Kid A
The Microphones - The Glow pt 2
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
The Rapture - Echoes
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Knife - Silent Shout
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

It doesn't get more timeless than that. 

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
It's a mix of me and them. My experience is too limited to try to do it based only on my opinions; I would never, for instance, have gotten Jill Scott in there.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »

Radiohead - Kid A
The Rapture - Echoes
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Knife - Silent Shout

See, it's my expectation that albums like these are going to see a massive resurgence as people remember they went on the record as saying that they were good.

Meanwhile, I've often said that certain indie flavors of the month were shit only to change my mind.  Death Cab for Cutie turn out to be good, for instance, and not just for the Best Show connection.  Although partly because of that.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »
check out my thread on the subject.  the debate is getting lively.

http://www.friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,5516.0.html
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:55:25 PM »
Don't judge too soon - Ace Frehley is set to drop a new album at any minute!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »

Pitchfork will tell you on Sept. 28.

I've been looking at their top 500 songs this week and there's a whole lot of songs that I didn't even remember came out this decade.  It was nice to see Ted Leo get 2 songs on so far.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »

Pitchfork will tell you on Sept. 28.

I've been looking at their top 500 songs this week and there's a whole lot of songs that I didn't even remember came out this decade.  It was nice to see Ted Leo get 2 songs on so far.

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of the tracks are the openers to their respective albums? Something about that doesn't sit right with me. Not making fun of, or calling out, the 'Fork, but it just seems weird.

dnk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:12 AM »

Radiohead - Kid A
The Rapture - Echoes
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Knife - Silent Shout

See, it's my expectation that albums like these are going to see a massive resurgence as people remember they went on the record as saying that they were good.

Meanwhile, I've often said that certain indie flavors of the month were shit only to change my mind.  Death Cab for Cutie turn out to be good, for instance, and not just for the Best Show connection.  Although partly because of that.

I definitely see myself still listening to Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, and Fleet Foxes for a long time. Possibly Animal Collective and Panda Bear, but I'm not as positive about that.

You used to think Death Cab was shit?

One band that definitely didn't live up to the hype (for me; and in a big way) is Grizzly Bear. It's fine and all, but I would never be like "You know what I need to hear? Put on Grizzly Bear!" And I've talked about this with two of the people whose musical tastes I most trust, and they feel the same way. Who are the people that are loving this band so much?

I'll have to think about what albums I'd put up there, though.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 06:25:57 AM »
You mean to tell me you don't think kids in 70 years will be talking in hushed tones about Japandroids?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 09:21:32 AM »
One band that definitely didn't live up to the hype (for me; and in a big way) is Grizzly Bear. It's fine and all, but I would never be like "You know what I need to hear? Put on Grizzly Bear!" And I've talked about this with two of the people whose musical tastes I most trust, and they feel the same way. Who are the people that are loving this band so much?

I like Grizzly Bear, but they're not a band I'd really bother to defend since I can see why people wouldn't care for them.  It's the same way I feel about Fleet Foxes or Bon Iver, I can listen to it and it isn't bad, just not something I'd rush out to listen to.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »
When it comes to Grizzly Bear, I can get no farther than the "hits."  The deep cuts hold nothing for me.  "Two Weeks." "The Knife." Great songs. Great videos. 
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
You mean to tell me you don't think kids in 70 years will be talking in hushed tones about Japandroids?

I'm afraid that Japandroids might be overlooked in the Japanther commemoration festivities.