Author Topic: Quick! Need a terrible Lennon solo song!  (Read 2076 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Quick! Need a terrible Lennon solo song!
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
Quick! Friend trying to argue that, of The Beatles, McCartney is "dead last" in terms of talent and John rules all. Posted "Silly Love Songs" on Facebook to make her point.  If she wants to pick a low point to make her case, fine. But I know all four of the Beatles had low moments.  I want to counter by posting a lame Lennon song and ask "Should we judge John by this?"

I am not that familiar with John's solo career. But there must be a stinker in there somewhere. So anyone know a really bad one?

Thanks in advance.

-Jon
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: Quick! Need a terrible Lennon solo song!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
Um ... Imagine?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »
Do Yoko songs count?

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:48:03 AM »
Of his hits I'd say God ranks up there with Silly Love Songs with taking a premise too far.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
Pick a song at random from Some Time in New York City and chances are good that it's terrible.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:46:23 AM »
I'll not participate in such nonsense.  8)
from the land of pleasant living

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »
The first step in an any Lennon argument is to point out All Things Must Pass, a non-John album that's the best solo Beatles album. Her defenses weakened, you move on to early Macca solo stuff before finishing with Double Fantasy. Game.   

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:30:30 AM »
"Working Class Hero" is tripe. In fact, I can't really listen to anything from Plastic Ono Band except for "Do The Oz" and "Well Well Well".
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
"Working Class Hero" is tripe.

Yep - that's the way to go w/this argument & God or Imagine work well too - any of the songs where he's being "profound".  Like in Imagine, there are no countries, no hunger, no pain, no possessions, etc. Yeah, okay.

The guy had the world view of a 10 year old girl who dots her "i"s with hearts.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »
I'll not participate in such nonsense.  8)

I understand, Erica.  The debate I am having with my friend is all in good fun, and is indeed nonsense.  This is not healthcare reform or third-world debt.

But dismissing Paul as just a pretty boy who writes love songs drives me cuckoo because it is exactly what I used to do.  I am not trying to besmirch John Lennon in all of this. I am just trying to point out that the man is not infallible.

I ended up posting "Woman" which I think is just as sappy and featherweight as "Silly Love Songs."
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »

I ended up posting "Woman" which I think is just as sappy and featherweight as "Silly Love Songs."

Thank God some reason came into this conversation ;-)

Let's not forget that BOTH of them wrote I Wanna Hold Your Hand and a bazillion other sappy songs. I don't think either of them had a monopoly on cheese.
"Is this me?"

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
Let's not forget that BOTH of them wrote I Wanna Hold Your Hand and a bazillion other sappy songs. I don't think either of them had a monopoly on cheese.

This is very true. I like John Lennon's music.

However, I used to do the same thing as Jon. I used to think John Lennon's was the only post-Beatle solo material work to be taken seriously. I dismissed all of McCartney's stuff as pap. Until I actually listened to it.

They both put out their fair share of bad material. But I'd sooner put on a McCartney or Harrison record before I would a John Lennon record.

Here's an interesting topic, perhaps for another thread. If you could pick and choose songs from those early Beatles solo records (All Things Must Pass, Ram, Plastic Ono Band, etc.) and put together a 14th Beatles studio album, which songs would you select?

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »

However, I used to do the same thing as Jon. I used to think John Lennon's was the only post-Beatle solo material work to be taken seriously. I dismissed all of McCartney's stuff as pap. Until I actually listened to it.

I was of the same opinion more or less except it was his (The Fireman) last album Electric Arguments, which caught me by surprise. If someone can still be trying things creatively in the studio at his age and stature then more power to him.

I caught his impromptu gig on top of the Late Show marquee last July and I got all goosebumpy. There's a reason he's so rich; he's good.
"Is this me?"

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
Alright, I took a shot at answering my question in the post before last. Here's what I would pick:

1. Too Many People
2. My Sweet Lord
3. It Don't Come Easy
4. Well Well Well
5. Maybe I'm Amazed
6. Beware of Darkness
7. Back off Boogaloo
8. Jealous Guy
9. Tomorrow
10. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)
11. Cold Turkey

I think the sequencing could use some work. But I don't think this is a bad list.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 08:28:30 PM »
Just hold a copy of the awful "Rock and Roll" album. His Stand By Me would embarass Michael Bolton.