Author Topic: Your first FOT post  (Read 4430 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Your first FOT post
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

http://www.friendsoftom.com/board/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=fotboard

http://www.friendsoftom.com/newboard/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

If you just do /board it redirects to /newboard.

Hey, there's some spam up in there.  Awesome.  In fact it looks like spam posts are the majority on #1.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 07:38:19 PM »
Here's mine

Tom Tom Tom,

I keep hearing these horribly ominous threats that the podcasts are going away. Sadly, if the podcasts go away, they will take me with them. Surely I am not the only one in this position of having the podcasts as my only real show access. Please keep it, I beseech you,

dave from knoxville

No insights to be gained, as is normal.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
Re: What are FOT members listening to?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 12:22am »    Quote Quote Modify Modify

1. Bunker Hill - "Hide & Go Seek" + "The Girl Can't Dance."  Two wiiiild songs from the 50's.  Link Wray plays on the latter and it's no surprise.  I think he only recorded one other song (Bunker Hill, not Link). 
2. James Brown - Love Power Peace.  Recorded in 1970, not released until 1992.  Easily one of the hardest JB live recordings, due in no small part to the presence of Catfish Collins on guitar.  JB lets him do his thing.  The "Brother Rapp/Ain't It Funky Now" medley from Star Time is from this. 
3.  Charles Mingus - "Scenes in the City."  Totally great jazz/poetry collaboration with Lonnie Elders about a struggling jazz fan who lives and breathes the music in Harlem.  A LOT better than it sounds, since this is Mingus and all.  Later sampled by Gang Starr!
4.  John Cage and some other guy  - "The City Wears a Slouch Hat."  An almost Kafka/Lynch-like surreal radio production, created and actually broadcast in 1942.  The central character wanders through a vaguely noir-ish urban canvas, exchanging non-sequiters and arbitrary pulp-ish dialogue with a series of floating characters (all voiced with oblivious 1940's dramatic gusto).  Meanwhile Cage makes a percussive racket in the background, and there's plenty of shortwave hiss and odd noises. 
5. Swing For a Crime - one of those Crypt 50's comp LPs.  Vintage movie dialogue interspersed with fun delinquient music and novelties.  Features the Hollywood Persuaders' "Drums-a-Go-Go" (used in Natural Born Killers, I'm told) and a Les Baxter song that was used in "Wild At Heart."

Some things nevah change. 

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
Post #1: Dull.

Quote from: 246       FOT Discussion / FOT Discussion / Re: FOTs sound off!      Nov 19th, 2002, 6:57pm
Nice work Chris and Gord- yet another means to 'Experience the Difference'.

Post #2: First Threadkill.

Quote from: 245       FOT Discussion / FOT Discussion / Torturing Eggy      Nov 26th, 2002, 10:39pm
What are Tom and Terre thinking?

Somebody call PETA...

Thanks to yesno for helping to relive awkward moments from the past.
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
Couldn't be more appropriate:

Even though I rarely see them, I'm always pulling for the Rock's movies to do really well because I think he's a swell guy. He is, after all, the people's champion.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
Always the completist/Newbridge obsessive:

144   TBSOWFMU Discussion / TBSOWFMU Discussion / kid midnight?  Feb 18th, 2004, 3:25pm 
where did the kid midnight character start?

he's mentioned by several Wurster villains (Augie Richards, for one) as a DJ competitor to Tom

Is he another alias for Hot Rockin Ronny Fuqua or what?  Does he ever make an actual appearance?

I gotta know... 

The answer to my question, which I think I never got, is "yes."

Second post:

143   TBSOWFMU Discussion / TBSOWFMU Discussion / Re: best show chracter question  Mar 25th, 2004, 4:00pm 
Yes, it was Wurster.  I liked when Bruce Willis was in the car on the way to the studio.

Did Howard Dean rip off that scream fior his speech in Iowa?

"Aaaah!  I didn't overreact at all, you PIECE OF FILTH!"

My favorite is still the first Zachary Brimstead: 

"I think I speak for all your listeners when I say 'play some barbershop quartet music!'"

"How about KISS?" 

Already a mention of KISS, plus more obsessive need-to-know.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »
ALSO. I NEVER GOT AN ANSWER TO THIS POST THAT WAS SATISFACTORY!!!! I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

136   TBSOWFMU Discussion / TBSOWFMU Discussion / what is Fudge?  May 12th, 2004, 12:30pm 
Jeff Cooper of Radio Hut makes an aside reference to "it's got something called Fudge" in describing (I think) the Port-A-Ghetto.

What is Fudge?  Is it some kind of inside joke?

Several people have mentioned how funny it is - I want to be in on the joke, too! 
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »
Boy, I really like myself and all but I never want to read my own internet posts again. My advice to myself back then would be to tone down the enthusiasm, because you sound like a dick, past me. That advice probably should still apply to me now, but you don't see any advice giving time travelers here, do you. Nice try future me, you lose again!

Actually I wouldn't change a thing. Still love it.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
ALSO. I NEVER GOT AN ANSWER TO THIS POST THAT WAS SATISFACTORY!!!! I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

136   TBSOWFMU Discussion / TBSOWFMU Discussion / what is Fudge?  May 12th, 2004, 12:30pm 
Jeff Cooper of Radio Hut makes an aside reference to "it's got something called Fudge" in describing (I think) the Port-A-Ghetto.

What is Fudge?  Is it some kind of inside joke?

Several people have mentioned how funny it is - I want to be in on the joke, too! 

Tragic Buffy Tragic!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Pastor Josh

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »
Huh, silly but true:

271     The Best Show on WFMU / Hey New People! / Re: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!    on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:59 PM
Hello.  I'm Pastor Josh.  I live in rural Illinois try to do good stuff.

The next few are a little embarrassing. 
Who I don't have chocolate?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 12:21:43 AM »
Huh, silly but true:

271     The Best Show on WFMU / Hey New People! / Re: WELCOME NEW PEOPLE!    on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:59 PM

Nothing at all embarrassing about your posts, Unicorn Commander Josh. I'd say you got off to quite a good start.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 12:55:11 AM »
What an ass I was.

Quote from: 12345678
I'm listening to last nights shows and Tom eluded to the fact that the show wasn't going to be on terrestrial radio any more.  Does he tell us later if he's going to a satellite service and if so, which one?
But I made up for it with post #2
Quote from: 12345678
The masses are asses.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Pastor Josh

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 01:45:13 AM »
Huh, silly but true:

Nothing at all embarrassing about your posts, Unicorn Commander Josh. I'd say you got off to quite a good start.

I'm growing to love Unicorn Commander Josh.  Should I start using that as my call-in name?
Who I don't have chocolate?

Sarah

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
Hey, there's some spam up in there.  Awesome.  In fact it looks like spam posts are the majority on #1.

Jason gave me admin powers on the second board a while ago so I could get rid of all the spam there; I'd be happy to do the same for the original board as well.  I don't know who's still around who could do that, though.  Maybe Petey?

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
Me in June 2007:
Indeed, a great show. In the past two weeks Tom has made fun of where I work and where I live, and done so well.

A mystery, however -- if Tom was in McCarren Park, was he there attending the Renegade Craft Fair?

Meh. I was hoping for more intrigue. It's no Pastor Josh First Post.